Assistants Announced

12 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

This worries me. Again, waiting for more details. 

Certainly possible. We get hope from the fact that the last guy we hired was some guy who no one was excited about and couldn't even design his own offense. 

It's not fair when people call me whiny...

Yep, it really screws over a team when they have to wait until December to hire coaches...

Unless he is an evil warlock, as established earlier in the thread. 

Somebody's cousin overheard at Tijuana Flats that the coaches wanted to dress as other members of the Justice League but were told that Superhero-Friday forces everyone to wear the same one-size-fits-all costume of Batman. Told that the admin assistant left in anticipation of this rule. 

No one was excited to get the OC of Oregon???? He was a very hot commodity when you got him 

• Plus1 3

Frost turned down at least 3 Power 5 programs for UCF, IIRC.

I have read on the UCF board that they had never heard of him at the time, which I get, but once you found out he coached a Heisman trophy winner and Oregon's offense I would think you'd get excited.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
16 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

Welcome to the hell that UCF fans are going through. 

Frost: I love UCF. I'm so loyal to you, I'm just more loyal to Nebraska. 

UCF: We understand. That means that you'll be nicer than all those guys that callously used their programs as stepping stones?

Frost: Nope! I'll treat you much worse. 

UCF: Worse? I thought you had a special attachment...

Frost: I do!

UCF: But you're going to ravage our program worse than coaches that hated their last school?

Frost: Yup! Go Big Red!

This is such a whiny-ass take. How did he ravage your program? By hiring away assistants that he (mostly) brought there himself? He saved that program, and a little gratitude towards Frost would be expected. Again, he was universally praised for how he handled that situation. UCF fans are fabricating, or greatly exaggerating the details of his exit.

I for one, am glad with the way UCF fans have handled his exit. It should do nothing but confirm to Scott that he made the right decision. 

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 3

3 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

Somebody's cousin overheard at Tijuana Flats that the coaches wanted to dress as other members of the Justice League but were told that Superhero-Friday forces everyone to wear the same one-size-fits-all costume of Batman. Told that the admin assistant left in anticipation of this rule. 

i heard he wanted all the assistants to wear costumes of the various incarnations of robin.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Frost turned down at least 3 Power 5 programs for UCF, IIRC.

I have read on the UCF board that they had never heard of him at the time, which I get, but once you found out he coached a Heisman trophy winner and Oregon's offense I would think you'd get excited.

But look at the fan base. That stadium was half full at best most of this year. This is not a knowledgeable fan base. Of course there are exceptions I’m sure. I’m not stating that to be a jerk. It’s just obvious. If UCF was going to hire a coach their fans had heard of it would be a list of like 8 guys some of whom are in the NFL or broadcasting at this point

Edited by olddominionhusker
  • Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

But look at the fan base. That stadium was half full at best most of this year. This is not a knowledgeable fan base. Of course there are exceptions I’m sure. I’m not stating that to be a jerk. It’s just obvious. If UCF was going to hire a coach their fans had heard of it would be a list of like 8 guys some of whom are in the NFL or broadcasting at this point

We were all hoping to get Herm Edwards, but ASU beat us out. Damn P5 money...

• Plus1 8
12 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

Yep, it really screws over a team when they have to wait until December to hire coaches...

Early bird gets the worm, as they say.

It is too bad, in all honesty - I sympathize with Frost's difficulty making the decision with so much else going on at one time. All things considered, Nebraska got their best available candidate after a slew of opportune events. Everyone is always looking out for #1.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:02 PM, ATS Knight said:

I've got like two dozen notifications, so I'll try to address as much as I can in a general response:

There seems to be this idea that UCF fans (and me) are going through these unrealistic stages of grief and that if we want to play "big boy" football, we just need to suck it up. 

First, there are fans that are going through the stages of grief and might be for a while. For most of us, we had plenty of time to figure out that Frost was leaving. It's been weeks, y'all. Most of us got over it. Coaches being poached happens at all levels of college football and there was decent chance of him going back to Oregon or Nebraska from the start. Most of the fans are over it. 

Second, coaches being poached happens at all levels of college football. Everyone experiences it at some point. I actually think it happens less at higher levels of football. 

So this idea of "don't try to rationalize with butthurt UCF fans"... well, that's actually probably accurate. But not for the reasons you think. 

Frost left, boo hoo. Hard to complain when we just went undefeated. Guy doesn't owe us anything. Flipping recruits, taking transfers. Everyone does that. Taking coaches? Common. Taking all the coaches? Not so common, but that speaks more to Frost's leadership ability than anything else (that piece is probably irreplaceable. I'll admit that stings that we'll probably never find another coach like that). 

The issue is that Frost presented himself like he wasn't like other coaches. Like he was torn about the decision. If he had said, "UCF was great, smell you later" (or something cooler), we would have said, "Thanks for the championship. We're mad that you screwed up our bowl, but you got us there." And we would have gotten over it. 

But Frost has talked a lot about how much he loved UCF, and the leadership, and the team, and the fans, and how he wishes us well and wants to come back and coach because he loves everyone. And the UCF have mostly bought into that. 

THAT'S the part that we're upset about. Not the coach leaving, but the coach wanting good things for us and decimating us as thoroughly as seemingly possible. 

2 questions for Nebraska fans (serious questions looking for examples):

1) Have you ever heard a coach talk about a school they were leaving the way Frost has talked about us? I know some coaches that have said some nice things on the way out, but nothing like this. 

2) Have you ever heard about a coach taking as much from a school on his way out? I know some coaches that have taken some things, but nothing like this. 

It's the contrast between the two that has UCF fans feeling betrayed. 

He likes you guys...seriously...just not more than a friend. 

On 12/8/2017 at 2:39 PM, Crusader Husker said:

Here is an interesting question.  When was the last time that the Huskers lost a coach in any sport that we didn't want to lose?  I am not talking about retirement, but to another school or the Pro's.  Baseball?

Baseball—Van Horn to Arkansas and Childress to Texass A&M. 

• Plus1 3
41 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Baseball—Van Horn to Arkansas and Childress to Texass A&M. 

I think Childress went to a&m after he was passed over for Mike Anderson.  I don't think the same season, but maybe a one or two later.  Van Horn hurt the most.  But he was from Arkansas so I understand  

14 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

Certainly possible. We get hope from the fact that the last guy we hired was some guy who no one was excited about and couldn't even design his own offense. 

This to me is one reason i dont feel too bad about taking Frost. There were probably 10x or more Nebraska fans than UCF fans that wanted to hire Frost here for the past 3 years. He has done well now so yall feel bad about him leaving but he was our guy and we have been rooting for him for 20+ years. If he sucked yall would have rode him outta town without a second thought.