Poll: Who Starts at QB in 2018?

Poll: 2018 Starting QB  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Gebbia's extra height means that he is way skinnier than Milton.  At 6'3", I think Gebbia would need to be in the 195-205 range to handle hits in the QB run game.

UCF didn’t exclusively run Milton a ton.  He had about 400 yards rushing.  If Milton could handle the hits then I’m sure Gebbia could as well.

2 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

UCF didn’t exclusively run Milton a ton.  He had about 400 yards rushing.  If Milton could handle the hits then I’m sure Gebbia could as well.

Didn't have a lot of yards, but comparatively had a lot of carries; 2nd most on the team with 93 on the season. The nice thing is that they spread the ball around quite a bit; 6 players with over 20 carries and 6 players with over 20 receptions. 

Edited by Cdog923
2 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

I understand that Milton doesn't run a ton, and I think Gebbia could handle it, as well.  It's just something to keep in mind.  Gebbia is pretty slight.

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Didn't have a lot of yards, but comparatively had a lot of carries; 2nd most on the team with 93 on the season. 

That’s more carries than I expected to be competely honest.  One would think that a majority of those are him scrambling on a broken play/collapsing pocket for a few yards.  Otherwise I would think if they were designed runs he’d have more than 7 touchdowns and more yards.

I could also be way off and have no idea what I’m talking about :dunno

Just now, Football Guy Bob said:

That’s more carries than I expected to be competely honest.  One would think that a majority of those are him scrambling on a broken play/collapsing pocket for a few yards.  Otherwise I would think if they were designed runs he’d have more than 7 touchdowns and more yards.

I could also be way off and have no idea what I’m talking about :dunno

I just pulled the stats from Sports Reference; it doesn't things like scrambles vs. called runs. He was sacked 10 times this year, and that is usually accounted for in rushing stats, so you could go with 83 to be more accurate. 

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Gebbia's extra height means that he is way skinnier than Milton.  At 6'3", I think Gebbia would need to be in the 195-205 range to handle hits in the QB run game.

I don't think it's crazy to expect a college football player to put on 10-15 pounds in the course of a year. Gebbia was 185 in August and when the spring game rolls around I won't be surprised if he is closer to 195-200 range

Just now, Cdog923 said:

I just pulled the stats from Sports Reference; it doesn't things like scrambles vs. called runs. He was sacked 10 times this year, and that is usually accounted for in rushing stats, so you could go with 83 to be more accurate. 

It's about 7 carries per game, which isn't a lot, but it's enough to keep defenses honest.

The thing about Frost's offense, is that you need the QB to WANT to run the ball at the appropriate time.  With an RPO, it's great to have the threat of the pass and the RB run game, the 3rd aspect of that play is the QB run play.  If you have a QB who doesn't WANT to run the ball, then it's going to hinder the offense.  I am not saying POB or Gebbia doesn't have the ability to run the ball, but will they "want to run the ball".  They were recruited to a system that would have them stand 7 yards behind the LOS and sling the ball around.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's about 7 carries per game, which isn't a lot, but it's enough to keep defenses honest.

The thing about Frost's offense, is that you need the QB to WANT to run the ball at the appropriate time.  With an RPO, it's great to have the threat of the pass and the RB run game, the 3rd aspect of that play is the QB run play.  If you have a QB who doesn't WANT to run the ball, then it's going to hinder the offense.  I am not saying POB or Gebbia doesn't have the ability to run the ball, but will they "want to run the ball".  They were recruited to a system that would have them stand 7 yards behind the LOS and sling the ball around.

I would say Frost will make it pretty apparent that it you don't WANT to run the ball then you won't see the field

Just now, Husker from Kansas said:

I would say Frost will make it pretty apparent that it you don't WANT to run the ball then you won't see the field

I agree with you 100%, and guys like Gebbia and POB may act like they are willing to run the ball, but they may end up playing differently on the field.

I think guys like Gebbia and POB can be very effective in Frost's offense, but they aren't slam dunks at the same time.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree with you 100%, and guys like Gebbia and POB may act like they are willing to run the ball, but they may end up playing differently on the field.

I think guys like Gebbia and POB can be very effective in Frost's offense, but they aren't slam dunks at the same time.

I've come to realize even the slam dunk out of HS kids often end up being duds. Honestly I'd rather have a kid with a chip on his shoulder who understands the value of hard work and leadership than a 5* kid who is " a sure thing". 

• Plus1 3
Just now, Husker from Kansas said:

I've come to realize even the slam dunk out of HS kids often end up being duds. Honestly I'd rather have a kid with a chip on his shoulder who understands the value of hard work and leadership than a 5* kid who is " a sure thing". 

That got a plus 1 from me there.

I think the good thing about Frost's offense is that it doesn't require super-stud QB's to make it great.  Mariotta and MIlton weren't highly recruited coming out of high school.  The system requires the coaches to make the best decisions very quickly.  McKenzie Milton has a 69% completion percentage this year because he's the most accurate passer in the country, it's because the system utilizes quick passes and receivers running wide open downfield.