Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

24 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Riley was in on top-flight recruits, he just couldn't close enough. But he was going after the right kind of guys.  Fit is very important, but the "role player who works hard" cliche is way overblown. Sure those guys are valuable, but if Nebraska is really trying to compete for national titles they're going to have to bring in elite recruits. They're going to have to do better than Wisconsin, because Wisconsin wasn't winning a national title this year. 

Recruiting will have to improve. It's a must. If Nebraska keeps recruiting in the 25-35 range we're not going to get where Frost says he wants to take us.

Riley was in on all DB and WR's. That is not solely the right type of guys. 

I am of course not saying talent is not important, clearly it is. I am stating that you cannot simply look at numbers and class rankings. That doesn't tell the whole story.

I agree we need to be top 20ish and have a healthy amount of 4-5* guys but to write off low 3 star guys simply because the rankings don't like them is folly.

Easy one comes to mind, Ameer Abdullah. Mid 3 star that services were rating on defense. He was a FIT at running back but no one else was gonna let him play there. That is what I am talking about in addition to the 4/5*. If guys like that bring the class ranking down to 22 that is better than a 15th ranked class full of skill players which is what Riley was headed for.

Nebraska NEVER had top 10 classes consistently. They out worked, out coached, out prepared and out schemed everyone else. The ability to do those things is what excites me with Frost. If he eventually is able to land top 10 classes then that is super, but you all who simply demand that better prep for disappointment. 

Edited by runningblind
  • Plus1 1

So now he is a failure because in less than two weeks he has not pulled recruits away from Ohio State that he has never had contact with?????? I want kids that are willing to work their butts off, no matter how many stars they have. Ask Texas all those years how important getting 4 and 5 star players are. You want the most athletic players, but not if they are not the hardest workers. The "experts" miss on kids all the time. If Alabama would get a 3 star player from Nebraska he would instantly turn into a 4 star. If we got a 5 star player from Alabama he would drop to a 4 star. I have watched this for years, where kids gain or loose a star for switching schools.I want FAST, football smart kids that will work as hard as they have to, to win.

13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I am of course not saying talent is not important, clearly it is. I am stating that you cannot simply look at numbers and class rankings. That doesn't tell the whole story.

I agree we need to be top 20ish and have a healthy amount of 4-5* guys but to write off low 3 star guys simply because the rankings don't like them is folly.

Easy one comes to mind, Ameer Abdullah. Mid 3 star that services were rating on defense. He was a FIT at running back but no one else was gonna let him play there. That is what I am talking about in addition to the 4/5*. If guys like that bring the class ranking down to 22 that is better than a 15th ranked class full of skill players which is what Riley was headed for.

Nebraska NEVER had top 10 classes consistently. They out worked, out coached, out prepared and out schemed everyone else. The ability to do those things is what excites me with Frost. If he eventually is able to land top 10 classes then that is super, but you all who simply demand that better prep for disappointment. 

Never said I demanded top 10 classes, I actually don't think Nebraska will ever get to that point. But, I expect Frost to go after top-level talent, and fill in with your plan B's, when those guys don't work out.

30 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Riley was in on top-flight recruits, he just couldn't close enough. But he was going after the right kind of guys.  Fit is very important, but the "role player who works hard" cliche is way overblown. Sure those guys are valuable, but if Nebraska is really trying to compete for national titles they're going to have to bring in elite recruits. They're going to have to do better than Wisconsin, because Wisconsin wasn't winning a national title this year. 

Recruiting will have to improve. It's a must. If Nebraska keeps recruiting in the 25-35 range we're not going to get where Frost says he wants to take us.

Considering this this is the bulk of Wisconsin's team. And that they were a decent QB away from winning the BIG. 

I'll take those guys over a consensus 4 star who shows up over weight and never sees the field because he gets caught with weed.

Talent and those sexy stars are great sure. But we had that with Callahan and that ended in disaster. 

So let's get back to who we used to be. The bolded part you said.

Wisconsin has proven it works in the modern era. They have more BIG titles than we do using a program that is a clone of what we used to be.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Considering this this is the bulk of Wisconsin's team. And that they were a decent QB away from winning the BIG. 

I'll take those guys over a consensus 4 star who shows up over weight and never sees the field because he gets caught with weed.

Talent and those sexy stars are great sure. But we had that with Callahan and that ended in disaster. 

So let's get back to who we used to be. The bolded part you said.

Wisconsin has proven it works in the modern era. They have more BIG titles than we do using a program that is a clone of what we used to be.

You think Nebraska used to be Wisconsin? You need to go watch some old Nebraska film, because those teams had athletes at the skill positions that Wisconsin would kill for. Wisconsin may have been a QB away from a B1G title, but they're a lot further than that away from a national title.... Which is what Frost said he came here to win. You guys who think recruiting elite talent doesn't matter are delusional. All you have to do is look at the recruiting rankings every year, open up another tab, and look who is making the Playoff, and winning national titles every year.... Nothing wrong with some 3-star guys on the team that bust their ass, but you better supplement some big time talent in there if you want to get "all the way back".

Edit: And none of what I'm saying is an indictment on Frost, and what he's done thus far. I think he has a plan, and I trust it's going to work.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Never said I demanded top 10 classes, I actually don't think Nebraska will ever get to that point. But, I expect Frost to go after top-level talent, and fill in with your plan B's, when those guys don't work out.

I think we are on the same page, I just don't put as much stock in ranking numbers as you. It depends on how you use talent, and the schools in the playoff have very good coaching as well. 

If it were solely based on numbers where are Tennessee, Michigan, Texas, Florida, etc in the playoff?

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Huge misconeption. Riley signed 4 lineman in 2017, 1 of them being 4 star. Signed 2 4 star lineman the year before i believe. We also got some great D lineman and LB prospects under Riley. One position we seemed to have missed on is RB, especially if Tre is chronically injured.

Edited by Nebfanatic

Some of you guys need to relax. He’s been here about a week and he hit the ground running in pretty amazing fashion.

He has the #1 offense in the country, a ridiculously improved defense, and was just awarded Coach of the Year. He and his staff are coaching the hell out of those kids, they love him, and they look like they’re having a hell of a lot of fun.

We’re finally in good hands...for the first time since Osborne retired. These guys know what they’re doing. Relax, sit back, and enjoy the ride.

• Plus1 2

I think Scott is trying to fill out the class with speed. I don't have a problem with anyone he brings in this cycle, but next cycle we need to go after better prospects, especially in the trenches. I will be less worried about the star power of our skill guys because I trust Frost to target speed. We need to sign high caliber prospects in the trenches, on D and at QB the most. 

18 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Wisconsin may have been a QB away from a B1G title, but they're a lot further than that away from a national title.... Which is what Frost said he came here to win.

When did Frost say that is what he came here to do? I dont remember him talking about championships at all during his press conference. Mostly said it will be fun. We will build Nebraska into what it is suppose to be and we will lose some games along the way. Maybe he did say he came here to win NC but I just dont remember. 

I think we also shouldn't undervalue 1) Riley's perception and 2) his team's overall performances, in regards to recruiting.

If I'm an outsider evaluating Nebraska's previous regime, I don't see excitement or buzz. I see a guy who is a perennial .500 coach at a school in the flyover area who has yet to really prove to me that he can take me to the next level at Nebraska. Flip that to now where you have one of the biggest up and comers in the country that kids relate to and remember the skill of the teams this guy coached on. They remember the early 2010 Oregons. They just saw his team go undefeated and win a championship game playing a fun, upbeat offense.

It's not going to win us every recruiting battle or get us top flight recruits all the time, but, it definitely helps the cause.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

When did Frost say that is what he came here to do? I dont remember him talking about championships at all during his press conference. Mostly said it will be fun. We will build Nebraska into what it is suppose to be and we will lose some games along the way. Maybe he did say he came here to win NC but I just dont remember. 

He referenced the ceiling at UCF being reached in his interview with Jim Rome. If he just wanted to win conference championships he could of stayed there. It seems like it's been alluded by himself, or those around him more than once. I'm not going to go digging for quotes though:lol:

• Plus1 1

Rankings are fun, I want to be ranked high. 

But, they aren’t everything and I hope all of us know that. Lots of those rankings are based on measurable things and speed isn’t valued as much as one might think.

Frost wants Speed and strength.

Some of these posts are idiotic.

Stop demanding 5 stars in week 1.

• Plus1 3