Playoffs robbed BIG West

13 hours ago, Landlord said:

Maybe that game does, but then USC/Notre Dame wouldn't have really mattered much, Stanford/Notre Dame wouldn't have been too important, so on.

With every major conference having a title game one of them is always going to be pointless under the current format.  Imagine if Notre Dame had a solid year, you run the risk of 1 conference guaranteed getting screwed out every year, possibly 2 or 3 if you add a 1 loss ND team to the equation

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

Unless there is a stipulation that 5 of the spots are guaranteed to conference champions, there will be zero incentive to schedule marquee OOC opponents.

If Ohio State wouldn't have scheduled Oklahoma this year, they'd be in the playoff. Similarly, if 2016 Penn State wouldn't have scheduled Pitt (I realize Pitt isn't a HUGE matchup, but they were still a solidly good P5 team), they would have been in the playoff. 

You'd have to include this.  Pretty much the basis for my argument, what's the point of having 5 "equal" conferences when only having 4 playoff spots guarantees at least one conference is going to be the odd man out.  Either make the conference champions more valuable or get rid of conferences all together (obviously not ideal option)

11 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

If anyone caught Joel Klatt today I liked his theory for an 8 team playoff (which for the record isn't happening anytime soon).  

To summarize from his twitter:

Thoughts on CFB structure 1) Get rid of divisions in every conference 2) Top 2 seeds from each conference play in Conf. Champ game 3) To go to the @CFBPlayoff you HAVE to win your conference - we balance schedules, retain regular season importance

I'm not too bummed out as there really wasn't a great choice for #4 and a nearly full strength Alabama team probably has the best shot to win the title out of tOSU, Bama and Wisconsin.  Wisconsin would've gotten brutalized against Clemson and frankly if JT Barrett played even an above average game Ohio State should've won that game by 17.

I do agree that the ACC and SEC need to start playing 9 conference games.  That is a total joke.  As for the Mercer thing, it's a bad look but none of the other teams really played anyone that week either.  OU played Kansas and Ohio State played Illinois.  Still, P5 teams shouldn't be playing FCS teams.  I'd also like to see Alabama play a big time OOC opponent somewhere other than a location within the SEC footprint but that's just me nitpicking.

As much as alabama does not deserve to be in the playoffs, it is confounded by the fact that they get an extra week off, to rest and heal, which improves their chance of winning.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:46 PM, Coach Power'T said:

Leave it at 4 but dissolve the big12 and send schools each way. At this point I don't really care who ends up with who. If West Va can be a Big12 school then it doesn't matter if Kansas were to go to the ACC. You'd probably have to reshuffle some schools already in conferences to make it work realistically. Have Maryland and Rutgers go to the ACC. 

You'd have to move

Kansas

Kansas St

Oklahoma

Oklahoma St

Texas

Texas Tech

Baylor

TCU

Iowa State

West Virginia

I really wish that NU's schedule was this on a yearly basis

Week1 - Group of 5

Week2 - Colorado

Week3 - Group of 5

Week4 - Kansas State

Week5 - Iowa

Week6 - Wisconsin

Week7 - Minnesota

Week8 - Missouri

Week9 - Michigan or Michigan State

Week10 - Texas

Week11 - Northwestern

Week12 - Oklahoma

I don't give two $#its about Ohio State or Penn State. I miss seeing that Red N line up across from those iconic Big12 helmets. Mizzou, CU, KState, Texas and Oklahoma. 

From what I'm hearing (apply salt, media contacts) is the Big XII is toast come 2025 and that the BIG maybe adds KU with OU as an outside possibility. If not them ISU is another but more unlikely possibility. They would like one new team for each division.

But out side of Texas, OU, and the other Texas schools everyone else in the Big XII is mountain west or AAC bound. Baylor might be have a hard time finding a chair in all of this.

Maybe WVU gets into ACC.

So we might get that Oklahoma game back.

After what the committee did last year, they had no choice but to put Bama into the playoff.  When they put Ohio State into the playoff last year, they boxed themselves into a corner.  Essentially, the playoff committee has disqualified all two loss teams from the playoff.  This left them with really only two choices:  Bama and Wisconsin.    Bama had a tougher strength of schedule. 

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

Bama and Wisconsin.    Bama had a tougher strength of schedule. 

I too "think" Bama is one of top 4 best teams, but by what objective measure is the quoted true? I'm sure there are old BCS metrics as proof. I guess to me, arguing between 7-5 and 5-7 provides little in determining who played a tougher scheduled (especially when considering half the B1G teams automatically have a guaranteed extra loss due to the 9th conference game). Wisconsin lost to a high ranked team than Bama, and played 13 FBS games compared to Bama's 11. Subjectively, Bama is easily in the playoff. Objectively, (and including teams such as OSU & USC) I'm not so sure.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, hskrpwr13 said:

I too "think" Bama is one of top 4 best teams, but by what objective measure is the quoted true? I'm sure there are old BCS metrics as proof. I guess to me, arguing between 7-5 and 5-7 provides little in determining who played a tougher scheduled (especially when considering half the B1G teams automatically have a guaranteed extra loss due to the 9th conference game). Wisconsin lost to a high ranked team than Bama, and played 13 FBS games compared to Bama's 11. Subjectively, Bama is easily in the playoff. Objectively, (and including teams such as OSU & USC) I'm not so sure.

The bolded was taken care of last year when the committee put Ohio State in the playoff over B1G Champion Penn State.  Ohio State and USC had no chance this year because they had two losses.  Thus far into the playoff era, there's only one thing that is or has been a certainty:  lose twice and you don't get in.  What really would have been interesting is who got in had Auburn won the SEC?

On 12/7/2017 at 0:24 PM, husker98 said:

From what I'm hearing (apply salt, media contacts) is the Big XII is toast come 2025 and that the BIG maybe adds KU with OU as an outside possibility. If not them ISU is another but more unlikely possibility. They would like one new team for each division.

But out side of Texas, OU, and the other Texas schools everyone else in the Big XII is mountain west or AAC bound. Baylor might be have a hard time finding a chair in all of this.

Maybe WVU gets into ACC.

So we might get that Oklahoma game back.

Add an extra sprinkle of salt with that rumor.   Oklahoma won't ever be able to qualify academically for the Big 10.  Kansas and Texas would.  It's much more likely that a school like Syracuse or virginia would flip than the Big 10 allowing Oklahoma in. 

18 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Add an extra sprinkle of salt with that rumor.   Oklahoma won't ever be able to qualify academically for the Big 10.  Kansas and Texas would.  It's much more likely that a school like Syracuse or virginia would flip than the Big 10 allowing Oklahoma in. 

Yup salt as always.

Texas to BIG possibilities need to stop being circulated however. What I am hearing is the BIG has no interest in those goods.

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

The bolded was taken care of last year when the committee put Ohio State in the playoff over B1G Champion Penn State.  Ohio State and USC had no chance this year because they had two losses.  Thus far into the playoff era, there's only one thing that is or has been a certainty:  lose twice and you don't get in.  What really would have been interesting is who got in had Auburn won the SEC?

The same exact teams, except it would be auburn instead of georgia?  

22 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The same exact teams, except it would be auburn instead of georgia?  

We'll never know, but I'd guess the committee would have had to change their position on two loss teams and it would have come down to Ohio State, Auburn, and USC to occupy the remaining two spots.  Considering how they're ranked, Ohio State and Auburn would have been in while USC was left out.