Assistants Announced

5 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I would just ignore the UCF trolls. Frost has been more gracious and honest than all other coaches who left their teams this year and in recent years. 

UCF has never had a coach leave since we started playing real football. Past three coaches were fired or forced to resign. 

19 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Give us some background on the tweets?  I don't know who either one of those are....j

So Beckton leaving is a BFD for UCF fans. It actually hurts worse than Frost. From 1985-2015, UCF only had three coaches, so this quick transition thing is new to us. The one mainstay at all times has been Beckton. He was a grad assistant in '92 and has been coaching in various capacities since '96. Solid guy, solid recruited, solid coach. Never complained and bled black and gold. No matter what chaos happened in the transitions, Beckton was around preaching the gospel of UCF.

So when Frost left, the consolation was that of course Beckton was still here, still preaching the gospel of UCF. Him leaving is a really bad sign. Charley Hughett is just a former UCF player. The big deal, though, is Beckton wouldn't leave unless a warlock had hypnotized him or something happened...

37 minutes ago, Kernel Red said:

Is there any chance UCF refused to pay coaching bonuses to assistants for the bowl game?

Something strange is happening here.

Something strange is happening here. I've heard rumblings about bowl game bonuses for the coaching staff, possibly tied to flipping commitments. I'm not sure I see the potential for UCF to look good here, but I sure see the potential for something bad.

Beckton leaving is a very ominous canary...

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, ATS Knight said:

Something strange is happening here. I've heard rumblings about bowl game bonuses for the coaching staff, possibly tied to flipping commitments. I'm not sure I see the potential for UCF to look good here, but I sure see the potential for something bad.

That's something going around. Not sure what the truth is but stiffing a long time AC is never a good look. Seems like the guy wanted to be a UCF lifer. Too bad if it ends on a nominal amount of money. 

• Plus1 1

@ATS Knight I think the other thing people need to understand is one of the things that makes Frost a good coach is his competitive drive. Once he is committed he is going to give you 100%. I think he did that there and now he’s doing it here. You can’t “go easy” on anyone and be successful at this level. It sounds like you expected him to. That’s not the coach we hired or the coach you hired 2 years ago. Honestly, answer this question. Would you really have thought less of Frost if he had brought most of Oregon’s staff? Nope. You would have been glad you hired a coach people wanted to follow. 

Also the narrative of him “taking”the coaches has to stop. These are grown men(They’re 40!). He has not to my knowledge abducted them. As you said, it’s a testament to his leadership. The same leadership qualities which took you from 0-12 two years ago. If he was truly the Machiavellian villain ya’ll want him to be I doubt he would inspire that degree of loyalty. 

Obviously with the Becton tweets there is also something else rotten in Denmark as well. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

UCF has never had a coach leave since we started playing real football. Past three coaches were fired or forced to resign. 

So Beckton leaving is a BFD for UCF fans. It actually hurts worse than Frost. From 1985-2015, UCF only had three coaches, so this quick transition thing is new to us. The one mainstay at all times has been Beckton. He was a grad assistant in '92 and has been coaching in various capacities since '96. Solid guy, solid recruited, solid coach. Never complained and bled black and gold. No matter what chaos happened in the transitions, Beckton was around preaching the gospel of UCF.

So when Frost left, the consolation was that of course Beckton was still here, still preaching the gospel of UCF. Him leaving is a really bad sign. Charley Hughett is just a former UCF player. The big deal, though, is Beckton wouldn't leave unless a warlock had hypnotized him or something happened...

Lol it’s 100000000% obvious to all Husker fans that Walters and Beckton tried very hard to stay at UCF. The reason they aren’t there anymore is 99% you guys f'ing something up and 1% Frost wanting them to stay on his staff.

i can already see the writing on the wall. UCF is gonna f#*k this up and not have a coaching staff for their bowl game and lose by 30.

Edited by ScottyIce
  • Plus1 4

25 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Lol it’s 100000000% obvious to all Husker fans that Walters and Beckton tried very hard to stay at UCF. The reason they aren’t there anymore is 99% you guys f'ing something up and 1% Frost wanting them to stay on his staff.

i can already see the writing on the wall. UCF is gonna f#*k this up and not have a coaching staff for their bowl game and lose by 30.

Chill iceman

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Chill iceman

Yes.  This.  I know you're excited but your running around like a kid all hopped up on chocolate milk and Sugar Babies because he cleaned his room.  Just ease back a little bit.  I mean...what do you expect @ATS Knight to say in this situation?  I haven't read through the whole thread but to my knowledge UCF hasn't ever had a coach leave of his own volition.  They've always gotten wacked or resigned.  

15 hours ago, URSS said:

Nebraska could have tslked privately to Frost and held off until the bowl game but the gossip was rampant in the news media and sports news.  

Going back to @ATS Knight's initial points, this statement simply doesn't jive with modern day college football.

Frost couldn't wait until after the bowl game or even after the championship game to start the hiring process. The early signing period and volatility of the market demands swift action. If you try to do things slow and wait until December then you will flat out miss out on the best coaching candidates. 

I also think we really need to key in on what I believe to be one of the single greatest contributing factors to all this - UCF's ceiling. They spent the whole season getting goofed over by the CFP committee and there's no question in my mind that Frost would still be coaching full time at UCF if they were in the CFP.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Chill iceman

There is literally nothing to chill about.

It's ludicrous that they are calling out Frost for taking his ball and going home.

A) Many of the staff members are Husker alums, what do you expect?

B) The coaches that were UCF guys obviously had a legit reason to come to Nebraska.

- They stayed a week and this is after "everyone" knew the staff was already leaving.

- They waited until a new HC was hired at UCF.

- They interviewed with the new HC to try and stay.

+ They either weren't offered their original job or they found out some stuff they didn't like, either way, how could you blame them? It's so crystal clear to me that they both wanted to stay.

I'm sorry, I feel like @ATS Knight is probably a really solid dude, but is coming off quite whiny. Everything that has gone on is how this business works. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

58 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Going back to @ATS Knight's initial points, this statement simply doesn't jive with modern day college football.

Frost couldn't wait until after the bowl game or even after the championship game to start the hiring process. The early signing period and volatility of the market demands swift action. If you try to do things slow and wait until December then you will flat out miss out on the best coaching candidates. 

I also think we really need to key in on what I believe to be one of the single greatest contributing factors to all this - UCF's ceiling. They spent the whole season getting goofed over by the CFP committee and there's no question in my mind that Frost would still be coaching full time at UCF if they were in the CFP.

Yup. At the end of the day, UCF has a ceiling until they are in a P5 conference. They hit that ceiling this year.

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

There is literally nothing to chill about.

It's ludicrous that they are calling out Frost for taking his ball and going home.

A) Many of the staff members are Husker alums, what do you expect?

B) The coaches that were UCF guys obviously had a legit reason to come to Nebraska.

- They stayed a week and this is after "everyone" knew the staff was already leaving.

- They waited until a new HC was hired at UCF.

- They interviewed with the new HC to try and stay.

+ They either weren't offered their original job or they found out some stuff they didn't like, either way, how could you blame them? It's so crystal clear to me that they both wanted to stay.

I'm sorry, I feel like @ATS Knight is probably a really solid dude, but is coming off quite whiny. Everything that has gone on is how this business works. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Yup. At the end of the day, UCF has a ceiling until they are in a P5 conference. They hit that ceiling this year.

I understand they shouldn't be upset, but they are and your post was inflammatory. If you want to be that way whatever, but its not the best look. 

• Plus1 3

Is UCF trying to make it seem like it was the coaches that didn't want to stay perhaps? Sort of a save face thing? I mean I think their new HC is going to be a flop. He doesn't have the commanding presence that Frost has and guys like Meyer and Saban have. Some guys have it and if they have it they are usually big boy coaches. Riley doesn't have it, Solich didn't have it etc etc. 

I think UCF pooped the bed on this hire personally. They had a broyles nominee begging to he their HC and instead hired Mizzerys OC.....meh 

• Plus1 1
  • Scott Frost - Head Coach
  • Troy Walters - Offensive Coordinator/Receivers
  • Greg Austin - Offensive Line
  • Ryan Held - Running Backs
  • Mario Verduzco - Quarterbacks
  • Sean Beckton - Tight Ends/Recruiting Coordinator
  • Barrett Ruud - Inside Linebackers
  • Erik Chinander - Defensive Coordinator
  • Mike Dawson - Defensive Line
  • Jovan Dewitt - Outside LBs/Special Teams
  • Travis Fisher - Defensive Backs
  • Zach Duval - Head Football Strength and Conditioning Coach
  • Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Is UCF trying to make it seem like it was the coaches that didn't want to stay perhaps? Sort of a save face thing?

This worries me. Again, waiting for more details. 

23 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I think UCF pooped the bed on this hire personally. They had a broyles nominee begging to he their HC and instead hired Mizzerys OC.....meh 

Certainly possible. We get hope from the fact that the last guy we hired was some guy who no one was excited about and couldn't even design his own offense. 

36 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I'm sorry, I feel like @ATS Knight is probably a really solid dude, but is coming off quite whiny.

It's not fair when people call me whiny...

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Yep, it really screws over a team when they have to wait until December to hire coaches...

4 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

Also the narrative of him “taking”the coaches has to stop. These are grown men(They’re 40!). He has not to my knowledge abducted them. As you said, it’s a testament to his leadership. The same leadership qualities which took you from 0-12 two years ago. If he was truly the Machiavellian villain ya’ll want him to be I doubt he would inspire that degree of loyalty. 

Unless he is an evil warlock, as established earlier in the thread. 

9 hours ago, Sparker said:

Rumors going around that they objected to the new mandatory Superhero-Friday dress code.

Somebody's cousin overheard at Tijuana Flats that the coaches wanted to dress as other members of the Justice League but were told that Superhero-Friday forces everyone to wear the same one-size-fits-all costume of Batman. Told that the admin assistant left in anticipation of this rule. 

Edited by ATS Knight
  • Plus1 4