Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I never said he deserved all of the blame, I'm just saying we have been number 1 in the west every year since we joined the league so if he wasn't able to do so, which would literally mean just filling up the class with decent 3 star guys, then that is a bit of a disappointment. He really doesn't have to do much, just perform at the same level as his predecessors. Is that really asking too much? 

I never said you said he would deserve all the blame...?

If he doesn't finish #1 in the west and you want to be disappointed in him (to whatever level of dissatisfaction you choose) that would of course be your prerogative, but I would caution against doing so in a vacuum. I'm willing to give some wiggle room considering he seems to be busting his ass off to shape this class together and uphold his commitment to his previous team. 

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I never said you said he would deserve all the blame...?

If he doesn't finish #1 in the west and you want to be disappointed in him (to whatever level of dissatisfaction you choose) that would of course be your prerogative, but I would caution against doing so in a vacuum. I'm willing to give some wiggle room considering he seems to be busting his ass off to shape this class together and uphold his commitment to his previous team. 

Whatever dude. I would honestly be super suprised if he didn't pull it off. He would basically have to stop recruiting at this point. Again, filling the class to 20 or 22 commits almost guarantees us the best class in our division. So yes, I would be disappointed if we only signed 17 recruits because thats the only way we don't win our division. Anyone who would be fine with that should see how they reacted to Riley undersigning a year ago.  If by some miracle we sign a full class and don't win the west in recruiting,  I will give Frost a break. I just don't see that happening with the caliber of recruits we already have on board. 

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Anyone putting this kind of effort into this can't be considered a disappointment. 

Yall act like he's doing something our past coaches haven't. Thats what gets me. I understand the excitement around Frost and he has been doing pretty good thus far recruiting, but lets not act like no matter what he does it should be considered a success. That is dumb to me. Lets look at what he is doing objectively, which is nothing more than Pelini or Riley has done to this point. I say this not to hate on Frost but i just don't get celebrating everything he does if its not up to par to what we have been used to. People act like I'm expecting Frost to make some huge impact on recruiting when all I'm really expecting is to not do worse than Pelini or Riley. 

I realize not everyone goes into the Recruiting Forum but the Huskers put on quite an event for in-state kids this evening.  A bunch of walk-on offers went out and a few accepted already.  Here's a link to the thread.  By the way, by Sean Callahan's calculations, Frost has spent over 20 hours in a plane the last three days.  All while conducting two practices and making multiple in-home visits.

• Plus1 5

“I feel like I have been committed to Nebraska for 13 years,” Shefke said. “I signed the dotted line to become a player at Nebraska when I was 5 years old after going to my first game. It truly is a dream come true.”

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/football/recruiting-collin-shefke-and-wyatt-liewer-accept-preferred-walk-on/article_ffbd748e-e089-11e7-b2ed-2f70b18d86bc.html

• Plus1 6
9 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yall act like he's doing something our past coaches haven't. Thats what gets me. I understand the excitement around Frost and he has been doing pretty good thus far recruiting, but lets not act like no matter what he does it should be considered a success. That is dumb to me. Lets look at what he is doing objectively, which is nothing more than Pelini or Riley has done to this point. I say this not to hate on Frost but i just don't get celebrating everything he does if its not up to par to what we have been used to. People act like I'm expecting Frost to make some huge impact on recruiting when all I'm really expecting is to not do worse than Pelini or Riley. 

I don't think you're accurately interpreting the backlash to your comments.

Not everything Frost touches turns to gold and he is fallible. I simply believe it's a good idea to take a step back, pump the brakes a little bit and see how things shake out. Using language like he deserves 'some blame' for failing to immediately meet a specific standard of his recent predecessors seems unfair. As you well know, both of those men were fired despite meeting the goal you believe Frost should also achieve.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well, no past coach has faced the early signing date let along being hired only a few weeks before that date with a recruiting class that was falling apart. Plus those coaches weren't coming off a 4-8 season. The 2008 class was coming off 5-7 and ended up ranked 25th, but that was because they filled it with 32 players, which isn't possible for Frost. Basically, I'm saying each situation is unique, so let's see how it plays out before making judgments.

• Plus1 4

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

I realize not everyone goes into the Recruiting Forum but the Huskers put on quite an event for in-state kids this evening.  A bunch of walk-on offers went out and a few accepted already.  Here's a link to the thread.  By the way, by Sean Callahan's calculations, Frost has spent over 20 hours in a plane the last three days.  All while conducting two practices and making multiple in-home visits.

Great idea, I hope they do a few of these around the state for the kids who can't get to Lincoln with short notice on a Wednesday night.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Well, no past coach has faced the early signing date let along being hired only a few weeks before that date with a recruiting class that was falling apart. Plus those coaches weren't coming off a 4-8 season. The 2008 class was coming off 5-7 and ended up ranked 25th, but that was because they filled it with 32 players, which isn't possible for Frost. Basically, I'm saying each situation is unique, so let's see how it plays out before making judgments.

I just put in 10 guys in the class calculator that we are either really in on or if i wasnt sure went for lower end targets and removed Cam Brown and we were sitting at 215 points. Minnesota is at 205 with 26 commits and they are far and away the #1 class in our division. Again, I dont think I'm being unrealistic. If he can't pull it out but still gets our schollies filled then it is what it is but the chances are if he fills the schollies we get the #1 class in our division. I really don't get the pushback, this isn't going to be terribly difficult for Frost and if he can't do it I'm not holding it against him. But realistically that is a good goal that is within reach. If Frost doesn't fill all the schollies he deserves some criticism for that. Thats all I've been trying to say.

Edited by Nebfanatic
On 12/12/2017 at 1:56 PM, Nebfanatic said:

Ehhh, I wouldn't go that far. Frost would be a little to blame if we don't finish with the #1 class in the west.

46 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I really don't get the pushback, this isn't going to be terribly difficult for Frost and if he can't do it I'm not holding it against him.

These two lines are contradictory, hence the criticism of the opinion.

I do better understand the point you're trying to make. Conceptually, I agree he has a chance to finish with the #1 class in the west and it's an achievable goal. Failing to use all available scholarships could be a concern but that's a different discussion than simply not finishing first in the west.

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I do better understand the point you're trying to make. Conceptually, I agree he has a chance to finish with the #1 class in the west and it's an achievable goal. Failing to use all available scholarships could be a concern but that's a different discussion than simply not finishing first in the west.

I didn't say I'd hold it against him, but yes he is partially responsible for this recruiting class and when I said he'd be a little to blame I was responding to a poster insinuating he had no responsibility for the results of this recruiting cycle. I disagree with that.

18 minutes ago, Enhance said:

There is a discussion in the 2018 recruiting thread about using all available scholarships.  It's not a huge red flag for this year's class (and the staff) isn't at the maximum.  Those schollies could be better used in next year's class when the staff will be able to recruit guys for an entire year and the players will have a better understanding of what they are getting into when coming to NU.