Offensive Line

Key factors to O-line success not mentioned already are cohesiveness, continuity, and confidence. Unlike this season the line will need to avoid injuries to sustain continuity. If that happens then the unit can start to build cohesion. When those two boxes are checked, success and confidence start to grow and becomes noticeable to the casual observer. The final stage is when a unit develops a pride in pushing the opponent around and doing it on every play up to, and just after the whistle because it's fun and they can.

Toughness, attitude, high effort, and killer instinct are not given. Some players have those traits wired into their DNA some don't. Just like some athletes have elite speed and some don't, and no amount of coaching will change that fact.

Edited by LaunchCode

This OL is a mess and likely have been doing S&C that will be different than what this staff wants (don’t know that for sure just remember the Kelly Oregon teams wanting smaller faster Tackles).  If we can say that our OL was average at the end of next season Austin should receive coaching accolades.  More likely another season of s#!tty OL Play.  The good thing is I thinks we have some decent young players it’s just going to take time to develop them

If you guys want a little insight into what we can expect philosophically, check out Matt Hoskinson's interview on USC from Monday.

He claims Scott's teams practice more of what he called a 'drive block' in the run game which is what Tenopir used to teach. Before we get all juiced up on koolaid, though, he did bring a lot of other things up like 'fit' and whether or not guys were playing at the right positions. A lot of elements determine the success of the o-line and I think that's going to be Frost's biggest focal point outside of QB play in 2018.

9 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I'm interested to see if they can do with a player like Jalin Barnett. A four star,highly touted, O linemen out of high school currently buried on the depth chart because of weight and fitness problems? 

Barnett is going to have to reshape his body.  He hasn't done it yet, so hopefully the new staff can get through to him.  If not, he could be someone that could easily be gone before next fall.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, shyndy said:

This OL is a mess and likely have been doing S&C that will be different than what this staff wants (don’t know that for sure just remember the Kelly Oregon teams wanting smaller faster Tackles).  If we can say that our OL was average at the end of next season Austin should receive coaching accolades.  More likely another season of s#!tty OL Play.  The good thing is I thinks we have some decent young players it’s just going to take time to develop them

I do remember Oregon having smaller faster tackles, but I think this staff offered a JUCO OT that is like 6-7, 300+ on their first night. That's a huge dude, so HCSF may have evolved the OL a bit since his Oregon days.

I am convinced that we haven't scratched the surface on the kind of talent we have not only on the Oline but the entire team. This was a colossal fail on the previous regime. You couldn't convince me that Gates, Farmer, Foster, Jalin, Rairdon, Wilson. etc are busts. Cav and crew just sucked. 

• Plus1 6

44 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I am convinced that we haven't scratched the surface on the kind of talent we have not only on the Oline but the entire team. This was a colossal fail on the previous regime. You couldn't convince me that Gates, Farmer, Foster, Jalin, Rairdon, Wilson. etc are busts. Cav and crew just sucked. 

I second that. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Husker56 said:

I do remember Oregon having smaller faster tackles, but I think this staff offered a JUCO OT that is like 6-7, 300+ on their first night. That's a huge dude, so HCSF may have evolved the OL a bit since his Oregon days.

I think he had a 350 pounder at UCF also.  So who knows maybe the turn around will be faster but I don’t expect anything

• Plus1 1