18 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Watt Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Louisville
    • Cincinnati
    • Kentucky

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

According to Watt he got a 27 and a 25 the last two times he took the ACT.  But the NCAA flagged it for further investigation, supposedly because of the high score.  So he is still waiting to hear back from the NCAA on being cleared.

WTF!!!!

If that’s literally legit, he is way too smart to not have been on campus in early June. Hats off Watt!!!

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

If he was working on improving his ACT score it wouldn't surprise me he got those scores. ACT follows a certain structure and there are a few prep courses out there that do a great job of helping you identify these patterns and thus improve your scores. The science section is especially structured mainly dealing with graph interpretation. I tend to believe kids are typically smarter than they score but hold themselves back for one reason or another. 

Lol...

I could get a 30 if I knew there was 100K plus of free education/football stuff involved at the other side of the rainbow.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I joked about this but this is ridiculous.

Those scores are really good but it's possible to not study and not do great in school and get a good score on the ACT.

You definitely can.  But that would seem to be an extreme outlier for a prospective Division 1 athlete.  Which might be why it got flagged.

A 27 would put him in nearly the 75th percentile of the student body at Michigan State or Iowa (two B1G schools in the Top 100 schools on the ACT web site).  I've never really understood how the ACT Sum works for NCAA qualification but for the lowest GPA to avoid an academic redshirt (2.300) you need a sum of 75 which would average 18.75 over the four categories.  I've never heard academic redshirt talk with him (not that that means anything) and it was always about getting course work done so I'm not really sure what the ACT score has to do with it.  Unless they just want to make sure that someone with a 2.4 (or whatever) GPA really did get a 27 on their ACT.

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How do you cheat on the ACT? I remember it and it would literally be impossible. 

There could be impropriety at the testing facility but that's not usually the case. It's usually the case that the system flags a result based on either a lower previous test or GPA that would not align with the score. It's usually a matter of validating grades and such. 

I dont have any inside information to this case specific, but often times it's actually the incoming school that is blocking things just to make sure there wouldn't be any trouble giving financial aid to a student with a flagged result. The NCAA can sometimes be slow in letting everyone know things are alright. 

Going by public knowledge I would predict he eventually gets cleared, just a question of when.

• Mavric changed the title to JUCO WR Dominick Watt
  • Mavric unpinned this topic