Frost Asks For Family Privacy

BIG ERN

Sorry if this was noted already, but thought I would post in all of the excitement from yesterday. We all know how much Frost loves to be back, but he doesn't want his family bothered going forward. I don't see this as much of a problem now that he was officially hired. Just a good reminder 

In post presser questions with the media Frost said “I’m going to lose it on you guys if you approach my family. It’s already happened.” Then is subsequently asked about what his parents told him after the UCF game. Frost says “Listen I told you guys, my family is off limits. I’m telling you that right now, I don’t want phone calls to my mother. I don’t want pictures of my son. This is about me and this is about these kids and this program, its not about them.”

Edited by BIG ERN
  • Plus1 6

Has this ever been an issue before?  I don't remember ever really hearing about Osborne's kids or the families of other coaches.  Even Pelini's kids stayed out of the news.  There will always be rumors of what family members may or may not have done, but I don't recall the media tracking down family members once a coach is in place.

And as I just posted in another thread, the fan base should be supportive of any attempts that he makes to keep things out that distract him and his team from turning this thing around.

How could anyone not be on board with that? Was it blunt and direct? Yes! It got the point across, it saved time. 

I want the guy as focused as possible on his job. If the media honors his request, he'll be able to do that more effectively. It's a no-brainer.

Edited by Undone
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Has this ever been an issue before?  I don't remember ever really hearing about Osborne's kids or the families of other coaches.  Even Pelini's kids stayed out of the news.  There will always be rumors of what family members may or may not have done, but I don't recall the media tracking down family members once a coach is in place.

TO was a coach long before internet and social media made it easier to get crazy fans access where they shouldn't be.

Bo's, Callahan's, Riley's extended family didn't live here.  So, it wouldn't have been an issue with them.  

I do remember hearing horror stories about kids or assistant's kids being harassed at school...etc.

I could see idiot fans doing stupid stuff.

• Plus1 1

I've got no problem with him laying down some ground rules. He has firsthand experience from when he was player. That Stanford stint didn't sit well with some folks and it caused added scrutiny of his parents. Plus there have been little personal things with our last 3 coaches and our recent AD. Think he's just being proactive. Our media is going to have to adjust to actually having a decent coach. Their MO was somewhat understandable considering that last 3 dogs we've had but they may have to relearn how things are supposed to work when you're not in constant next coach mode.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

TO was a coach long before internet and social media made it easier to get crazy fans access where they shouldn't be.

Bo's, Callahan's, Riley's extended family didn't live here.  So, it wouldn't have been an issue with them.  

I do remember hearing horror stories about kids or assistant's kids being harassed at school...etc.

I could see idiot fans doing stupid stuff.

Fans will be fans unfortunately.  Frost's words were directed at media.  Has the media ever tried to get stories from family members that weren't "newsworthy" on their own merit?

I can understand why media asked family leading up the hire.  They were asked for the same reason assistant coaches, players, support staff, and salt-water aquarium guys were asked.  The reporters were looking for a source to tell them where Frost was going.  Now that he's here, why in the world would anyone ask Scott's wife what his plans are when they can just ask the coach himself?

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Fans will be fans unfortunately.  Frost's words were directed at media.  Has the media ever tried to get stories from family members that weren't "newsworthy" on their own merit?

I can understand why media asked family leading up the hire.  They were asked for the same reason assistant coaches, players, support staff, and salt-water aquarium guys were asked.  The reporters were looking for a source to tell them where Frost was going.  Now that he's here, why in the world would anyone ask Scott's wife what his plans are when they can just ask the coach himself?

Frost's family (parents) have always been a topic of discussion in Nebraska's media along with him.

50 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Sorry if this was noted already, but thought I would post in all of the excitement from yesterday. We all know how much Frost loves to be back, but he doesn't want his family bothered going forward. I don't see this as much of a problem now that he was officially hired. Just a good reminder 

In post presser questions with the media Frost said “I’m going to lose it on you guys if you approach my family. It’s already happened.” Then is subsequently asked about what his parents told him after the UCF game. Frost says “Listen I told you guys, my family is off limits. I’m telling you that right now, I don’t want phone calls to my mother. I don’t want pictures of my son. This is about me and this is about these kids and this program, its not about them.”

Concur.  He is a head coach duties only.

Edited by Hooked on Huskers
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

IIRC Cosgrove and/or his family got death threats when things went south. But that was from crazy "fans" not from the media. 

• Plus1 1

Unfortunately, this is mainly an issue because of (primarily) one media outlet's (WOWT) decision to be vultures and try to profiteer of the fact they contacted Frost's mother for an interview. It made them look stupid.

The vast majority of the media/press have been respectful of the Frost family. I also haven't seen any evidence so far that anyone was "camped" outside of Frost's parents home. It was a rumor perpetuated by media members in Florida.

That said, I understand Frost's reasons for doing this. He's basically saying don't get similar ideas. He was the one put in a tough spot thanks to some assignment editor/news director's stupid choice.

• Plus1 2