I agree with the guy in Orlando.  Frost shouldn't coach the game and focus all of his attention on Nebraska.

But who else will coach them if all their coaches moved here?  Frost coaching the game seems the most gentlemanly thing to do and the right thing to do for the kids.  People outside the coaches and players might have a problem, but someone will either way no matter what, so err on the side of doing the right thing for the players.

It feels slightly less awkward to me if an assistant is the one who acts as head coach in the game, but awkward nonetheless.

Technically speaking, the new coach could lead the team but it's a bad decision given all the nuances of what they know and trying to get a coaching staff up to speed on it in one month. So, Frost or perhaps Walters are the only real options to coach the game, but they've made it pretty awkward with the attempts at recruit poaching.

There is also this:

New UCF coach Josh Heupel settled the issue succinctly Tuesday, saying he would be watching the Peach Bowl from athletics director Danny White's luxury suite.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:20 AM, Enhance said:

Precisely. I think it's very admirable and respectable to want to coach that game for the players at UCF. On paper, it seems like the right thing to do. But, when you start weighing all the factors (like we've mentioned) it starts to get more awkward with each passing day. It could end up doing harm. Just speaking from my shoes - I would prefer a clean break as a UCF fan.

Part of me wonders if he's secretly hoping his OC gets the head coaching job and coaches in the game. That might make it easier to say 'you know what, they're in pretty good hands.' I imagine the OC would be interim HC anyways but I don't know if they've made that call yet.

I mentioned this on another board as a reason to hire Walters. Walters could be HC for the game, Frost could be his OC and then a lot of the awkwardness goes away. Like a band reuniting for one show, even though they're all going their separate ways after. 

Most UCF fans are conflicted. We know that Auburn will be a tougher opponent than Baylor was in our last big bowl and that we have no chance with Heupel and a bunch of new assistants installing a new system in a few weeks. And I think most UCF fans admire Frost for actually wanting to be loyal to the players and not leave the school hanging. 

The most complicating factor is the recruit poaching. I'm not really sure WTH Frost is thinking with that. You can either be magnanimous or screw over your former team in these situations, but there's not a lot of gray area.

You're already screwing over the team by taking all the coaches and making sure the team will not be the same one that shows up at the bowl. But you can explain it away as "we have a good team of coaches, we wanted to stay together, didn't know who the new coach would be" and if you come back for the bowl, I think all reasonable people understand. 

But know one is forcing you to poach recruits. And I get it from Frost's perspective, most of these recruits committed to him and not the university and who knows if the new coach will want/utilize them. But it looks really bad. And it knocks down the magnanimity down quite a few pegs and leaves a lot of people very suspicious of what else you're capable of.

If I'm White, I tell him to stay away from the recruits or not coach in the bowl. Be a hero or a jerk, but don't try to be both, it just makes a lot of people unhappy. 

• Plus1 4
34 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I mentioned this on another board as a reason to hire Walters. Walters could be HC for the game, Frost could be his OC and then a lot of the awkwardness goes away. Like a band reuniting for one show, even though they're all going their separate ways after. 

Most UCF fans are conflicted. We know that Auburn will be a tougher opponent than Baylor was in our last big bowl and that we have no chance with Heupel and a bunch of new assistants installing a new system in a few weeks. And I think most UCF fans admire Frost for actually wanting to be loyal to the players and not leave the school hanging. 

The most complicating factor is the recruit poaching. I'm not really sure WTH Frost is thinking with that. You can either be magnanimous or screw over your former team in these situations, but there's not a lot of gray area.

You're already screwing over the team by taking all the coaches and making sure the team will not be the same one that shows up at the bowl. But you can explain it away as "we have a good team of coaches, we wanted to stay together, didn't know who the new coach would be" and if you come back for the bowl, I think all reasonable people understand. 

But know one is forcing you to poach recruits. And I get it from Frost's perspective, most of these recruits committed to him and not the university and who knows if the new coach will want/utilize them. But it looks really bad. And it knocks down the magnanimity down quite a few pegs and leaves a lot of people very suspicious of what else you're capable of.

If I'm White, I tell him to stay away from the recruits or not coach in the bowl. Be a hero or a jerk, but don't try to be both, it just makes a lot of people unhappy. 

Here’s another way to look at it: Frost has been working with these high school kids, giving them his time, and giving them scholarships.  What is he supposed to do now? Abandon them?  Maybe he told them: “I’m not going to talk you into coming to Nebraska, but if you want to, I’ll still give you a scholarship as I promised you that I would before.”

^^^This could be the case, and if so, it seems fair.  But, I understand where you’re coming from.

• Plus1 1

I think there's no easy way to handle it if you're Frost, particularly if there's a player you think could play at Nebraska, too. You don't want to abandon the kid but you also don't want to hurt your former team.

As a Husker fan, my general sentiment is he needs to focus on the school that's paying his salary (and a hefty salary at that). I'd feel that way as any fan. But, if I were a UCF fan, I would undoubtedly be a little ticked about a few of the people he's offered. I would understand the intention but it would still rile me up a bit.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Truth in Ruin said:

Here’s another way to look at it: Frost has been working with these high school kids, giving them his time, and giving them scholarships.  What is he supposed to do now? Abandon them?  Maybe he told them: “I’m not going to talk you into coming to Nebraska, but if you want to, I’ll still give you a scholarship as I promised you that I would before.”

^^^This could be the case, and if so, it seems fair.  But, I understand where you’re coming from.

UCF has a head coach now and can be recruiting. Frost convinced the recruits to commit to UCF.  It's up to the new coach to keep them. Every recruit is fair game now. I'm sure there is a good reason Frost made the offers knowing how it would look and that he would be coaching the team in a bowl game. We won't find out the reason unless the recruit says something.

• Plus1 3