LJS Letter 12/3: Riley made NU football fun again

zoogs

15 hours ago, tfree32 said:

Riley made Husker football decent and classy again. But there is nothing fun about blowout losses and losing seasons. Frost will bring the fun and the wins.

Riley made NU the most irrelevant it has been in 60 years.  He was a disgrace to the game, a tragedy that never needed to happen.  Decent? In the eyes of who, the over blown people who take everything a coach says like he is actually talking to you?  I'm so glad this coach is out of here, he didn't nothing for the program, just set it back 4 years. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, irafreak said:

Wow. What kind of people do you associate with?

I associate with alot of really good people, but again I really don't see how you can characterize great character as normal because its not. Being nice to a persons face isn't great character. There is alot more to it than that. I know plentybof seemingly nice people who are dang selfish and don't hace great self control. They don't practice love towards all people and they aren't very patient. Sure are nice but nice doesn't add up to great character. Great character is not the norm and it surprises me so many people think it is. 

Long point short, if you think the average person has great character, you may need to reassess your definition of great character. Sorry.

Edited by Nebfanatic

21 hours ago, teachercd said:

In all of my life there has never been a guy that has been more loved for being normal.  You are supposed to be decent, nice and respectful...you are supposed "show up to work on time".  That is what Riley did.  Great job.

I have worked with hundreds of people in my life...90% have been just like Riley...

Guess that shows that what was before MR wasn't normal

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

This is a really bad take.  No, Riley did not make football fun again at Nebraska.  There is no further need to debate this and this thread should be locked.  Riley is going to be paid 170K a month for 3 years do nothing, I think he will be fine.

And if reports are accurate, Scott Frost is now being paid $416,000 a month for the next 7 years.  And he will coach football as well.   I hope Scott Frost is every bit the gentlemen that Mike Riley is and he finds a way to win about 75 games over that time frame.  If he does, we can all say that he got paid $170K a month for being a nice guy and $246k a month for his team winning most of its games.   Money well spent but let's not all argue that Mike Riley didn't earn a good portion of his pay - assuming you feel college football coaches are worth that kind of money. Riley won half his games.  Frost better win about 100% as that is what it will take to 'justify' the extra money spent if you think Riley was overpaid.       

Edited by 84HuskerLaw

MR was simply not set up for success.  SF all but said as much in his press conference.  Lack of unity, was a reoccurring theme, and he also mentioned the pieces to succeed were not in place until now.  The 7 year contract was further acknowledgement of how long Moose thinks it will take for a new coach to build this program into a conference contender. 

MR's gone, I'm happy for SF and will support him.  That said, MR with the full support of Husker Nation and the pieces that are currently in place could have succeeded here in the near future as well.  He brought in some great young talent, played a lot of youngsters including a new QB and dealt with a lot of injuries this year.  Next year looked to be a big turnaround regardless, especially with Lee having a full season under his belt there's no doubt in my mind he would be a difference maker next season in the same system. 

Transitions are always messy.  Disrupts players plans and dreams.  But it's time to move forward and as SF stated UNITE behind the coaches we have now and support them fully.  The constant attempts by some to disparage MR in a no win situation only fractures and delays everyone from Uniting behind Husker football.

In what way, shape or form was the last three seasons fun? I already thanked Riley for being a good person. His football teams, however, stink to high heaven. It was not fun. I was embarrassed to wear husker gear for the first time in my life. I left games or stopped watching them on tv in the second/third quarters because we were getting blown out. On MULTIPLE occassions. But Im glad Sandy had fun as one of the few who stayed til the end of OSU and Iowa thinking how great it is to have a really nice coach who doesnt get unsportsmanlike penalties called on him...

Edited by Frott Scost
  • Plus1 2

You all are being jerky.  We all wanted Riley to win but he didn't and now he's gone.  He didn't act like a buffoon when the writing was on the wall.  He didn't attempt to sabotage the hiring of Scott Frost- and I bet he could have.  And  don't tell me it's all about winning, because it's clearly not.  Reference Bo Pelini.