Eichorst-really a Wisconsin plant?

The more information coming out about the disfuntion within our athletic department under Eichorst, the more clear it becomes how much his fingerprints are all over the demise of this program. The way he treated Bo Pelini and handled his firing was terrible. Hiring Riley out of nowhere will forever be one of the most dumbfounding hires in Nebraska history. Now all of the information coming out about him essentially trying to play head coach from his AD chair just tops it all off. Eichorst is no Barry Alvarez, but he sure tried to be. 

I say none of this to excuse Rileys part in his tenure, but it has to be tough doing your job the way you want to under those circumstances. Eichorst may not have tanked the program to help Wisconsin on purpose, but he sure did everything he could to leave his mark on this program, and that mark was more of a stain. 

• Plus1 2

Eichorst was a puppet brought in for Perlman's bidding. Don't blame the puppet for what the puppetmaster directs. Eichorst was brought in to get rid of Bo, which he did successfully, and replace him, which he tried his best at, but didn't do successfully. 

He's not a bad guy. He's just an introvert who has a leadership style that doesn't mesh well with our state and university, and made the wrong call with Riley. 

• Plus1 7

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Eichorst was a puppet brought in for Perlman's bidding. Don't blame the puppet for what the puppetmaster directs. Eichorst was brought in to get rid of Bo, which he did successfully, and replace him, which he tried his best at, but didn't do successfully. 

He's not a bad guy. He's just an introvert who has a leadership style that doesn't mesh well with our state and university, and made the wrong call with Riley. 

While he did that, it sounds like he compounded that mistake by telling Riley how to do his job rather than just letting him do it. Riley already had a slim chance of working out here and Eich made it worse. He probably thought he was helping but micromanagement on this level is tough to pull off when you are a bad communicator.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The more information coming out about the disfuntion within our athletic department under Eichorst, the more clear it becomes how much his fingerprints are all over the demise of this program. The way he treated Bo Pelini and handled his firing was terrible. Hiring Riley out of nowhere will forever be one of the most dumbfounding hires in Nebraska history. Now all of the information coming out about him essentially trying to play head coach from his AD chair just tops it all off. Eichorst is no Barry Alvarez, but he sure tried to be. 

I say none of this to excuse Rileys part in his tenure, but it has to be tough doing your job the way you want to under those circumstances. Eichorst may not have tanked the program to help Wisconsin on purpose, but he sure did everything he could to leave his mark on this program, and that mark was more of a stain. 

It sure would be nice to know.

I disagree with the decision to make Iowa our rival when our true rival is Wisconsin.

Mr Moos should do everything he can to make the Wisconsin game the focus of the regular season.

Maybe Pearly called Barry and said “Well it looks like they want me to hire another one to get rid of this mean guy because Tom won’t.”

”Yeah, I know a guy that wants outta Miami bad.....he got stuck in the middle of a buncha shoe business, all we gotta do is pay him top dollar to look like a legit hire......yeah, that’s the ticket. You hire him and I’ll have him send me all the practice film....Mean Bo will never know what hit him. Then we know this nice guy who always plays for the tie because he wants it to be fair. I’ll get my boys at ESPN to back him. Once he’s in the door we’ll turn over the Athletic Department to the English Department and make all the coaches read Chaucer.... everybody gets what they want!”

• Plus1 2

The way Bo treated people was horrible. 

Eichorst tried his best and conducted himself professionally and capably. I think he did good work for the AD, but his judgment in football coaches will always be questioned. I personally appreciate his focus on demeanor and class. If he really thought Diaco was the best coach on campus, well...I guess these are among the reasons why he got fired. At Nebraska, you have to win, too.

• Plus1 3

SE wanted to be involved with football like Barry. He tried to run it like a pro team where he was the owner, Devanney was the General Manager and Riley as coach.  Alverez has Wiscy doing very well on this model, but SE is no Barry Alverez.  

Edited by Melby
  • Plus1 1

Eichorst got off easy. He should have been forced to attend the last 5 games of the year and see the fruits of his labor that him and Harvey created.

I enjoyed reading in detail how the Frost and Moos meeting took place. Meanwhile Shawn and Harvey concocted some BS story about how they hired Riley (and no offense to Riley, but Nebraska doesn't hire this kind of guy) out of thin air to the point where none of it made sense. Then somehow the Wisconsin coach took the OSU job and then he quit. Gee what a coincidence.  Those two bozos are the one's that truly divided this state and made it toxic all the while hiding behind the curtain of secrecy. 

I will never excuse Bo's behavior, but I wish they could tranquilize him sometime and ask him how much fun it was working with Eichorst. 

• Plus1 1

I'm going to pull in what I said in a different post (where it didn't belong). 

I don't think he was a plant. I think he was a guy who thought he knew the right way. As such, I think he ended up putting a lot of handcuffs on a coach who MAY have been able to do some good work. 

For better or worse, I don't think we ever got to see what FHCMR was capable of. 

As I understand it he was forced:

To maybe not recruit JUCOs

To use Billy Davany (who could veto recruiting offers?)

To implement rugby style tackling

To hire Bob Diaco 

I might be missing some things. The long and short is, it sounds like FADSE micromanaged Riley. My impression is, this played out poorly rather than helping FHCMR. 

I think this is potentially an important asterisk to FHCMR's tenure. He is without a doubt a man of high character. I would hate it if FADSE cost him the opportunity for future jobs where he could be successful even if his time with us needed to be done. 

• Plus1 1