• Announcements

• Mavric

The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup   01/17/2018

The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup is now live! Click HERE to read the rules, and look in the Contest Crib for nomination and voting threads throughout the next several weeks.   This is a great opportunity to say "thanks!" to your fellow HuskerBoard members for keeping you informed or entertained throughout the past year. Nominate your favorite HuskerBoard member today!
HuskerNation1

Predict 2018 Recruiting Ranking

30 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Still #47 on Rivals. ESPN is really helping our composite, they have us all the way up to #32.

I think this class is somewhere in the middle of that, which is what the 247 composite accounts for. Some big time upside, a couple of under the radar players, and some immediate help through the JUCO ranks. I think there’s one guy who is probably a tad overrated in our class, but I think it’s balanced out by a couple guys who deserve even more of a ratings boost. Easy to see why there’s a lot of randomness in this area of the recruiting rankings year to year. Comes down to coaching and we have some of the best!

Who's the overrated one in your opinion?

33 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Still #47 on Rivals. ESPN is really helping our composite, they have us all the way up to #32.

I think this class is somewhere in the middle of that, which is what the 247 composite accounts for. Some big time upside, a couple of under the radar players, and some immediate help through the JUCO ranks. I think there’s one guy who is probably a tad overrated in our class, but I think it’s balanced out by a couple guys who deserve even more of a ratings boost. Easy to see why there’s a lot of randomness in this area of the recruiting rankings year to year. Comes down to coaching and we have some of the best!

Who do you think is overrated?

I’ve never been super high on Wildeman. Not to say that he won’t be good, or even great, for us. Just nothing about him screams 4-star to me. Very meh offer list where the best DLine offer on it came from Iowa way too late which was seen as an insult to a legacy. Played against weak competition. I also view him as a tweener in our system and think he’s better suited as a 4-3 DE.

I am wrong a lot, so I understand if anyone takes issue with my post. I’m certainly not trying to bash a kid, especially one who is all about Nebraska. I just view him more as a mid 3-star and I was surprised that he got such a ratings bump.

After Rogers

30 Minnesota / 206.02 / 26 commits / 2 4* / 24 3*

34 Nebraska / 198.76 / 16 commits / 4 4* / 12 3*

36 Iowa / 197.03 / 18 commits / 1 4* / 17 3*

39 Wisconsin / 191.71 / 19 commits / 1 4* / 18 3*

42 Purdue / 184.67 / 24 commits / 1 4* / 23 3*

47 Illinois / 179.36 / 19 commits / 2 4* / 17 3*

55 Northwestern / 175.20 / 16 commits / 1 4* / 15 3*

2 commits (or 1 high ranked commit) puts us past the Gophs.

Just realized this...

UGA and OSU each have 22 commits with an average 247C player ranking of a .94.  Our highest ranked player is a .94 (A-Magic).

k5tW7Yr.gif

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

After Rogers

30 Minnesota / 206.02 / 26 commits / 2 4* / 24 3*

34 Nebraska / 198.76 / 16 commits / 4 4* / 12 3*

36 Iowa / 197.03 / 18 commits / 1 4* / 17 3*

39 Wisconsin / 191.71 / 19 commits / 1 4* / 18 3*

42 Purdue / 184.67 / 24 commits / 1 4* / 23 3*

55 Northwestern / 175.20 / 16 commits / 1 4* / 15 3*

2 commits (or 1 high ranked commit) puts us past the Gophs.

Like i said awhile back. If Frost doesn't take us back to the top of the west in recruiting I'll be surprised. Lure the right guys we could still end up top 25

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Like i said awhile back. If Frost doesn't take us back to the top of the west in recruiting I'll be surprised. Lure the right guys we could still end up top 25

Nebraska has already been consistently the best recruiting team in the West since joining. The only year that a B1G West team finished higher in the 247 composite rankings was Wisconsin in 2014, and only by a few spots. 

Year      247C      Closet West Team

2017       23           Wisconsin  39

2016       26           Wisconsin  35

2015       30           Wisconsin  41

2014       35           Wisconsin  32

2013       22           Wisconsin  40

2012       32           Iowa            40

2011       16           Iowa            26

Edited by caveman99

We will end up with around 220pts we get to 217 by adding 

M Jones ATH

Bell OL

Henry RB

C Jones S 

Torain WR

I am damn near 100% confident those guys are all N. You then add 1 or 2 more based on numbers and we easily surpass 220pts. 

Edited by Hedley Lamarr

56 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Nebraska has already been consistently the best recruiting team in the West since joining. The only year that a B1G West team finished higher in the 247 composite rankings was Wisconsin in 2014, and only by a few spots. 

Year      247C      Closet West Team

2017       23           Wisconsin  39

2016       26           Wisconsin  35

2015       30           Wisconsin  41

2014       35           Wisconsin  32

2013       22           Wisconsin  40

2012       32           Iowa            40

2011       16           Iowa            26

I know this but some were saying getting there this year was an unrealistic expectation from where Frost started.

Wonder what those rankings would be when accounting for attrition or guys who never even made it.  (I thought someone once posted a link to a site that kept track of those types of things).  Anyway, looking forward to continued improvement and player development no matter the rankings.

16 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Wonder what those rankings would be when accounting for attrition or guys who never even made it.  (I thought someone once posted a link to a site that kept track of those types of things).  Anyway, looking forward to continued improvement and player development no matter the rankings.

247 has done that the last three years 

7 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

#27 for 247

And a higher star average than Maryland who is currently #20 and very catch-able.

And the rest of the B1G West is in our rear view mirror

27 Nebraska / 208.31 / 18 commits / 4 4* / 14 3*

31 Minnesota / 205.75 / 26 commits / 2 4* / 24 3*

36 Iowa / 197.29 / 18 commits / 1 4* / 17 3*

39 Wisconsin / 191.65 / 19 commits / 1 4* / 18 3*

42 Purdue / 184.36 / 24 commits / 1 4* / 23 3*

56 Northwestern / 174.69 / 16 commits / 1 4* / 15 3*

B1G East teams w/in shouting distance

14 Michigan / 234.39 / 19 commits / 8 4* / 11 3*

20 Maryland / 216.17 / 20 commits / 3 4* / 17 3*

26 Michigan St / 208.97 / 23 commits / 3 4* / 20 3*

I know recruiting is VERY important, but I think some fans get more interested in NU's recruiting rankings than NU's the rankings during the regular season.  Hopefully, Frost will be able to turn things around where we can focus on the season rankings more than the recruiting rankings.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know recruiting is VERY important, but I think some fans get more interested in NU's recruiting rankings than NU's the rankings during the regular season.  Hopefully, Frost will be able to turn things around where we can focus on the season rankings more than the recruiting rankings.

To be fair, the last three years we've been rated higher in the recruiting ranking than the regular season rankings so that makes it a little more fun.  :o

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

To be fair, the last three years we've been rated higher in the recruiting ranking than the regular season rankings so that makes it a little more fun.  :o

I agree, and thus the reason for my comment at the end.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know recruiting is VERY important, but I think some fans get more interested in NU's recruiting rankings than NU's the rankings during the regular season. 

No.

Just because people pay attention to recruiting and how we match up with other classes, has nothing to do with paying attention to regular season rankings.  In fact, it's kind of a strange complaint.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree, and thus the reason for my comment at the end.

Again...your comment really doesn't make sense.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No.

Just because people pay attention to recruiting and how we match up with other classes, has nothing to do with paying attention to regular season rankings.  In fact, it's kind of a strange complaint.

Again...your comment really doesn't make sense.

Ok, pal.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:42 AM, ScottyIce said:

It'll be Top 25, if we hang onto Brown and Moore.

Might still be without either of em.

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I added Camron, Tannor, Clark, Henry and Bell putting us at 23 commits for a score of 222.77 on 247. That puts us at 17th

You may want to compare any projections to the 2017 team rankings instead of the current ones.  Other teams are constantly improving their classes, too.  It's like chasing a moving target.

There are at least 2 teams behind us that will probably pass us once they fill up:

30 Texas A&M (14 commits)

38 UCLA (12 commits)

Edited by Red Five

52 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

You may want to compare any projections to the 2017 team rankings instead of the current ones.  Other teams are constantly improving their classes, too.  It's like chasing a moving target.

Yes I know...its just a point in time snapshot

2 hours ago, spurs1990 said:

No, still #27 as discussed

#27 composite. Maybe we are #24 in the 247 only rankings?

Jesus... these number change every hour with commits/decommits. Arguing that you are right compared to what someone posted 14 hours ago is a waste of everyone's time

32 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Jesus... these number change every hour with commits/decommits. Arguing that you are right compared to what someone posted 14 hours ago is a waste of everyone's time

TL6poLzwbHuF2.gif

With our current rating at about 208 points per 247 and adding maybe 5 more guys tops I see us potentially being a top 22-26th ranked class. I plugged In  Bell, McDonald, Jones, Tago and Washington which would put us at 222.11. This is a guess and maybe a bit optimistic...... I also heard that there will be another recruiting evaluation here shortly which could upgrade our current commits and increase our point value per 247. 

Regardless, it looks like a great first class put together by Frost. As most of us feel, the coaching upgrade will be the biggest factor moving forward in terms of developing our players and getting more wins and fewer embarrassments. My hope is we become Wisconsin 2.0 within the nest 3 years and start dominating the west. 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, spurs1990 said:

No, still #27 as discussed

Thanks,  but #24 is still my prediction on the prediction thread.

23 minutes ago, B1GRED said:

Thanks,  but #24 is still my prediction on the prediction thread.

My bad, this whole thread has pretty much been updates on ranking movements. It's been awhile since someone has put down a prediction. 

20 hours ago, Norhusker said:

With our current rating at about 208 points per 247 and adding maybe 5 more guys tops I see us potentially being a top 22-26th ranked class. I plugged In  Bell, McDonald, Jones, Tago and Washington which would put us at 222.11. This is a guess and maybe a bit optimistic...... I also heard that there will be another recruiting evaluation here shortly which could upgrade our current commits and increase our point value per 247. 

Regardless, it looks like a great first class put together by Frost. As most of us feel, the coaching upgrade will be the biggest factor moving forward in terms of developing our players and getting more wins and fewer embarrassments. My hope is we become Wisconsin 2.0 within the nest 3 years and start dominating the west. 

I'm going to be a little nit picky here and say that Wisconsin became Nebraska 2.0, and I want to be NEBRASKA 3.0.

Looks like we will end up as 4th best in the B1G which is damn good for bring near the bottom of the conference in December 

I looked back and on 247 we've been best in the West for the past 4 years. We should be able to win the West soon if Frost is as good as we think. Next year's schedule is stacked against us with the crossovers but we get Indiana and Maryland in 2019.

32 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I looked back and on 247 we've been best in the West for the past 4 years. We should be able to win the West soon if Frost is as good as we think. Next year's schedule is stacked against us with the crossovers but we get Indiana and Maryland in 2019.

Amen to that!

19 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I'm going to be a little nit picky here and say that Wisconsin became Nebraska 2.0, and I want to be NEBRASKA 3.0.

I'd say Scott Frost is making us Nebraska 2.0, version 1.0 being Tom Osborne's Husker teams.  Wisconsin is Wisconsin and they have basically been that same way for decades.

So we have 210 pts

If we add the following which is very possible and more likely than not in my opinion 

Cam'ron Jones **** S

Maurice Washington **** RB

Jarrett Bell **** OL

Matthew Tago *** ATH/QB (or another 3 star prospect if we end up with someone else.)

The calculator says 221 but I don't understand how that is possible given that Jones is worth well over 11pts by himself. Is it just my computer not liking the 247 site or what am I missing? 

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So we have 210 pts

If we add the following which is very possible and more likely than not in my opinion 

Cam'ron Jones **** S

Maurice Washington **** RB

Jarrett Bell **** OL

Matthew Tago *** ATH/QB (or another 3 star prospect if we end up with someone else.)

The calculator says 221 but I don't understand how that is possible given that Jones is worth well over 11pts by himself. Is it just my computer not liking the 247 site or what am I missing? 

I'm not sure exactly how the formula works but I think when you add him in it changes the value of other players. Looks like they are weighted on varying factors and adding in new players decreases how much the guys below them are worth.

Edited by spurs1990

1 minute ago, spurs1990 said:

I'm not sure exactly how the formula works but I think when you add him in it changes the value of other players. Looks like they are weighted on varying factors and adding in new players decreases how much the guys below them are worth.

I noticed that after looking more closely. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me....looking at teams behind us and ahead of us I think we finish between 20-25. 

29 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I noticed that after looking more closely. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me....looking at teams behind us and ahead of us I think we finish between 20-25. 

They give the most weight to each team's highest-rated recruit and it drops off from there.

• The Formula
  • Team Ranking Explanation
  • where c is a specific team's total number of commits and Rn is the 247Sports Composite Rating of the nth-best commit times 100.
  • Explanation
  • In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.
  • Each recruit is weighted in the rankings according to a GAUSSIAN DISTRIBUTION FORMULA (a bell curve), where a team's best recruit is worth the most points. You can think of a team's point score as being the sum of ratings of all the team's commits where the best recruit is worth 100% of his rating value, the second best recruit is worth nearly 100% of his rating value, down to the last recruit who is worth a small fraction of his rating value. This formula ensures that all commits contribute at least some value to the team's score without heavily rewarding teams that have several more commitments than others.
  • Readers familiar with the Gaussian distribution formula will note that we use a varying value for σ based on the standard deviation for the total number of commits between schools for the given sport. This STANDARD DEVIATION creates a bell curve with an inflection point near the average number of players recruited per team.
  • Below is a graphical representation of how our formula works. You can see that the area under the curve gets smaller both as the rating for a commit decreases and as the number of total commits for a school increases. The y-axis in this graph represents the percentage weight of the score that gets applied to an overall team ranking.
  • team_rankings.gif

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nice info,  it seems like it is kinda of saying that the more kids you already have in the class the harder it is to more the needle on the ranking.  Not sure why they also add weight based on the ranking in the schools class, it would seem to inflate the value of the #1 kid in the class but at least it also limits the impact of a low rated kid.  I wonder then what the value difference is between Alabama's 22nd 4-star and the final 2 star they get down in Kansas based on this formula.  I guess the method can smooth out the numbers and also reduce the impact of rater bias based on the stars bump kids may get if they sign with an Alabama.