Eichorst-really a Wisconsin plant?

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I do not personally know Pelini, nor have I ever met him.  But when I see a broadstroke statement like this, I often wonder how much direct, firsthand experience is behind the boldness of stating it.

None it's all hearsay.  People just use it so they can "justify" they were right in thinking he should be fired.  Bo saw SE for what he was, said it out loud, and was blasted for it because Bo was so mean.  Almost made into a villan, for being absolutely correct.  It is almost comical.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, C N Red said:

Just in case people dont understand what the problem was since the early 2000's, who was hired at that time?? PERLMAN!!! Hes been the single biggest problem with our football program in all these years. The guy is a f'ing snake. 

Exactly!

Frost would never have come here with Harvey around...never!  He said as much yesterday!

• Plus1 1

It was pretty obvious, but Osborne and Perlman did not see eye to eye. I think Osborne has silently been pushing this whole thing since he lost his AD job. Get rid of Harvey, get a President, Chancellor, and AD that are football people and get the right coach in here.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Huskerzoo said:

I'm going to pull in what I said in a different post (where it didn't belong). 

I don't think he was a plant. I think he was a guy who thought he knew the right way. As such, I think he ended up putting a lot of handcuffs on a coach who MAY have been able to do some good work. 

For better or worse, I don't think we ever got to see what FHCMR was capable of. 

As I understand it he was forced:

To maybe not recruit JUCOs

To use Billy Davany (who could veto recruiting offers?)

To implement rugby style tackling

To hire Bob Diaco 

I might be missing some things. The long and short is, it sounds like FADSE micromanaged Riley. My impression is, this played out poorly rather than helping FHCMR. 

I think this is potentially an important asterisk to FHCMR's tenure. He is without a doubt a man of high character. I would hate it if FADSE cost him the opportunity for future jobs where he could be successful even if his time with us needed to be done. 

This may all be true but when Eichorst was fired did Riley change any of that? 

Did he make any significant change at all to try to change the trajectory of the season during the bye week when he was about to play two below average teams that could have shown the leadership to attempt a turnaround effort to save his job?

Did he take any personal involvement in gameday responsibilities for any of the phases of the game that were constantly failing?

Did he stand up and say enough is enough?  To his team, to the media to the fans or to either of the new AD's?

No he did not. That isn't on Eichorst or Perlman or Alverez or Diaco or the Boogeyman. It's on Riley.

Edited by Blackshirt316
4 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Did he make any significant change at all to try to change the trajectory of the season during the bye week when he was about to play two below average teams that could have shown the leadership to attempt a turnaround effort to save his job?

Did he take any personal involvement in gameday responsibilities for any of the phases of the game that were constantly failing?

Did he stand up and say enough is enough?  To his team, to the media to the fans or to either of the new AD's?

No he did not. That isn't on Eichorst or Perlman or Alverez or Diaco or the Boogeyman. It's on Riley.

Riley isn't absolved in his role in this, but to say it's all on Riley is niave. 

16 hours ago, zoogs said:

The way Bo treated people was horrible. 

Eichorst tried his best and conducted himself professionally and capably. I think he did good work for the AD, but his judgment in football coaches will always be questioned. I personally appreciate his focus on demeanor and class. If he really thought Diaco was the best coach on campus, well...I guess these are among the reasons why he got fired. At Nebraska, you have to win, too.

Bo was/is an a-hole

SE was/is an a-hole

Not yelling at people doesn't make you professional.  An a-hole is an a-hole, it doesn't matter if you wear a tie or a hoodie.

30 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Riley isn't absolved in his role in this, but to say it's all on Riley is niave. 

No one is saying it's all on Riley. However, the fact that things didn't change (and got markedly worse) when Eichorst was terminated suggests that Eichorst had been holding everything together since day one for Riley. If this is the case, then they both share blame in the failure (along with Harvey the Wonder Chancellor who hired Eichorst in the first place). 

• Plus1 1

My opinion.  Pearlman was the head of the snake.  He was primarily an academic who never understood the importance of football and while giving it lip service he only loved the BIG 10 for what it will mean on the academic side.  Again opinion on my part, I wonder if in his mind he wanted Nebraska to become more like a Stanford, Rice, Northwestern model where sports are in the background.  He tended to circumvent the Board of Regents and did so hiring SE.  I'm not 100% certain there wasn't a plan in place and that SE wasn't here to implement the dirty work.  Riley was the perfect hire for SE and Pearlman.  Near retirement age and with a personality that wouldn't stir the waters.  I think he was given a rosy picture and the rules changed after he was hired.  With Green and Bounds now in charge and Moos in place the rats nest is getting cleaned out.  Frost knows he has the full backing of the University and most of the BoR as well as a strong AD.  The future is looking brighter than it has for 15 years.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Blackshirt316 said:

How can you say with absolute clarity that "no, he did not?" Or, that Riley is the only one to blame for the state of the program?

It's an asinine opinion to hold.

I think we're going to look back in 15 years at the ADSE/HCMR era and wonder aloud, "Man, what the heck was this all about?!?"  Eichorst is such a conundrum for me because on one hand he did some really good things on a macro level for NU.  Eichorst was a big driver on this latest set of NCAA recruiting rules which really benefited Nebraska and from all accounts he really worked hard at improving the student-athlete experience.  However, his desire to insulate himself from his coaches with layers of staff and protocols is a really crappy way to run a business.  I think Eichorst could be a really good associate AD for someone as he's shown an ability to think outside the box on things.  If I were looking to hire an AD for a P5 school, it would be difficult to convince myself to hire Eichorst, I just don't think he's cut out to be a leader on the big stage.