The old diamond formation

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

"old"

Nebraska first used this formation in 2011, six years ago.

Slightly off-topic, but man Beck had some really great ideas for an offensive identity here that he could never quite fully realize or put all the pieces together with.

I'd love if Frost adjusted his scheme towards a little bit more of a heavy-set/power focus, at least at times, as sort of an entirely realized and modernized Nebraska power running attack using a lot of those same ideas. Beck hardly ever ran the diamond, and it always drove us nuts because nearly every single time he did it resulted in huge yardage.

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Slightly off-topic, but man Beck had some really great ideas for an offensive identity here that he could never quite fully realize or put all the pieces together with.

I'd love if Frost adjusted his scheme towards a little bit more of a heavy-set/power focus, at least at times, as sort of an entirely realized and modernized Nebraska power running attack using a lot of those same ideas. Beck hardly ever ran the diamond, and it always drove us nuts because nearly every single time he did it resulted in huge yardage.

I can see Frost running what you described above.  A spread team with power principles.  Use counters and traps to complement his spread option RPO style.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

You should be.

He's lacking the cogs he needs to make his offense go...which is why he's offering tons of RB's and trying to get a JUCO QB.

IF we strike out on those...we're going to have quite a bad year on the offensive side of the ball.

Frost does not have a magic wand he can wave to make our square peg offense guys fit into his offensive schemes' round holes.  He may be a good and maybe great coach...but he's not a wizard.

I'm more worried about the offense than I am the defense at this point in time.

The thing is, our offense which was supposed to be round peg in round hole this year was mediocre or worse. I'd bet on Frost's being better even if we don't get a good new QB.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I wouldn't. Pocket passers aren't good runners.

I realize people will point out POB and Gebbia's numbers from high school...but this is college ball.  They won't even come close to those numbers....and we NEED THEM TO in order to succeed.

Frost can't wave a wand and make everything ok on offense.  He needs the tools to be in place and we just don't have them right now.  I stand by my position...I'm more worried about our offense than our defense.  They're the ones changing schemes.

I agree that the offensive improvement won’t come overnight. In fact, UCF’s D was their strength in 2016. I’m concerned about the RB position next year. I like Jaylin Bradley overall and Ozigbo in short yardage situations, but Frost needs to bring in 2-3 RB’s in this recruiting class. I don’t think we can depend on Tre Bryant being a major contributor going forward. Chronic knee issues concern me.  Frost’s offense threw the ball around a lot this year, but it’s still an offense based on a strong running game. 

Edited by ColoradoHusk

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The thing is, our offense which was supposed to be round peg in round hole this year was mediocre or worse. I'd bet on Frost's being better even if we don't get a good new QB.

This.  So much this.

We were #87 in the county in yards per game this year.  One more first down per quarter (40 yards per game) would put us near the Top 40.  I won’t be at all surprised if we’re scaring the Top 20 (+80 yards per game).

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This.  So much this.

We were #87 in the county in yards per game this year.  One more first down per quarter (40 yards per game) would put us near the Top 40.  I won’t be at all surprised if we’re scaring the Top 20 (+80 yards per game).

I think the defense will surprise people this year and the offense will not meet the high expectations. It's the norm for new coaches, even offense oriented new coaches, for the defensive improvement to outpace the offensive improvement.

Somewhere between top 40 and top 50 in yards per game is my guess. Top 20, barring we aren't being blown out commensurate to this year and accumulating garbage time stats, would mean enormous things for year 2. 

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'd love if Frost adjusted his scheme towards a little bit more of a heavy-set/power focus, at least at times, as sort of an entirely realized and modernized Nebraska power running attack using a lot of those same ideas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that basically a description of what Meyer runs at OSU?  Not that that's a bad thing.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker