ESPN-How Nebraska Got Scott Frost

Pretty awesome article that details everything that went down with Moos, Osborne, Davison, and Frost.

ESPN article

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The pieces that led to Nebraska's hiring of Scott Frost as football coach over the weekend did not fall into place out of a fairy tale.

As late as Friday night, Frost harbored deep reservations about leaving his unbeaten team at UCF. A lengthy conversation with his mentor and former coach, Tom Osborne, persuaded Frost to stick with the decision to return to his alma mater. And without the deliberate work of Matt Davison, Frost's ex-teammate and close friend, the Cornhuskers likely would have lacked the connection to strike a deal.

• Plus1 3

It's interesting reading these articles, ESPN has this one, OWH put one out, I think LJS had something similar. I also just listened this this radio bit on his last week: https://969thegame.iheart.com/featured/beat-of-sports/content/2017-12-04-the-last-week-for-scott-frost-at-ucf/.

They all talk about how torn SF was, how hard of a decision, etc and I believe that he really did have a hard time leaving and really enjoyed Orlando and UCF. However, I work in the marketing/PR world and the fact that all these stories are so similar and coming out at the same time makes me think there is some PR work going on to soften the blow at UCF some. The only reason SF would do that is because he cares and wants people to know that he really was torn, but it seems to me like people are pushing this story hard.

• Plus1 2

I knew this was a much tougher sell, than a lot thought.  Scott knew what had gone on at Nebraska, saw the way his mentor was treated.  The only way he came home was with Coach Osborne's assurance that the program was in good hands.  With out the administration change, Coach Osborne would have told him to stay I think.  I know the man quite well, and I know how he thinks, and how important his relationship with Coach Frost is.  Then you have a young man/coach who took a group to the top of the world, that he truly cared for.  Hard to walk away from that.  I don't think it was about money, I don't think he would have gone to Florida, FSU or TAMU.   He was UCF or Nebraska.  So in the end we have a great man, with ethics, loyalty and love for the state and young hard charging Coach that patterns his life after Tom Osborne.  These two together at Nebraska will make improvements, no question in my mind.  Pretty sure we are going to see more of Coach Osborne around campus, he sorta, has a grandson  to get in line.

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, skersfan said:

I knew this was a much tougher sell, than a lot thought.  Scott knew what had gone on at Nebraska, saw the way his mentor was treated.  The only way he came home was with Coach Osborne's assurance that the program was in good hands.  With out the administration change, Coach Osborne would have told him to stay I think.  I know the man quite well, and I know how he thinks, and how important his relationship with Coach Frost is.  Then you have a young man/coach who took a group to the top of the world, that he truly cared for.  Hard to walk away from that.  I don't think it was about money, I don't think he would have gone to Florida, FSU or TAMU.   He was UCF or Nebraska.  So in the end we have a great man, with ethics, loyalty and love for the state and young hard charging Coach that patterns his life after Tom Osborne.  These two together at Nebraska will make improvements, no question in my mind.  Pretty sure we are going to see more of Coach Osborne around campus, he sorta, has a grandson  to get in line.

Did you see or hear the Greg Sharpe interview where he asked if Coach Osborne would be welcome around the program?  Scott was kind of upset by the question.  His answer was something along the lines of "Do I want him around?  Are you kidding me?  Of course I want him around."

• Plus1 3

Read this and let me know how much PR there is to Scott's indecisiveness.

http://www.wesh.com/article/pats-2-cent ... a/14029273

Quote:
He was happy to autograph the footballs, and as I handed him the first one - as he began to sign it - I quietly asked him one simple question.

“How are you doing, Scott?”

He looked up from the football and said, “I don’t know what to do.”

Moments later, longtime UCF play-by-play voice Marc Daniels walked into the conversation, and for the next 25 minutes, he and I listened to Scott Frost purge in ways that neither of us could have imagined.

At some point during our conversation, Marc and I realized the enormity of what was happening. Even the coach said that he “probably shouldn’t be telling you guys all these things,” then a moment later asked us what we would do if we were in his shoes. Crazy. Only later did it occur to me that Scott might have shared these otherwise private thoughts because Marc and I had no investment in his future. Perhaps he trusted us.

“Right now I have two homes,” he told us. “One up there with my parents, and my home here in Orlando. If I go there and fail, I won’t have any home. I won’t be able to stay, and I will have given up my place here.” Scott had said he wasn’t able to sleep. That quote offered proof.

ESPN doesn't hate us but they do know that Scott Frost might not have been smart taking the Nebraska job over another top tier school like Florida or Tennessee, because recruiting will be hard in Nebraska.  They spent 10 minutes saying just that last night during their bowl selection show and the show after.  It appears we have cold weather here that may scare off recruits if they come visit in November.  Recruiting at UCF is easier then Nebraska because Frost could walk out of his office, throw a rock and hit good players.  Yet his QB is from Hawaii.  Go figure.

So why is recruiting in Nebraska harder than any other cold weather school in states at similar latitudes or north of Nebraska (roughly 1/2 of the country)?   Maybe Nebraska should only recruit in Nebraska and add Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin.  I don't know, it could work, since the teams from there are 1/3 of the top 10 right now.

If recruits don't want to go anywhere cold, or learn how to handle bad weather, they should give up any hope of ever playing in the NFL.

• Plus1 3

“Right now I have two homes,” he told us. “One up there with my parents, and my home here in Orlando. If I go there and fail, I won’t have any home. I won’t be able to stay, and I will have given up my place here.” Scott had said he wasn’t able to sleep. That quote offered proof.

Sobering quote from Scott about the reality of how this isn't all roses for him and his family the way it is for us as fans. Everyone should read this quote and cheer like absolute mad for Scott to succeed here - not for us, but for him. Wow.

• Plus1 6

Sobering, yes, but at the same time, he faced these issues at any other school, not to mention UCF, given what happened to his predecessor. I believe him when he says he came back to restore the tradition we once had, and this is his home. 

I agree that we need to get behind him 100% - we all need to cheer and donate and do whatever we can to make this thing go.