Charlie Mcbride podcast on Big Red Cobcast

I.M. OLD

McBride's comments about the scout team going half-speed and not trying to rip the ball away from the offense reminds me of Riley's comments towards the end of the year of "everything would be great up until the games".  When Riley didn't have the team approach practices like they approach games, of course the team performance is going to suffer on game days.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's what walk-ons are for!!!

Actually, I think you won't see a lot of attrition.  There will be a few guys that will leave, and that happens with any coaching transition.  However, you could see the excitement in so many of the players that were interviewed after meeting Frost on Sunday morning.  As I said above, most players want to be led, taught, and pushed to reach their best, which I think the new staff will excel at.

Excitement wanes when the bullets start flying.  For now I am going to assume that they are hungry to be lead, improved, developed, and realize all of that takes what Frost will ask of them.  May they all rise to the challenge.

8 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

There are some pretty damning quotations from Charlie regarding Riley and his staff's coaching ability:

9:28: McBride asks Riley why the scout team defensive players weren't actively trying to strip the ball from the offensive players during practice. Riley's reply was "I'll have to look into that" :facepalm:

10:15: McBride asks Cavanaugh why he only played five offensive linemen during games: "Because I only get five guys ready to play" says Cavanaugh, which McBride links to the Pro mentality of coaching 

There's other gems in here as well, like the lack of time in the practice schedule for individual work/fundamentals work (literally zero time according to what Parella told McBride) and the staff wasn't used to coaching 100+ players (the point that Riley routinely did not have a full compliment of 85 scholarship players at Oregon State also came up, but I'm not sure if that's valid...)

All in all, seems like the past three years were a waste of time, resources, and (most importantly) these kids' ability. 

8 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Cliff Notes:

• McBride talked to Parrella and he told Charlie that they didn't have any individual time during practice to "teach" techniques etc. He also said their D line technique was to bull rush and knock the ball down if they could, per Diaco
  • McBride also told Riley in a practice he visited that he didn't feel the scout team defense should go half speed. Riley said "I'll have to look into that"
  • He said this past staff was just more about running plays in practice and not working on technique, unity, work ethic etc. 
  • When McBride coached it was more about lining up and telling the offense to move the ball on them instead of trying to over think and confusing people
  • Charlie felt that Diaco tried to coach the coaches on every move. Said that Tom Osborne never did that in his career. Diaco blamed the players many times that they couldn't catch onto his defense
  • Good quote Charlie made "Players win. Coaches lose" 
  • Said Frost was probably the most competitive QB he remembers. Frost had a calm confidence that he thinks helps him in coaching 
  • He thought coach Cav was a pretty good coach, but wasn't impressed with the run blocking while he was here 
  • Talks about how he never made over $100k when coaching besides the time they got bowl bonuses 
  • Tells a story when Auburn had recruiting violations in front of his face 
  • All and all this last staff ran things like the NFL and had a soft mentality, ran easy practices without team cohesiveness 

Seriously, How in the world can guys Like Keyshawn even try and defend the staff that allows this crap?  Just mind numbing incompetence.  

Wow.. what a listen.  We knew there was some b.s. happening in Lincoln, and this was painful to hear.

It’s so obvious that our guys aren’t getting coached up.  

I lived in Blue Springs, MO (home of the Davis twins) the year we were recruiting them.  Watching them play in high school — they were as dominant as Suh.

I was excited and have been watching them closely here.  It’s staggering to see how little they’ve developed.

This link is superb!  Huge props to the poster who initially linked it.  Coach McBride gave some really great insight.  

Coach McBride touched on Riley and his staff

• Not teaching the players basic fundamentals: run blocking, tackling, etc
  • Not teaching them hand placement, footwork, gap responsibility
  • How assistant coaches weren't allowed to coach
  • No individual periods for teaching

Those were the ones I remember after listening to the entire segment.  I can't believe that I think even less of the former coaches now, than I did before.  No wonder this team was so terrible.  

Before listening to this podcast, I voiced the opinion several times that Nebraska has more talent than some think, and that our talent level wasn't really the problem. 

After listening to what Coach McBride said, I am now 100% convinced lack of talent was never the issue.  Bad coaches, soft practices, scout team going half speed, not teaching fundamentals, no individual periods for teaching, etc.

Good god, Mike Riley and his coaches were even WORSE than I ever imagined--and I didn't think that was possible.  I know we're contractually obligated to pay Mike Riley what he is owed, but it is too bad we can't point to any kind of clause where we could legally deny paying him for being so incompetent, for hiring incompetent assistants, and running practices like they were a walk-through.

• Plus1 3