Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

This staff has obviously been doing their work and I’m impressed with the commits they have received. 

At at this point, however, it’s a matter of having to trust the staff on evaluations. I’m excited to trust them. 

Some (key word “some”) of these recruits are are not highly rated nor do they have offers from top programs. 

I trust the the staff that these are good players that fit their systems. 

I hope they are right. 

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This staff has obviously been doing their work and I’m impressed with the commits they have received. 

At at this point, however, it’s a matter of having to trust the staff on evaluations. I’m excited to trust them. 

Some (key word “some”) of these recruits are are not highly rated nor do they have offers from top programs. 

I trust the the staff that these are good players that fit their systems. 

I hope they are right. 

I don't follow recruiting very much, but isn't it pretty normal under circumstances like this? I remember hearing that Harbaugh's first class was horrible, he didn't have much time to piece it together. I think Frost is aiming as high as they can. We aren't going to flip many 4-5* at this point.

15 minutes ago, Sparker said:

I don't follow recruiting very much, but isn't it pretty normal under circumstances like this? I remember hearing that Harbaugh's first class was horrible, he didn't have much time to piece it together. I think Frost is aiming as high as they can. We aren't going to flip many 4-5* at this point.

It looks like Harbaugh's first class may have been ranked around the 50's (might also help explain why they're 8-4 and don't seem to have a QB).

Regardless, and to no surprise, I think there are a lot of inherent difficulties when you take over in December and have two weeks to meet the early signing period and a little over two months to sign a class. It's only fair to give some leeway in regards to the final result.

I don't follow recruiting that closely either, but, I do know Nebraska has often made a lot of hay with guys who may not be getting offers from the elite of the elite schools. But, there are plenty of guys on the offers list that are up there. I'll reserve my judgement for February.

18 minutes ago, Sparker said:

I remember hearing that Harbaugh's first class was horrible, he didn't have much time to piece it together.

50th in 2015
4th in 2016

4th in 2017

Mike Riley's 1st class was ranked 31st. But he had the benefit of not having a bunch of the previous coach's players dropping off during the season due to a crappy season.

This is also a different situation because of the early signing period. I think that puts us further behind. We have some players who want to sign in December who won't even listen to new teams at this point.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

50th in 2015
4th in 2016

4th in 2017

Mike Riley's 1st class was ranked 31st. But he had the benefit of not having a bunch of the previous coach's players dropping off during the season due to a crappy season.

This is also a different situation because of the early signing period. I think that puts us further behind. We have some players who want to sign in December who won't even listen to new teams at this point.

There are a few problems with your post.  First off, Harbuagh didn't get named coach until the end of December.  Second he wasn't coming from another college job where he had already been out recruiting and building relationships, he was coming from the nfl with zero knowledge about that years high school prospects.

Second you imply we had a bunch of players decommit due to a bad season.  I think you'll find it had little to do with our record and a lot more to do with the rumors the guy recruiting them wasn't going to be here.  If it was simply about record then SF should be pulling guys in right and left correct? 

The one thing SF has going for him Harbaugh didn't, is that he and his staff have been on the recruiting trail since last year's class was finalized, they know the prospects out there, and should have a lot of good relationships built up with high school coaches and players.  I expect we'll see a strong finish before it's over.   That said, not sure there's good evidence one way or the other of how good his staff is at recruiting and we still may not know when this class is done.

5 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

There are a few problems with your post.  First off, Harbuagh didn't get named coach until the end of December.  Second he wasn't coming from another college job where he had already been out recruiting and building relationships, he was coming from the nfl with zero knowledge about that years high school prospects.

Second you imply we had a bunch of players decommit due to a bad season.  I think you'll find it had little to do with our record and a lot more to do with the rumors the guy recruiting them wasn't going to be here.  If it was simply about record then SF should be pulling guys in right and left correct? 

The one thing SF has going for him Harbaugh didn't, is that he and his staff have been on the recruiting trail since last year's class was finalized, they know the prospects out there, and should have a lot of good relationships built up with high school coaches and players.  I expect we'll see a strong finish before it's over.   That said, not sure there's good evidence one way or the other of how good his staff is at recruiting and we still may not know when this class is done.

There aren't any problems with my post, seeing as I wasn't claiming it was a direct comparison to Michigan. I didn't even talk about Harbaugh. I just gave his class rankings in response to someone else's post.

I said (didn't imply) we lost recruits due to a crappy season. Your reply doesn't refute that. There were rumors of Riley's firing because of the crappy season.

• Plus1 1