ESPN-How Nebraska Got Scott Frost

I think he knows how hard it is to succeed at Nebraska and grasps the enormity of the challenge before him. He would rock at UCF for a long time, perhaps however long he wanted. Nobody has been able to take Nebraska to the top for about two decades now, and the fallout if he flops here could be really ugly. He's right to be wary of it. 

Nebraska is now truly bringing the 90s back. Failure now can no longer be blamed on outsiders who don't get the culture, who don't respect the walk-on program, who don't play the style of play Nebraska should be playing, and so on. The pressure on Frost to deliver is enormous. I hope he is able to handle it with aplomb.

• Plus1 1

Frost is a Nebraskan, through and through. He has accomplished what most any Nebraska fan would want. He has grown up in the state, was starting QB for the Cornhuskers and now the head football coach for the Nebraska Cornhuskers. I, being a huge Nebraska fan, could have no more higher respect and admiration for a person. I don't think I am alone with this perspective, since Nebraska fans are indeed the greatest fans and we are the greatest fans because we hold our values and attachment to this university and football program different then anyone else. To Nebraska fans, football means more. Knowing this, knowing the Nebraska fan, Frost will always have a home at Nebraska. Like we say every Saturday before a game.....

Dear Lord, the battles we go through life,
We ask for a chance that's fair,
A chance to equal our stride,
A chance to do or dare,
If we should win, let it be by the code,
Faith and Honor held high,
If we should lose, we'll stand by the road,
And cheer as the winners go by.
Day by Day, we get better and better!

Win or lose, Coach Frost will forever be a Cornhusker and in that, he will never fail.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I think he knows how hard it is to succeed at Nebraska and grasps the enormity of the challenge before him. He would rock at UCF for a long time, perhaps however long he wanted. Nobody has been able to take Nebraska to the top for about two decades now, and the fallout if he flops here could be really ugly. He's right to be wary of it. 

Nebraska is now truly bringing the 90s back. Failure now can no longer be blamed on outsiders who don't get the culture, who don't respect the walk-on program, who don't play the style of play Nebraska should be playing, and so on. The pressure on Frost to deliver is enormous. I hope he is able to handle it with aplomb.

That is exactly why TO will be around a LOT more now that Frost is here.. to help however he can to make it work.. The early years are the most important!

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, InOmaha said:

ESPN doesn't hate us but they do know that Scott Frost might not have been smart taking the Nebraska job over another top tier school like Florida or Tennessee, because recruiting will be hard in Nebraska.  They spent 10 minutes saying just that last night during their bowl selection show and the show after.  It appears we have cold weather here that may scare off recruits if they come visit in November.  Recruiting at UCF is easier then Nebraska because Frost could walk out of his office, throw a rock and hit good players.  Yet his QB is from Hawaii.  Go figure.

So why is recruiting in Nebraska harder than any other cold weather school in states at similar latitudes or north of Nebraska (roughly 1/2 of the country)?   Maybe Nebraska should only recruit in Nebraska and add Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin.  I don't know, it could work, since the teams from there are 1/3 of the top 10 right now.

If recruits don't want to go anywhere cold, or learn how to handle bad weather, they should give up any hope of ever playing in the NFL.

Agreed. Its a tired, superficial, and frankly, stupid narrative.

I think he was very lucky not to get the job 3 years ago because of the administration at that point. Perlman and Eichorst messed things up tremendously and he would have been caught in the middle of that . Moos is a much better fit and his presence /support gives Scott a much better chance of success . Scott is going to focus on doing things the right way and I think at the very least he’ll have the program trending upward again . Better recruiting , winning games  , and possible championships will be the result of that . 

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, InOmaha said:

ESPN doesn't hate us but they do know that Scott Frost might not have been smart taking the Nebraska job over another top tier school like Florida or Tennessee, because recruiting will be hard in Nebraska.  They spent 10 minutes saying just that last night during their bowl selection show and the show after.  It appears we have cold weather here that may scare off recruits if they come visit in November.  Recruiting at UCF is easier then Nebraska because Frost could walk out of his office, throw a rock and hit good players.  Yet his QB is from Hawaii.  Go figure.

So why is recruiting in Nebraska harder than any other cold weather school in states at similar latitudes or north of Nebraska (roughly 1/2 of the country)?   Maybe Nebraska should only recruit in Nebraska and add Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin.  I don't know, it could work, since the teams from there are 1/3 of the top 10 right now.

If recruits don't want to go anywhere cold, or learn how to handle bad weather, they should give up any hope of ever playing in the NFL.

So if you get drafted by the Buffalo Bills or Chicago Bears you should not go pro because of the cold weather?

2 minutes ago, roadrat said:

Do the recruits realize they may someday get a job whether in the NFL or business and it might be at a cold place. Somehow the Green Bay Packers manage to field a team every year. 

Just beat me

20 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Growing up watching Scott play I am not sure I could ever give up on the guy. I am ok with not winning another national title. I do not even have that in my mind. Do things the right way, work harder than any other team and the rest will take care of itself 

My exact sentiments.