1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

I'm recalling an interview where Frost was asked about assembling his staff.  The statement and impression was close to, "Well, if the coaches want to come be a part of the next opportunity I want them to have it.  I owe them that."

When UCF passed on Walters as the HC ... I don't get why Frost gets blame about offering Walters to come with him.  He is extending the same opportunity as the other coaches.  The guy gets to double his salary and make a better name for himself so he can then land the best HC position.  Thus, it agitates me a bit how @ATS Knight can slant his view.  I get it however ... but is it truly honest and considerate with all the information known.  Finally, I also don't get the "take" on how it's wrong for Scott to offer these kids to come with him to Nebraska, if they want ... because they wanted to play for him and Scott's offense.  I'm thinking of 3-4 recruits that were committed to MR that since his firing have opened up their recruitment and are going other places.  Is ATS Knight wanting to express to our forum that all these kids must hold to their original commitment to MR and must play for Nebraska?  Again, I just don't think these comments are "honest" and "considerate".  I understand that you are a bit "butt-hurt", actually, a lot ... but I get that.

Finally, I think Scott has been more then open about his frustration in the whole process.  Note, he didn't create the process.  We will all probably see the mistakes and his mistakes more clearly after the fact ... but I give him my kudos for how he has tried to conduct himself and honor all sides.  At a minimum, we should all compare ourselves to his example ... most would fall far short ... if we are honest.

There isn't a template for this situation.  It just doesn't happen often enough to know how to guarantee the best outcome for all involved

I feel a little weird about redirecting recruits.  I do think he's tried to do what's right for his UCF players and his coaching staff, it's just a complex situation.  I wonder if he would have preferred to wait until after the bowl game to announce his leaving but Nebraska would have boiled over, so Moos may have had to force the issue a bit.  Again, it's probably about recruiting.  I do fall short on idolizing him and how he conducts himself.  He's not Jesus, he's a head coach that is paid well, and he should publically conduct himself at a high standard.  

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Thus, it agitates me a bit how @ATS Knight can slant his view.  I get it however ... but is it truly honest and considerate with all the information known.  Finally, I also don't get the "take" on how it's wrong for Scott to offer these kids to come with him to Nebraska, if they want ... because they wanted to play for him and Scott's offense.  I'm thinking of 3-4 recruits that were committed to MR that since his firing have opened up their recruitment and are going other places.  Is ATS Knight wanting to express to our forum that all these kids must hold to their original commitment to MR and must play for Nebraska?  Again, I just don't think these comments are "honest" and "considerate".  I understand that you are a bit "butt-hurt", actually, a lot ... but I get that.

I'm getting a ton of compliments in a bunch of different threads, it's hard for me to keep up. I wonder if the mods should combine them into a "Is ATS a butthurt moron?" megathread. 

It seems to be the topic du jour now that some of the news is dying down. 

35 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

@ATS Knight, well, my post was not a dart at you bubba.  Nor am I debating you.  Just adding to the overall discussion and hopefully some additional balance.  I like how @krc1995 put it ... there is no "template".  Very true.  In the end, I think both UCF fans and Husker fans have seen enough of Scott Frost over the 2-20 years to see how he conducts himself.

I'm not offended (I have no problem not being the sharpest knife in the drawer), however I wrote about a real concern in a facetious tone. Namely, that both this thread and more so the Assistants Announced threads are starting to focus more on whether the UCF fans are whiners (and whether I'm a butthurt/whiny/naive troll), than the actual topic they were created for. 

While creating a thread to debate my intelligence/character doesn't sound like the most workable solution, it probably would get those threads back on track. 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I'm not offended (I have no problem not being the sharpest knife in the drawer), however I wrote about a real concern in a facetious tone. Namely, that both this thread and more so the Assistants Announced threads are starting to focus more on whether the UCF fans are whiners (and whether I'm a butthurt/whiny/naive troll), than the actual topic they were created for. 

While creating a thread to debate my intelligence/character doesn't sound like the most workable solution, it probably would get those threads back on track. 

I don't think UCF fans are whiners, I think they are all just new to this part of big time college football. A 12-0 season puts you in big time college football,  I don't care what conference you reside in. 

A coach who moves teams goes after kids he had a relationship at the last school 100% of the time. It isn't personal, they simply have a job to do, one with a new school writing the checks. A job with a short window for success.

I don't think Nebraska fans understand the point of view of UCF fans either, and are just telling them to suck it up and stop complaining as a cop out. That isn't 100% fair either.

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Edited by runningblind
  • Plus1 1

UCF fans online are absolutely melting down. A few voices of reason still remain, but it's crazy. Some are suggesting having Heupel run Frost's playbook, as if the plays are just "translating" from Heupel's playbook to Frost's. Others think it shouldn't be too hard for Randy Shannon to install a new defense in the next 3 weeks. This thread captures most of the insanity:

https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/no-staff-and-less-than-22-days-from-kickoff-pic.58004/

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

UCF fans online are absolutely melting down. A few voices of reason still remain, but it's crazy. Some are suggesting having Heupel run Frost's playbook, as if the plays are just "translating" from Heupel's playbook to Frost's. Others think it shouldn't be too hard for Randy Shannon to install a new defense in the next 3 weeks. This thread captures most of the insanity:

https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/no-staff-and-less-than-22-days-from-kickoff-pic.58004/

Wow. That was fantastic stuff. They've fallen so far that they're now to the point of ripping the state of Nebraska.:lol:

2 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

I'm getting a ton of compliments in a bunch of different threads, it's hard for me to keep up. I wonder if the mods should combine them into a "Is ATS a butthurt moron?" megathread

It seems to be the topic du jour now that some of the news is dying down. 

:LOLtartar

Ah, don't worry about it.  There are a segment of posters here who live to give noobs and new-comers crap.  It's literally all they do to try and make themselves feel better.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I read it; it’s embarrassing. 

Edited by Truth in Ruin

47 minutes ago, hansenn said:

@ATS Knight do you have any insight as to what might have happened between UCF and Beckton or Walters?

No idea. There's a decent chance that Walters only stayed on to have a shot at the HC position, but Beckton probably wanted to stay. He was still recruiting! Heupel says that he "obviously wanted them to stay." Rumors are that Beckton wanted a promotion and Heupel wouldn't give it to him or promise that he would be promoted soon. In this hypothetical theory, Frost may have promised him (or promised strong consideration for) the OC position when Walters inevitably leaves.  

16 minutes ago, Truth in Ruin said:

I read it; it’s embarrassing. 

It's more embarrassing if you're a UCF fan. The installing a defense in 3 weeks thing was pretty awesome. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Serious question- who actually does own the playbook?  If Heupel coaches does Frost have to turn over the play book?  Not saying it would come down to this but just wondering

Two part response:

1. No one owns any playbook. 

2. I betcha there is more than one copy.

Secret third response:

3. If they try to run something other than what they have been because of new dudes coaching and telling Frost and Co. to bug off, it will be ugly. I don't want that to happen. I love the little guys sticking it to the big guys, besides Big Red of course. 

Sources: 

1&2 - Have physically seen multiple copies of the same documents before.

3. Used to live in Boise during their run.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ATS Knight said:

No idea. There's a decent chance that Walters only stayed on to have a shot at the HC position, but Beckton probably wanted to stay. He was still recruiting! Heupel says that he "obviously wanted them to stay." Rumors are that Beckton wanted a promotion and Heupel wouldn't give it to him or promise that he would be promoted soon. In this hypothetical theory, Frost may have promised him (or promised strong consideration for) the OC position when Walters inevitably leaves.  

It's more embarrassing if you're a UCF fan. The installing a defense in 3 weeks thing was pretty awesome. 

I feel bad for the UCF fans that are trying to be reasonable.

• Plus1 1