Assistants Announced

@ATS Knight you should be pissed. That's what being a fan is. When someone leaves you, no matter what the situation, it is a break up and feels like rejection.

Being a fan also means being a hypocrite. We had a GA on staff a few years ago, took a coaching position at another school Took some recruits with him. Even had some players on our roster transfer to him. Some people here thought he was a weasel. I thought he was doing his job. Same people probably have no problem with Frost/ staff offering UCF recruits and/ or potential transfers. 

The idea that somehow the staff did your team wrong towards the end....um, you're undefeated?

Look around. Schools do bad things to coaches (Florida/ McElwain, I'm sure there are plenty more) and coaches do bad things to schools (Jimbo, Taggart, the list is endless). I would say in the grand scheme of things he handled this as righteously as I've seen, and certainly as he could have.

It sounds to me like the issues you currently face are symptomatic of UCF stepping up into big boy college football. Congrats! Be pissed! Feel slighted! Have rallies! That all means you care about something that was 0-12 a few years ago but is now relevant.

TBH - more relevant than we are. Many members of this board won't be able to empathize with anything you say. There is probably nobody more delusional about their importance on the national level than Husker fans.

In the end, Frost was ours before he was yours, so........?

• Plus1 8
4 minutes ago, macroboy said:

@ATS Knight you should be pissed. That's what being a fan is. When someone leaves you, no matter what the situation, it is a break up and feels like rejection.

Being a fan also means being a hypocrite. We had a GA on staff a few years ago, took a coaching position at another school Took some recruits with him. Even had some players on our roster transfer to him. Some people here thought he was a weasel. I thought he was doing his job. Same people probably have no problem with Frost/ staff offering UCF recruits and/ or potential transfers. 

The idea that somehow the staff did your team wrong towards the end....um, you're undefeated?

Look around. Schools do bad things to coaches (Florida/ McElwain, I'm sure there are plenty more) and coaches do bad things to schools (Jimbo, Taggart, the list is endless). I would say in the grand scheme of things he handled this as righteously as I've seen, and certainly as he could have.

It sounds to me like the issues you currently face are symptomatic of UCF stepping up into big boy college football. Congrats! Be pissed! Feel slighted! Have rallies! That all means you care about something that was 0-12 a few years ago but is now relevant.

TBH - more relevant than we are. Many members of this board won't be able to empathize with anything you say. There is probably nobody more delusional about their importance on the national level than Husker fans.

In the end, Frost was ours before he was yours, so........?

Well said. 

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

If they want to win the bowl game and not get blown the eff out....they should WANT them to coach it.

I agree, but it just seems like it would be such an awkward situation with the new staff just getting settled in - do they just focus on recruiting and have nothing to do with the bowl game? 

4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I have good friends that are boosters at Northern Illinois.  They have lost a lot of coaches over that last decade and a half that have been successful and moved on to P5 jobs.  I asked how they deal with losing all of these coaches.  They told me they know the deal.  As long as they are good, people will take their coaches.  If we have bad teams we get to keep our coaches for years and we keep losing.  Which would you prefer.  Our role is to upset P5 teams, go to bowl games, and supply head coaches to bigger schools, who in turn pay us.  It is not a bad deal.

I think it is an interesting assessment of the how things are for these lower tier schools.

Exactly how it is at Univ of Tulsa - my local school that I follow and where my 2 son's graduated from.  Basketball and Football - some pretty good coaches got great 'starts' at TU

Basketball - Nolan Richardson, Bill Self (via ORU first but Bill got to the elite 8 only to lose to NC by 3 pts), Tubby Smith, Danny Manning to name a few

Football - John Cooper (Ohio State),  Todd Graham, to name a couple

It sucks to lose a good coach, but it is worse to have a coach no one else wants.

Edited by TGHusker

I don’t know if this has been discussed before but it occurred to me that apparently the media had a set time they were to announce Scott Frost had accepted the NU job. According to the Lars Anderson tweet it was 4 o’clock/3 central. This would have given him plenty of time to tell his players (I think).  Unfortunately the game went into Double Overtime and messed up the timing, and ESPN had to do the ESPN thing and leak the information with complete disregard for both parties. Oh, well. What’s done is done and we’ve moved on.

On another note, didn’t nice guy Riley steal a couple of recruits from Oregon State when he took the NU job? Wasn’t Tyrin Ferguson committed to the Beavers? Matt Snyder?

2 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

Until/unless some new details emerge, it might be time for me to leave HuskerBoard. 

Here's what I know: people don't root for the coaches that leave them. It's a business decision, nothing personal on both sides (though people make it personal). With Frost, UCF fans could root for him because he's SUCH a nice guy and he loves UCF SO MUCH. But here's what else I know:

1. Frost didn't have to talk to other schools during the year. It would be better for him to do so and position himself well for any opportunities, but better for UCF if he told schools, I'll talk to you after the season is over. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

2. Frost didn't have to accept an offer from another school during the season. He could have said, "I'm interested, I'll only sign after the season". Better for Frost that he does what the new school wants, better for UCF if he waits. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

3. Frost didn't have to take the whole staff, there are numerous ways that he could make sure the players had some continuity (find a different TE coach). Maybe even someone that knows how to recruit Nebraska/the midwest. Better for Frost that he keeps every staff member he feels like (including admin asst's), better for UCF if Frost leaves somebody somewhere still in place. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

4. Frost doesn't have to take recruits. He went to Nebraska early so that he could get a jump on recruiting, even if it puts UCF behind the 8-ball. UCF is putting a staff together from scratch, but at least Frost's staff got a good start on recruiting, right? Better for Frost if he sets himself up as well as possible and tries to flip all the recruits that were committed to UCF, better for UCF if Frost doesn't take the whole staff AND try to take all the recruits right before signing period. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

5. Frost doesn't have to take transfers from UCF. But it's in his best interest to take everyone and everything he wants. Decision: we don't know yet

Then there's stuff that isn't as definitive, but doesn't look good in context:

1.  The leak during the championship game. Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

2. The coaching staff clearly started checking out once the decisions started to be made and the team started looking worse and worse. The lower margin of victory was one of the reasons the CFP listed for ranking UCF so low.  Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

I'm willing to wait and see if some new information emerges, but it seems like Frost is not the loyal guy I thought he was, or perhaps, loyal to one school instead of two. We'll see. I think the preparation put in the bowl game (if he coaches), the recruits flipped, and the transfers will paint a picture of a loyal Knight and kindly Huskers AD who handled the transition as ham-handedly as possible, or two guys who aren't incompetent and just like playing nice guys on TV. 

If it's the latter, there's no reason for me to be here if I'm actively rooting for bad things to happen to Frost and Moos. 

I could be everyone's favorite UCF troll?

Nothing anyone can say will significantly change your opinions, especially right now.  Setting aside football (which is truly a big business), I'll relate a recent experience I had.  Went to interview with a company in their information security department.  I noticed that several of the senior infosec staff had all worked for a competitor until around two years ago.  While interviewing with this group, my suspicion was confirmed.  The Chief Information Security Officer was lured away from the competitor to start a new infosec group at this company.  Within the following year, he'd brought over 4 of his old team to work at the new company.  That represents almost the entire infosec staff from the old company.

I guess my point is, this happens everywhere, football or business.

Saying that, if I were a UCF fan, I'd be pretty well pissed off and not too forgiving right now too!

Hope you stick around.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Football Guy Bob said:

This is dorky?

5272724b9b54a.image.jpg

"Josh Heupel is the coach that UCF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. 

So we'll out-recruit him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our coach. He's a silent coordinator, a watchful instructor. A UCF knight."

-UCF Athletic Director James Gordon

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 9
6 hours ago, brophog said:

See it from the other side. Imagine if another school took our entire staff, targeted our recruits, and did it before one of the most high profile bowl games in school history. This forum would be a raging inferno.

Frost has handled this about as well as he could, but this is still a coaching change, they're messy by their very nature. People will naturally be upset.

I can understand why they're mad, I just don't think they have a reason to be. Everything Frost's done has been common practice. Why is he supposed to hamper his success to please the people of a university he is no longer employed to? Calling their actions as selfish is completely irrational.

• Plus1 1