LJS Letter 12/3: Riley made NU football fun again

zoogs

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No he is not. Im sorry but that is not normal people character. Normal people piss and moan and give up when things get hard. Thats why normal people usually don't spend their entire lives making millions of dollars to do what they love. 

No they don't.  Most people keep going.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No he is not. Im sorry but that is not normal people character. Normal people piss and moan and give up when things get hard. Thats why normal people usually don't spend their entire lives making millions of dollars to do what they love. 

What?

Being able to "coach" is why they get paid the millions.  Being a "nice guy" is an expectation of everyone walking down the street.

My dad is a normal guy.  Always smiles and never acts mad in public.  He lost his farm in the 80's, he lost his passion and dream.  He had no choice but to try and save it by taking on two extra jobs to no avail.  He then ran for County Assessor, a job he hated, but knew he was more than qualified for.  He did that for 16 years and outside of the people he worked with, I swear he hated every second of it.  But no one could have told you that.  He then took on a job as a network administrator for the local bank because of his personal relationships.  Again putting in long and unappreciated hours.  He is my Dad and a "normal" guy to most.  

Being nice when facing adversity isn't a "bonus" it is an expectation for a person in civilized society.  It's the people that "give up" is who we tend to look down on, not as peers.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

No they don't.  Most people keep going.

Yea sure thats why everyone is living their dreams out. Youre wrong. People are scared and live in their comfort zones. That's why most people never accomplish their dreams. 95% of people settle in life. Mike Riley did not. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yea sure thats why everyone is living their dreams out. Youre wrong. People are scared and live in their comfort zones. That's why most people never accomplish their dreams. 95% of people settle in life. Mike Riley did not. 

Why would MR settle when he is paid millions of dollars to poorly perform a job he loves?

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I agree with that...Riley was out of his comfort zone in the profession he was in.

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

What?

Being able to "coach" is why they get paid the millions.  Being a "nice guy" is an expectation of everyone walking down the street.

My dad is a normal guy.  Always smiles and never acts mad in public.  He lost his farm in the 80's, he lost his passion and dream.  He had no choice but to try and save it by taking on two extra jobs to no avail.  He then ran for County Assessor, a job he hated, but knew he was more than qualified for.  He did that for 16 years and outside of the people he worked with, I swear he hated every second of it.  But no one could have told you that.  He then took on a job as a network administrator for the local bank because of his personal relationships.  Again putting in long and unappreciated hours.  He is my Dad and a "normal" guy to most.  

Being nice when facing adversity isn't a "bonus" it is an expectation for a person in civilized society.  It's the people that "give up" is who we tend to look down on, not as peers.

Your dad isn't normal then. Look we all know great people with great charcter in our lives but most people don't have great character. Great character is abnormal and somethinh that is difficult. Its not an easy lifestyle especially today. Yall can argue with me all you want but i stand firm. Great character is ABNORMAL.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Mike Riley is a nice guy along with most other people.  This isn't a knock on Riley.

"Settling" for opportunities that are best for your situation doesn't make you not a nice guy. Riley is more driven then most, but so is Nick Saban.  The "argument" of the article is that Riley is some kind of "nicer than nice" type individual.  He just wasn't a jackass like a lot of other coaches.

Edited by funhusker