Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

My point is that there are no offers.   We can't get them if we don't even try.  The numbers are basically the same as Riley, Pelini, Solich.   I understand he's just getting started this class but why so many 3 stars and not more 4s and 5s.   ?    If we are going to up grade the talent, we need to recruit better, not more of the same

If most of these guys are UCF offers - re-routed to Linoln - are now we recruiting at the UCF level instead of the top ten / elite target level?

Again, your expectation is ridiculous. This is a salvage operation. Other teams have over a year head start. They're offering the kids they know - the kids they have a chance on. This isn't what they're going to be doing in a normal recruiting cycle. It would be a huge waste of time for them to go after 5 stars this year, with 10 days left 'til the first signing period and 3 months 'til the final signing period. They need to use their time on players they have a much higher chance of landing. The kids they've already done legwork on, which happen to be mostly 3 star recruits.

They can start going after more 4 and 5 stars for the 2019 recruiting class and beyond.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Rankings are fun, I want to be ranked high. 

But, they aren’t everything and I hope all of us know that. Lots of those rankings are based on measurable things and speed isn’t valued as much as one might think.

Frost wants Speed and strength.

Some of these posts are idiotic.

Stop demanding 5 stars in week 1.

Who, aside from HuskerLaw, has been doing that?

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If he fails to reel in about 5 true difference makes (i.e. elite players away from the Bamas, Buckeyes, etc) in THIS CLASS, he probably never will.

LOL

a) you're right - he probably never will. Nebraska needs a coach that can do more with less.

b) there's no way in hell we're stealing 5 4-star and 5-star players away from the likes of Alabama and Ohio State with 10 days/3 months left. You're living in an alternate reality where God's favorite team is Nebraska and he performs miracles on a daily basis just for His team.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 5

1 hour ago, commando said:

what were the star ranking of spielman and stille?  those 2 seem to be doing very well but i have no idea what their star rankings were.   

Everybody in the lynch mob wanted Riley strung up and got their way.  They insisted on Frost.   Now I read how great his recruiting is already but I am just asking where is the meat?    What's new?    I am not criticzing Frost.  I am asking direct questions of all the Frost backers to show me the 'new and improved' is all!

I admit I have not bothered to look at the current state of the recruiting class as I figured it was too soon to make any kind of fair assessment   But everybody was raving about how great things are going and I am wondering what all the excitement is actually about.   i also admit that I have been uncomfortable with the Frost fanfare and while I want more than anybody for Scott and Company to succeed and Make Nebraska Great Again, I also recall feeling that same way with Solich, Callahan, Pelini and Riley (not so much in fairness in the beginning).

Spiehlman (don't know the star rating but he was Minnesota high school player of the year) so he was and is a qulity, elite caliber player.   We need to recruit the best players from all the area (great plains, midwest, etc) states.   We used to pick those up quite often.    

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You think Nebraska used to be Wisconsin? You need to go watch some old Nebraska film, because those teams had athletes at the skill positions that Wisconsin would kill for. Wisconsin may have been a QB away from a B1G title, but they're a lot further than that away from a national title.... Which is what Frost said he came here to win. You guys who think recruiting elite talent doesn't matter are delusional. All you have to do is look at the recruiting rankings every year, open up another tab, and look who is making the Playoff, and winning national titles every year.... Nothing wrong with some 3-star guys on the team that bust their ass, but you better supplement some big time talent in there if you want to get "all the way back".

Edit: And none of what I'm saying is an indictment on Frost, and what he's done thus far. I think he has a plan, and I trust it's going to work.

considering that our national title teams where rated no higher than 15th (i think can't remember exactly) in recruiting rankings and had as many as 5 walk ons' playing for one of those teams you might want to reconsider who is  being delusional and needs to watch the tape, don't forget we were also one of the few teams weight lifting at that time.

Wisconsin is our cheap Chinese knock off cousin, a program built on the back of blue collar kids with the skill positions and some other spots mostly being out of state and region kids for speed/athletic skill not available in region. 

I want better than what wiskey are doing as well and i agree we are going to need to get some of the better/elite talent to get back to where we want to be. 

But lets not kid our selves either. Thats not who we are. 5 stars weren't lining up to come here in the mid 90's at the height of our dynasty and they sure as hell aren't today, or tomorrow for that fact.

We are a player development program. We take kids with talent, but who need to hit the weights and gain some pounds and be coached up. And after 4-5 years they left all Americans and champions.

We turned our back on what made us great (thanks perlman) and here we are, with plenty of 4 stars and not a trophy to our name of any significance.

I don't know that scott will get us back to that but his press conference game me the impression we will and the recruits we are aiming at give me that vibe. So that's just my two cents.

5 minutes ago, husker98 said:

considering that our national title teams where rated no higher than 15th (i think can't remember exactly) in recruiting rankings and had as many as 5 walk ons' playing for one of those teams you might want to reconsider who is  being delusional and needs to watch the tape, don't forget we were also one of the few teams weight lifting at that time.

Wisconsin is our cheap Chinese knock off cousin, a program built on the back of blue collar kids with the skill positions and some other spots mostly being out of state and region kids for speed/athletic skill not available in region. 

I want better than what wiskey are doing as well and i agree we are going to need to get some of the better/elite talent to get back to where we want to be. 

But lets not kid our selves either. Thats not who we are. 5 stars weren't lining up to come here in the mid 90's at the height of our dynasty and they sure as hell aren't today, or tomorrow for that fact.

We are a player development program. We take kids with talent, but who need to hit the weights and gain some pounds and be coached up. And after 4-5 years they left all Americans and champions.

We turned our back on what made us great (thanks perlman) and here we are, with plenty of 4 stars and not a trophy to our name of any significance.

I don't know that scott will get us back to that but his press conference game me the impression we will and the recruits we are aiming at give me that vibe. So that's just my two cents.

I couldn't agree more, and said the same things in my replies to BB earlier in this thread. 

Keep up the good work. :thumbs

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Their strategy and execution have been very impressive, although I'm not sure how impressed I am by some of the prospects they are after (based on their star ratings). I'd expect that to change for the 2019 class when Frost and his staff have more time to work on those top-flight guys. I don't know what Scott's plan is, but  I'd keep this class on the small side since it's a "rushed" class. Save those schollies for 2019.

With Frost, although high ratings for recruits is nice, I don't think it matters to him. Mariota was a 3 star QB, and Milton was a 3 star. Frost is one of the coaches that can actually coach up players.

• Plus1 1

The recruiting rankings do matter. I love how when Riley was here there was moaning we didn't recruit well enough to compete for titles. Now that Frost is here none of that matters? B.S. Frost may be able to develop players at a higher level, but don't kid yourself. The only way we will be winning this conference multiple times in a decade is if we are consistently pulling top 15-18 recruiting classes. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

The recruiting rankings do matter. I love how when Riley was here there was moaning we didn't recruit well enough to compete for titles. Now that Frost is here none of that matters? B.S. Frost may be able to develop players at a higher level, but don't kid yourself. The only way we will be winning this conference multiple times in a decade is if we are consistently pulling top 15-18 recruiting classes. 

Give it time, I am sure this class finishes in the top 25 and that won't be bad considering the circumstances of this season and all. I see Frost recruiting consistently in the top 25 at Nebraska, and with Frost's proven track record of developing players and being surrounded by talented assistant coaches that will be good enough to bring Nebraska back to competitiveness and playing meaningful football in November.

Unlike previous coaches at Nebraska, Frost actually has a proven track record of winning, and winning a lot with lower rated recruits.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BoNeyard said:

Give it time, I am sure this class finishes in the top 25 and that won't be bad considering the circumstances of this season and all. I see Frost recruiting consistently in the top 25 at Nebraska, and with Frost's proven track record of developing players and being surrounded by talented assistant coaches that will be good enough to bring Nebraska back to competitiveness and playing meaningful football in November.

Unlike previous coaches at Nebraska, Frost actually has a proven track record of winning, and winning a lot with lower rated recruits.

I in no way expect a top class this year, but going forward, the recruiting rankings do matter. I said earlier, whoever Frost lands in this class is ok with me, but as we move forward we will need to aim higher than the 20-25 range. 2 of those classes and 2 top 15 classes over a 4 year cycle would be good. Frost may have had lesser talent but he still had more talent than the majority of his conference. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

LOL

a) you're right - he probably never will. Nebraska needs a coach that can do more with less.

b) there's no way in hell we're stealing 5 4-star and 5-star players away from the likes of Alabama and Ohio State with 10 days/3 months left. You're living in an alternate reality where God's favorite team is Nebraska and he performs miracles on a daily basis just for His team.

I sure wish it was possible to have all quotes from an individual hidden when they are blocked...even those that get quoted by someone else.  It would do wonders for my blood pressure.  :-)   I agree Moraine....less than ten days in, with 10 more days till early signing...our chances of snatching away some 4 and 5 stars from Bama/ tOSU, etc, is almost nil......this year anyway.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Sounds like Parsons is now off the table, at least that's what I saw late this last week. I believe he said it was too late in his process for Nebraska to get back into the fold.

"The new Nebraska coaching staff came by to see me," said Parsons. "Once I had heard the old coaches had been let go, I was no longer interested in Nebraska. They're still one of my top schools but it's too late to be able to build relationships with a new staff. There just isn't enough time.

https://n.rivals.com/news/two-final-official-visits-for-5-star-micah-parsons-before-dec-20-decision