Assistants Announced

42 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I've got like two dozen notifications, so I'll try to address as much as I can in a general response:

There seems to be this idea that UCF fans (and me) are going through these unrealistic stages of grief and that if we want to play "big boy" football, we just need to suck it up. 

First, there are fans that are going through the stages of grief and might be for a while. For most of us, we had plenty of time to figure out that Frost was leaving. It's been weeks, y'all. Most of us got over it. Coaches being poached happens at all levels of college football and there was decent chance of him going back to Oregon or Nebraska from the start. Most of the fans are over it. 

Second, coaches being poached happens at all levels of college football. Everyone experiences it at some point. I actually think it happens less at higher levels of football. 

So this idea of "don't try to rationalize with butthurt UCF fans"... well, that's actually probably accurate. But not for the reasons you think. 

Frost left, boo hoo. Hard to complain when we just went undefeated. Guy doesn't owe us anything. Flipping recruits, taking transfers. Everyone does that. Taking coaches? Common. Taking all the coaches? Not so common, but that speaks more to Frost's leadership ability than anything else (that piece is probably irreplaceable. I'll admit that stings that we'll probably never find another coach like that). 

The issue is that Frost presented himself like he wasn't like other coaches. Like he was torn about the decision. If he had said, "UCF was great, smell you later" (or something cooler), we would have said, "Thanks for the championship. We're mad that you screwed up our bowl, but you got us there." And we would have gotten over it. 

But Frost has talked a lot about how much he loved UCF, and the leadership, and the team, and the fans, and how he wishes us well and wants to come back and coach because he loves everyone. And the UCF have mostly bought into that. 

THAT'S the part that we're upset about. Not the coach leaving, but the coach wanting good things for us and decimating us as thoroughly as seemingly possible. 

2 questions for Nebraska fans (serious questions looking for examples):

1) Have you ever heard a coach talk about a school they were leaving the way Frost has talked about us? I know some coaches that have said some nice things on the way out, but nothing like this. 

2) Have you ever heard about a coach taking as much from a school on his way out? I know some coaches that have taken some things, but nothing like this. 

It's the contrast between the two that has UCF fans feeling betrayed. 

Are you saying that the assistants don't get a say.  SF can't say i like you and you have been a great part of my team but you have to stay.....

13 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Welcome to the hell that UCF fans are going through. 

Frost: I love UCF. I'm so loyal to you, I'm just more loyal to Nebraska. 

UCF: We understand. That means that you'll be nicer than all those guys that callously used their programs as stepping stones?

Frost: Nope! I'll treat you much worse. 

UCF: Worse? I thought you had a special attachment...

Frost: I do!

UCF: But you're going to ravage our program worse than coaches that hated their last school?

Frost: Yup! Go Big Red!

Nice story - don't think it went down like that and it looks like you have made up your mind and need to move on.

@ATS Knight, sounds like Frost isn't the kind of guy that you guys should have ever considered to run your program.  

My wife is divorcing me after 25 years of marriage.  My real sadness is that I know the person I am losing.  I just won't ever be able to say anything bad about her.  She will never be my "Ex."  I will always love her and she will always have my heart.  I don't know if I will ever be able to move on.

You are in a totally different situation however ... man, just let this guy go.  He isn't worth it.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, ATS Knight said:

UCF: We understand. That means that you'll be nicer than all those guys that callously used their programs as stepping stones?

UCF: But you're going to ravage our program worse than coaches that hated their last school?

I mean no disrespect; this post made me actually LOL in real life.  Thank you for that.

I now know why it is that you’re upset.  It would be different if Frost was like Jimbo Fisher, and just left for a bigger payday, but it isn’t the case.  Perhaps you understand that Scott really does love UCF, so it feels like a parent who loves you, but has a favorite child, and you’re not it.

Scott said there was only two schools he’d ever consider; I’m guessing those schools are Nebraska, and Oregon.  If it makes you feel any better (I’m sure it probably doesn’t)- Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M, Florida State, Arkansas etc. had no shot at stealing a UCF head coach.

That said, you now have another coach that played quarterback, won a National Championship, and he’s from Oklahoma... so...

Edited by Truth in Ruin
  • Plus1 1

I guess it comes down to whether or not Frost actually poached the staff. Sure, he took guys like Held, that have Husker ties, but what about Belton and Walters? Didn't Frost "leave" them to take over, or at least stay as part of the new UCF staff? Didn't the new UCF staff essentially say no to Walters and lower Belton's pay? Unless I'm misunderstanding, UCF didn't exactly do right by some of the staff, therefore, making it very easy for them to decide (as opposed to being poached) to follow Frost to NU. 

His loyalty lies with the players in the program and the coaches who coached.  The fans never really showed up, even when they were winning big.  Doesn't really owe them anything. With a sold out game every week it might have made the decision more difficult.  

38 minutes ago, Truth in Ruin said:

I mean no disrespect; this post made me actually LOL in real life.  Thank you for that.

I now know why it is that you’re upset.

Thank God, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Some guy called me a UCF troll!

10 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I guess it comes down to whether or not Frost actually poached the staff. Sure, he took guys like Held, that have Husker ties, but what about Belton and Walters? Didn't Frost "leave" them to take over, or at least stay as part of the new UCF staff? Didn't the new UCF staff essentially say no to Walters and lower Belton's pay? Unless I'm misunderstanding, UCF didn't exactly do right by some of the staff, therefore, making it very easy for them to decide (as opposed to being poached) to follow Frost to NU. 

I'm still waiting for details to come out, but on our side, the story is that both were offered the same positions and raises and they decided to leave anyway. If Heupel ran them out of town, we'll be pissed at Heupel.

16 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Thank God, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Some guy called me a UCF troll!

I'm still waiting for details to come out, but on our side, the story is that both were offered the same positions and raises and they decided to leave anyway. If Heupel ran them out of town, we'll be pissed at Heupel.

But you're OUR troll!

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

2 questions for Nebraska fans (serious questions looking for examples):

1) Have you ever heard a coach talk about a school they were leaving the way Frost has talked about us? I know some coaches that have said some nice things on the way out, but nothing like this. 

2) Have you ever heard about a coach taking as much from a school on his way out? I know some coaches that have taken some things, but nothing like this. 

It's the contrast between the two that has UCF fans feeling betrayed. 

1) Nothing comes to mind but I normally don't pay attention to that unless Nebraska is involved.

2) PJ Fleck and Chris Peterson took almost their entire staff and I know at least Fleck took a ton of recruits.  In any case, when a coach doesn't bring an assistant over it's almost always because they either want to hire someone better or because the assistant chooses to remain at the program/go somewhere else.  I've never heard of a head coach not taking an assistant that he otherwise could have because he didn't want to leave his previous program in a bad spot.  Personally, I think leaving behind a staff member that contributed to his success and that wanted to follow him to Nebraska would have been a bigger jerk move than taking them.

• Plus1 1