Poll: Who Starts at QB in 2018?

Poll: 2018 Starting QB  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Gebbia is potentially the best "mold" for the job in terms of his skill set. His biggest challenge will be developing consistency. Lee is still the best pure passer of the bunch IMO but his ability to make the zone read and option game function well is unknown to me. I didn't see the Minnesota game and don't know much about POB to really offer anything of substance. I heard one local media member say a couple weeks ago they felt he might be the best mold for Frost's offense but they didn't provide much to back that up.

Experience and consistency will play a big role in this QB race, but, almost everything will be on a level playing field for two big reasons: a new offense and a new coach. This extends across the entire offense, though. They're almost all starting at ground zero.

I don't have a prediction for who might start at quarterback next season, but I do have a lot of confidence in what we'll see.

We'll see a quarterback that makes good decisions, yet fits with Frost's desire to play fast.

We'll see less drops by receivers.

We'll see different plays run out of formations that look the same.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I don't have a prediction for who might start at quarterback next season, but I do have a lot of confidence in what we'll see.

We'll see a quarterback that makes good decisions, yet fits with Frost's desire to play fast.

We'll see less drops by receivers.

We'll see different plays run out of formations that look the same.

I like your confidence, but i dont think we're going to see that right away.  In time, yes, but maybe not until later in the year as a start, as they start to get comfortable in the system.

I might be wrong in the end,  but we just didn't hire a new coach to run a half attempt at his offense.  In other words, Gebbia or POB wouldn't scare me as a D-CO in the B1G.  If your paying attention, they are out recruiting dual threat Qb's right now.  In other words, whats on the roster now, isn't good enough to run the system.  This doesn't mean that its possible to have POB or Gebbia start the season, but I would almost guarantee they won't finish the season as starter.

Gebbia and POB are good Qb's.  They are not dual threat.  I wouldn't be scared of them if I were a D coord.  They are not a threat to beat you on the ground.  Sure, they can get some scramble yards, but they won't make Defenses game plan around there running ability.  

Honestly, we have some talent on the roster, but I truly feel that QB is the one position that we are lacking talent for what we need.  When your building an offense, you need a QB.  When your recruiting speed, you need a QB who can get them the ball as well a guy who can score on a 30 yard scamper when receivers are covered.  I was looking at who we have recently made offers to, and QB and RB is seemingly a big hot item.  SPEED.  Fellas, SPEED!

• Plus1 1

I am not taking anything away from a 12-0 season, however, we will see how well Milton plays in the bowl game against Auburn.  AAC is nothing like the B1G or SEC, this will be a huge test for Scott and his offensive scheme.  I can’t wait to see his offense in Lincoln, but I think we will learn a lot about the offense and the type of QB he will need here at the Peach Bowl.  With all that said, I voted for a transfer as the starter.  Hopefully, Scott won’t make the same mistake as Riley by trying to adjust his offense around a QB that can’t run it.  Go get what you need now, because all the honeymoon stuff will disappear quickly if they aren’t winning.

22 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the good thing about Frost's offense is that it doesn't require super-stud QB's to make it great.  Mariotta and MIlton weren't highly recruited coming out of high school.  The system requires the coaches to make the best decisions very quickly.  McKenzie Milton has a 69% completion percentage this year because he's the most accurate passer in the country, it's because the system utilizes quick passes and receivers running wide open downfield.

Wait a second.  Let's not go back to the old narrative about getting QBs that nobody is recruiting as a QB.  Frost's system may very well artificially elevate a QB's accuracy (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, don't know enough about it), 

BUT, it shure as hell will run better with a more accurate QB.  Frost isn't going to go for RBs that want to be QBs.  He is going to try and get the best dual threat guys in the country, going H2H with other top programs.

Mariota wasn't lightly recruited because he had a bad completion percentage.  He was just unknown because he was a backup.  Helfrich "found" him, saw his potential, and the rest is history.  I don't know about Milton, but I doubt he had a low completion percentage in HS.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker