Offensive Line

There is no question that technique is an issue up front.  However, I believe Coach Frost (that sounds nice doesn't it?) has already made comments the about the weight room culture.  I am confident that he meant that across the board, but definitely for the o-line.  When you look at our linemen, sure they are out of position.  They also fail to "sit down" properly and often do not quickly anchor their outside foot for pass protection.  But the way they lean forward at the waist and get bull rushed backwards also tells me they are not as strong in the legs, hips and butt as they should be for the position.  They just might be kids who are genetically slow twitch, higher body fat types who were able to maul smaller kids in high school and get a scholarship. It happens a lot for high school linemen as it is difficult to predict due to the tremendous metamorphosis a linemen typically goes through from high school to top collegiate level.  There is a good chance they will be just fine with the proper coaching on technique AND strength development.   Both are needed and neither is accomplished over night.  We will see what can be done with those who are here and I like our chances on recruiting moving forward with the new regime.  

As to the weight room, I think we might see a more balanced strength and conditioning program if Duval gets it.  As my old coach told me, " Son, forget all that bench pressing...you do that lying down...on my field, it you are on your back, you already lost."  Of course you need chest and shoulder power, but the point is that there is a difference between generating force and power. They truly are two different things.  

I think we will enjoy seeing our linemen with over the next few years as we move the ball down the field.   I do think we are two years away from it.  

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, marko polo said:

the line was weak slow and unathletic

Well said, bottom line is that attitude and desire were not in place.  I wish this was all about technique but I think it was a lack of want to and the lack of a coaching staff with the ability to inspire and motivate kids. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's funny because Boe Wilson who looked to most athletic and powerful lineman in the group, couldn't find the field, except as a full back.

His aggressive nature was a bad fit. The way he can fire off the line wasn't too useful for backpedaling into pass protection.

• Plus1 1

The O and D line weak link has been the main problem in my opinion with Husker Football for several years.

Until that is fixed I don't see us playing championship football.  The Oregon South offense is exciting, but games are won in the trenches.

You must be able to run the ball and stop the run to win titles.

• Plus1 6
19 hours ago, marko polo said:

sorry yes it does

No it doesn't.

They grab big, strong, fast guys all the time to be offensive linemen. But if they can't develop the necessary footwork and technique, a smaller DL can bullrush the hell out of them.

Every coach in football would disagree with you.

Nice to see you again, Marko. 

• Plus1 6
37 minutes ago, NWHuskerfan said:

The O and D line weak link has been the main problem in my opinion with Husker Football for several years.

Until that is fixed I don't see us playing championship football.  The Oregon South offense is exciting, but games are won in the trenches.

You must be able to run the ball and stop the run to win titles.

I thought it would get better after cotton was gone..... then cavanaugh made it worse..

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No it doesn't.

They grab big, strong, fast guys all the time to be offensive linemen. But if they can't develop the necessary footwork and technique, a smaller DL can bullrush the hell out of them.

This is correct. small o and d line men succeed at this level, whipping bigger linemen with superior technique and work ethic. 

You still see some lineman on the defensive side that are in the 5ft 11 area who are successful.

It has less to do with size, more to do with technique.

But if the technique is is evenly matched then size will win out usually, unless the smaller guy gets creative to offset this size disadvantage.

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No it doesn't.

I have missed the hell out of you guy

oh and by the way "yes it does"

No group in football is effected (positively or negatively) by coaching/philosophy, more than the offensive line. 

I’m excited for this change, and I really do not think this staff will get much pushback from the team on changes. Having the whole state, ex players, coaches, and national media behind this hire will naturally kick them in the behind. Instant credibility, and it’s my hope they are going to finally understand how to represent that N.

GBR 

• Plus1 1

Fear not Husker fans, when your coach does stuff like this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/138889/ucf-coach-scott-frosts-new-role-scout-team-quarterback

all will be well.  All players are going to buy in, and follow this guy to the gates of hell and back if need be.  That includes the offensive line...which may not be so offensive next year.  Relax, our return to prominence is in the mail.  From the AD on down the program is coming back around to where it should be.  We good..