Assistants Announced

@ATS Knight Regarding 1) Could you clarify what you mean by end of season? If you mean after CCG or bowl game you should think about how the timing would effect UCF also. I think you would conclude that if Frost was leaving, UCF is better off to know ASAP so they can get a new staff in place and start up recruiting. Leaving before the bowl game sucks because nobody is there to coach but Frost is willing to.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

One other thing is Frost said over and over is that he wished he would have been given time to wait and deal with all of this after the season was over, but its likely NU and anyone pursuing Frost told him if that was the case they would be moving on.

If a move was going to happen, it's better for both Nebraska and UCF that it happens as soon as possible. I think Frost was only thinking about what would have been better for UCF and the current season. He didn't take into account how critical a quick transition would benefit UCF's future.

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Promotions are a part of life and this job specifically.

Do you think Mizzou fans are steaming at UCF for stealing their OC? I doubt it. It's called a promotion.

The Mizzou fans I know are pissed at Nebraska for creating the opening at UCF.  This is the best 4-8 offseason ever!

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Until/unless some new details emerge, it might be time for me to leave HuskerBoard. 

Here's what I know: people don't root for the coaches that leave them. It's a business decision, nothing personal on both sides (though people make it personal). With Frost, UCF fans could root for him because he's SUCH a nice guy and he loves UCF SO MUCH. But here's what else I know:

1. Frost didn't have to talk to other schools during the year. It would be better for him to do so and position himself well for any opportunities, but better for UCF if he told schools, I'll talk to you after the season is over. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

2. Frost didn't have to accept an offer from another school during the season. He could have said, "I'm interested, I'll only sign after the season". Better for Frost that he does what the new school wants, better for UCF if he waits. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

3. Frost didn't have to take the whole staff, there are numerous ways that he could make sure the players had some continuity (find a different TE coach). Maybe even someone that knows how to recruit Nebraska/the midwest. Better for Frost that he keeps every staff member he feels like (including admin asst's), better for UCF if Frost leaves somebody somewhere still in place. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

4. Frost doesn't have to take recruits. He went to Nebraska early so that he could get a jump on recruiting, even if it puts UCF behind the 8-ball. UCF is putting a staff together from scratch, but at least Frost's staff got a good start on recruiting, right? Better for Frost if he sets himself up as well as possible and tries to flip all the recruits that were committed to UCF, better for UCF if Frost doesn't take the whole staff AND try to take all the recruits right before signing period. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

5. Frost doesn't have to take transfers from UCF. But it's in his best interest to take everyone and everything he wants. Decision: we don't know yet

Then there's stuff that isn't as definitive, but doesn't look good in context:

1.  The leak during the championship game. Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

2. The coaching staff clearly started checking out once the decisions started to be made and the team started looking worse and worse. The lower margin of victory was one of the reasons the CFP listed for ranking UCF so low.  Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

I'm willing to wait and see if some new information emerges, but it seems like Frost is not the loyal guy I thought he was, or perhaps, loyal to one school instead of two. We'll see. I think the preparation put in the bowl game (if he coaches), the recruits flipped, and the transfers will paint a picture of a loyal Knight and kindly Huskers AD who handled the transition as ham-handedly as possible, or two guys who aren't incompetent and just like playing nice guys on TV. 

If it's the latter, there's no reason for me to be here if I'm actively rooting for bad things to happen to Frost and Moos. 

I could be everyone's favorite UCF troll?

I regards to the second part, definitive answer 1, I believe it is rumored that a current player let that slip, not the AD or Scott.  I thought that was tacky of ESPN to announce it before the game even ended, but yes if it's the AD that did it, not very classy.  Other than that, I kinda agree with you that this all benefited Scott and though the UCF transfers/recruits are being contacted, that happens, if it wasn't Scott it's other schools thanks to the coaching change.  I haven't commented to you previously but i've read a lot of your posts and think you're a good guy and i'd even buy you a beer and shoot the crap with you.  It's hard to accept and though I can't say we've been in the situation, I would understand where you're coming from myself.  It's part of the game and I feel sorry for UCF but then again if it wasn't us, eventually it would be someone else going after Scott and it was not going to stop even if he stayed for another season, next year it happens again etc etc. 

I thin you'd have a good time over here even if a little jaded by the overall outcome of the coaching change.  You seem like a good dude and are welcome here just like everyone else. 

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

No one is asking for pity. Most coaches are d-bags. The ones that aren't usually get results like Riley. The question is: is Frost the kind of guy that UCF fans can root for or is he just as selfish as the majority of coaches?

I think this was really tough for him.  I think he wanted to stay.  If he could of he would rather Riley would have got it done for a few years.  I was told through the grapevine from someone on his staff (could be wrong, it was a rumor) that he really wanted to be at UCF for at least 2 more years before moving to Nebraska.  Nebraska I feel was the only gig that would move him out, maybe Oregon.  I am sure he would rather had left after the bowl game.  With the early signing date that was impossible.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Most coaches are d-bags? Idk, we just fired a whole staff and I wouldn't call any of them d-bags. I also don't consider any of the coaches we just hired d-bags.

Fair enough. That was a mistake on my part to generalize a whole profession. 

I also realize that it was a mistake of me to open up a can of worms when I don't have an hour to reply to replies. I should have anticipated that.

We don't have enough information on a lot of stuff. And we still don't know where the recruits and transfers will go. But this is me giving y'all notice that my opinion of Frost has been changing as more of this stuff comes out and the benefit of the doubt disappears. 

I'll be on later to debate. I imagine this will be a topic of conversation. 

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Until/unless some new details emerge, it might be time for me to leave HuskerBoard. 

Here's what I know: people don't root for the coaches that leave them. It's a business decision, nothing personal on both sides (though people make it personal). With Frost, UCF fans could root for him because he's SUCH a nice guy and he loves UCF SO MUCH. But here's what else I know:

1. Frost didn't have to talk to other schools during the year. It would be better for him to do so and position himself well for any opportunities, but better for UCF if he told schools, I'll talk to you after the season is over. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

2. Frost didn't have to accept an offer from another school during the season. He could have said, "I'm interested, I'll only sign after the season". Better for Frost that he does what the new school wants, better for UCF if he waits. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

3. Frost didn't have to take the whole staff, there are numerous ways that he could make sure the players had some continuity (find a different TE coach). Maybe even someone that knows how to recruit Nebraska/the midwest. Better for Frost that he keeps every staff member he feels like (including admin asst's), better for UCF if Frost leaves somebody somewhere still in place. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

4. Frost doesn't have to take recruits. He went to Nebraska early so that he could get a jump on recruiting, even if it puts UCF behind the 8-ball. UCF is putting a staff together from scratch, but at least Frost's staff got a good start on recruiting, right? Better for Frost if he sets himself up as well as possible and tries to flip all the recruits that were committed to UCF, better for UCF if Frost doesn't take the whole staff AND try to take all the recruits right before signing period. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

5. Frost doesn't have to take transfers from UCF. But it's in his best interest to take everyone and everything he wants. Decision: we don't know yet

Then there's stuff that isn't as definitive, but doesn't look good in context:

1.  The leak during the championship game. Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

2. The coaching staff clearly started checking out once the decisions started to be made and the team started looking worse and worse. The lower margin of victory was one of the reasons the CFP listed for ranking UCF so low.  Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

I'm willing to wait and see if some new information emerges, but it seems like Frost is not the loyal guy I thought he was, or perhaps, loyal to one school instead of two. We'll see. I think the preparation put in the bowl game (if he coaches), the recruits flipped, and the transfers will paint a picture of a loyal Knight and kindly Huskers AD who handled the transition as ham-handedly as possible, or two guys who aren't incompetent and just like playing nice guys on TV. 

If it's the latter, there's no reason for me to be here if I'm actively rooting for bad things to happen to Frost and Moos. 

I could be everyone's favorite UCF troll?

This seems like a very (understandably) biased view of the situation.  In my biased view, I don't think you understand how big time football works.  I do appreciate your perspective though and I hope that you at least occasionally drop by HB.

Frost being hired away was the blow for UCF. All of this comes with that, because Frost can't simultaneously do what's best for UCF and what's best for Nebraska. This is the deal when you lose a coach. It's impossible for any program to avoid all the time. It's clear the decision wasn't easy for him. Once made, there's no half-assing it. Frost did great things at UCF. Husker fans are immensely grateful for your school giving him the opportunity to grow and coach there, and hopefully you can be equally appreciative of the heights to which he took the program in such a short time. Any coach you hire that is as wildly successful as Frost is, you're unlikely to keep for too long. If Nebraska didn't come open this year or in the next five, I doubt Frost would have left.

We all remember Heupel playing against us and dealing a pretty bad defeat to the then-#1 Huskers in 2000. He's had a nice coaching journey too, and I'm sure none of us harbor any ill will or bad wishes for how UCF does under him. Hopefully you guys have hit gold twice!

5 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

This seems like a very (understandably) biased view of the situation.  In my biased view, I don't think you understand how big time football works.  I do appreciate your perspective though and I hope that you at least occasionally drop by HB.

Frost accepts the UCF coaching job December 1st, steals asst coach Erik Chinander and offers stud QB (Oregon Commit). - Frost is a cold blooded killa.

Frost accepts the NEB coaching job December 2nd, steals asst coaches and offers commits. - Frost is a unloyal doosh. 

Welcome to big boy football Knight.

PS - Appreciate your insight.

• Plus1 6