Eichorst-really a Wisconsin plant?

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I think we're going to look back in 15 years at the ADSE/HCMR era and wonder aloud, "Man, what the heck was this all about?!?"  Eichorst is such a conundrum for me because on one hand he did some really good things on a macro level for NU.  Eichorst was a big driver on this latest set of NCAA recruiting rules which really benefited Nebraska and from all accounts he really worked hard at improving the student-athlete experience.  However, his desire to insulate himself from his coaches with layers of staff and protocols is a really crappy way to run a business.  I think Eichorst could be a really good associate AD for someone as he's shown an ability to think outside the box on things.  If I were looking to hire an AD for a P5 school, it would be difficult to convince myself to hire Eichorst, I just don't think he's cut out to be a leader on the big stage.

I believe Harvey didn't think Bo's rage fits were a good look for Nebraska. He read Eichorst's book and thought he was someone that gets it and no way would he let Bo stay on the energy bus. Instead of figuring out a way to work with Bo and channel his feistiness in a positive way he insulated himself from Bo which made Bo's behavior worse. Once he got rid of Bo he sought out a nice guy that wouldn't create waves and he could work with. Putting a coach's personality above ability was his mistake.  Eichorst coming from Wisconsin is probably coincidental. When called as a reference, Alvarez might have had doubts but why express them if he's going to your competition?

BTW, did anyone read Eichorst's book? It probably explains a lot.

I had no idea that Eichorst was possibly going full Jerry Jones with our football program, so some of this makes more sense now.

My only fear after Frost was hired is where this program could trend in the future (post Scott Frost mind you), because there seems to be teeter totter effect in the administration.  Example: Petersen takes us down, Osborne takes us up, Pearlman/Eichorst takes us down, Green, and Moos takes us up.  

Hiring Matt as associate AD has made me feel much better about our future.  We CANNOT  have one, or two corporate administration employees making boneheaded decisions anymore.  We need to be united, on the same page.  We’re not Tennessee, we’re Nebraska; Nebraska fans know better.

When Solich was fired, a lot of fans wanted Bo; the administration didn’t listen, and hired Cahallan.  The fans wanted Bo, and Bo did better.  When Bo was fired, the fans wanted...  not Riley, and the administration didn’t listen.  When Riley was fired, the fans wanted Frost, and we can all agree that Frost will be better.

Power to Nebraska fans.  We’re second to none.

Edited by Truth in Ruin
9 minutes ago, Truth in Ruin said:

I had no idea that Eichorst was possibly going full Jerry Jones with our football program, so some of this makes more sense now.

My only fear after Frost was hired is where this program could trend in the future (post Scott Frost mind you), because there seems to be teeter totter effect in the administration.  Example: Petersen takes us down, Osborne takes us up, Pearlman/Eichorst, takes us down, Green, and Moos takes us up.  

Hiring Matt as associate AD has made me feel much better about our future.  We CANNOT  have one, or two corporate administration employees making boneheaded decisions anymore.  We need to be united, on the same page.  We’re not Tennessee, we’re Nebraska; Nebraska fans know better.

When Solich was fired, a lot of fans wanted Bo; the administration didn’t listen, and hired Cahallan.  The fans wanted Bo, and Bo did better.  When Bo was fired, the fans wanted...  not Riley, and the fans were right.  When Riley was fired, the fans wanted Frost, and we can all agree that Frost will be better.

Power to Nebraska fans.  We’re second to none.

My sarcasm meter may be on the fritz but, if it's not, then that's going a bit far in making a case for mob rule.  I think we could have done better with Gary Patterson, for example.  I felt NU should, as a blue blood program, be able to hire a HC with experience back then.  It also bothered me that we didn't even talk to Charlie Strong, who was a greater candidate (as an SEC DC) than Bo at that time.  The clamoring for one of ours hasn't always been a positive, in other words.

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

I believe Harvey didn't think Bo's rage fits were a good look for Nebraska. He read Eichorst's book and thought he was someone that gets it and no way would he let Bo stay on the energy bus. Instead of figuring out a way to work with Bo and channel his feistiness in a positive way he insulated himself from Bo which made Bo's behavior worse. Once he got rid of Bo he sought out a nice guy that wouldn't create waves and he could work with. Putting a coach's personality above ability was his mistake.  Eichorst coming from Wisconsin is probably coincidental. When called as a reference, Alvarez might have had doubts but why express them if he's going to your competition?

BTW, did anyone read Eichorst's book? It probably explains a lot.

You make some good points here.

I have read Jon Gordon's book "The Energy Bus" and have seen him speak in person when my company flew him in.  I don't think his message was anything earth shattering, just that positive thinking individuals tend to be more successful than negative folks and that you should aggressively root out negative from your life.  Gordon has a cool life story and really seemed to do a 180 on his life.

Edited by Xmas32
24 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

You make some good points here.

I have read Jon Gordon's book "The Energy Bus" and have seen him speak in person when my company flew him in.  I don't think his message was anything earth shattering, just that positive thinking individuals tend to be more successful than negative folks and that you should aggressively root out negative from your life.  Gordon has a cool life story and really seemed to do a 180 on his life.

My mistake I thought Eichost wrote a book. 

6 hours ago, Enhance said:

How can you say with absolute clarity that "no, he did not?" Or, that Riley is the only one to blame for the state of the program?

It's an asinine opinion to hold.

Lol. ok.

How can I say it with clarity?

practices did not change.

Philosophies did not change

Coming out of the bye, Depth Charts did not change.

He didn't make any offers to JUCO's or other players he wanted that Eichorst/Devaney denied after Eichorst was fired.

He didn't take over playcalling duties

He didn't make any adjustments to a terrible special teams punt return scheme.

Not everything is on Riley, a significant portion is not. However, those are just a few of the things he could have done.

Those decisions above are 100% on him to make in an effort to save the season and hia job. He made none of them. He simply kept the status quo and that he does not get a pass for.

Sean Eichorst's top choice to replace Bo Pelini at Nebraska was former Wisconsin coach Bret Bielma a year or so into his Arkansas tenure (from where he was fired walking off the field this year).  His backup plan, in case Bielma got the raise he wanted from Arkansas, was a career .500 lifer from Oregon State named Mike Riley.  He offered  the job to only Mike since Bielma got his raise.  Mike Riley accepted and the .500 coach was let go after 3 years and a 19-19 record by Eichorst's replacement Bill Moos.  Moos just hired hottest name in the country Scott Frost.

If that does not tell the story of Eichorst's tenure as Nebraska AD, I don't know what will.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Redux said:

Sean Eichorst's top choice to replace Bo Pelini at Nebraska was former Wisconsin coach Bret Bielma a year or so into his Arkansas tenure (from where he was fired walking off the field this year).  His backup plan, in case Bielma got the raise he wanted from Arkansas, was a career .500 lifer from Oregon State named Mike Riley.  He offered  the job to only Mike since Bielma got his raise.  Mike Riley accepted and the .500 coach was let go after 3 years and a 19-19 record by Eichorst's replacement Bill Moos.  Moos just hired hottest name in the country Scott Frost.

If that does not tell the story of Eichorst's tenure as Nebraska AD, I don't know what will.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:18 PM, Nebfanatic said:

The more information coming out about the disfuntion within our athletic department under Eichorst, the more clear it becomes how much his fingerprints are all over the demise of this program. The way he treated Bo Pelini and handled his firing was terrible. Hiring Riley out of nowhere will forever be one of the most dumbfounding hires in Nebraska history. Now all of the information coming out about him essentially trying to play head coach from his AD chair just tops it all off. Eichorst is no Barry Alvarez, but he sure tried to be. 

I say none of this to excuse Rileys part in his tenure, but it has to be tough doing your job the way you want to under those circumstances. Eichorst may not have tanked the program to help Wisconsin on purpose, but he sure did everything he could to leave his mark on this program, and that mark was more of a stain. 

I tried to forget 2017 season.

My first 2017 disaster hint was August 21st 2017 1:00CDT.  However 6 hours trip from Norman to Fairmont NE well worth it.

Anyway, I can't handle NO bowl ..... any bowl.

On 12/4/2017 at 4:01 PM, TheSker said:

I do not personally know Pelini, nor have I ever met him.  But when I see a broadstroke statement like this, I often wonder how much direct, firsthand experience is behind the boldness of stating it.

Because Bo Pelini lived in the public eye, performed on television, and left us with two candid recordings of behind-the-scenes Bo, the statement really isn't that bold. 

The behavior seems to have followed him to Youngstown State, so it's not just us. And in the slew of head coach openings the past three years, there's been zero clamor for the man with the 9 win magic.

Eichorst gave Bo an extension, a bigger recruiting budget, and a PR campaign to warm up Bo's image. It was Bo's job to lose in Season 7, and he did. 

Eichorst handled Bo's firing correctly.