LJS 12/3: Ruud to coach Husker linebackers; staff continues to come into focus

ASSISTANT COACHES

Ruud to coach Husker linebackers; staff continues to come into focus

A familiar face will be coaching Nebraska linebackers under new head coach Scott Frost. 

A source told the Journal Star on Sunday that former Husker linebacker and Lincoln native Barrett Ruud will coach the position he manned for four years here more than a decade ago.

Ruud served as a quality-control administrator on Frost's staff at Central Florida.

The Lincoln Southeast graduate finished his Husker career as the school's leading tackler, with 432 stops. He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the second round of the 2005 NFL Draft.  

The Journal Star has reported NU coaching positions for former Huskers Ryan Held (running backs) and Greg Austin (offensive line), as well as Mario Verduzco (quarterbacks) and Mike Dawson (defensive line).

UCF defensive coordinator Erik Chinander is also expected to make the move, and other Knights defensive assistants may as well. 

5a249e4fc6366.image.jpg

Barrett Ruud (38) is the leading tackler in Husker football history. The Lincoln Southeast graduate finished his career with 432 tackles

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I love the hire, but what does a quality control administrator actually do??

I think generally they focus on statistics and film analysis and things like that. So for example a defensive quality control coach would watch game film and sort of chart what formations a team uses in certain down and distances, sides of the field they may attack at different points, etc. 

• Plus1 2

So that leaves DBs, WRs, TEs, OC, and DC.

Its likely Chinander is DC.

If we end up with the Williams’, that leaves just one coaching spot left, for the OC. Could we have a similar situation to Tavita Thompson coaching TEs or do we have the OC or WR coach double up?

If Coach Frost is calling his own plays, I’d think it wouldn’t be out of the question to have the OC double up.

Of course this is all assuming we don’t hire Tom Osborne as ST coordinator; I’ll advocate for it until the staff is full!

EDIT: I’m assuming Troy Walters gets an HC gig.

Edited by Edison's Enemy
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Edison's Enemy said:

So that leaves DBs, WRs, TEs, OC, and DC.

Its likely Chinander is DC.

If we end up with the Williams’, that leaves just one coaching spot left, for the OC. Could we have a similar situation to Tavita Thompson coaching TEs or do we have the OC or WR coach double up?

If Coach Frost is calling his own plays, I’d think it wouldn’t be out of the question to have the OC double up.

Of course this is all assuming we don’t hire Tom Osborne as ST coordinator; I’ll advocate for it until the staff is full!

One of the recruits confirmed Chinander as DC and Fisher as DB

• Plus1 1