Why The Nebraska Cornhuskers Analyze Players’ Workload, Spit

https://t.co/B7F2lNE8ws?amp=1

“Catapult’s awesome,” Miles said. “I’m able to track how intense our practice is. One encouraging factor is that our workload is higher at this time last year but our intensity is less. And what that tells me is that we have better athletes. What you see is that the least athletes have the most intensity because they’re trying as hard as they can, and you just wear those guys out. But your best athletes, they play hard, but their intensity isn’t as high as the lesser athletes. So what that tells me early is that we have more juice, and I like that.”

A newcomer, transfer guard James Palmer Jr., has led Nebraska in scoring thus far. And in the Cornhuskers’ second season of using Catapult, players are buying in to the use of wearable tech in their compression shirts during practice. The wireless GPS devices track the micro-movements they make.

“I’m not really a technology guy, but it kind of gives us a measure of how hard we’re going, how much the body is moving, and whether we need to do less or do more as the season goes on,” starting guard Evan Taylor said. “So it’s pretty cool. It’s just another way for recovery and then knowing what you’re giving, so it’s interesting.

“Some people, if your numbers aren’t where they’re supposed to be, they might poke a jab at you and be like, ‘Well, your Catapult numbers are low, so you must not be going hard.'”

Taylor smiled as he clarified that he has never been “some people,” one of those players with low numbers. “Sometimes they come in with the sniffles and somehow their Catapult won’t work that day,” Miles joked.

It’s the insights on the team as a whole that are changing the way Nebraska prepares for games.

“We found out a year ago through our Catapult system that over 40 percent of our workload on game day was done before we even got to warmups through our shootaround and our pregame shooting,” Miles said. “So we changed our entire shootaround to a little bit of walkthrough — a rehearsal — and we did our shooting but we cut it from 15 minutes to 10.

Really great read here and more in the article. Pretty cool technology the Huskers are using. 

Edited by seaofred92
  • Plus1 2