The old diamond formation

8 hours ago, brophog said:

I think the defense will surprise people this year and the offense will not meet the high expectations. It's the norm for new coaches, even offense oriented new coaches, for the defensive improvement to outpace the offensive improvement.

Somewhere between top 40 and top 50 in yards per game is my guess. Top 20, barring we aren't being blown out commensurate to this year and accumulating garbage time stats, would mean enormous things for year 2. 

The expectations are not high. Better than this year is not high expectations.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Pump the brakes Mavric.

Sunshine is flowing eh?

Did our OLine instantly become serviceable?  Did we instantly get a dual threat QB to run frosts plays?  Did we instantly get TE's that can block and more than one that can catch?  Did we instantly get more than 3 receivers that can separate from coverage?

I'm all for having some improvement...and if what you say is true, I'll be completely happy.  But the fact is, the only side of the ball changing scheme is the offense.  There is going to be some growing pains there and I think no one is really thinking this will happen.

You must not have read the topics where people are predicting our record. I haven't seen anyone with unreasonable expectations yet.

And we have the talent for many of the things in your first paragraph to improve a lot with good coaching. Same with the defense. The talent is there. And with the suddenly getting a dual threat QB, we seem pretty high on 2 of them.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Landlord said:

Slightly off-topic, but man Beck had some really great ideas for an offensive identity here that he could never quite fully realize or put all the pieces together with.

I'd love if Frost adjusted his scheme towards a little bit more of a heavy-set/power focus, at least at times, as sort of an entirely realized and modernized Nebraska power running attack using a lot of those same ideas. Beck hardly ever ran the diamond, and it always drove us nuts because nearly every single time he did it resulted in huge yardage.

I would prefer Frost to come in and run what he is confident with and has had success with before.

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

It's not that Moirane, its more of the people talking about how absolutely breakneck our offense will be next year.  And no one is really worried about the offense...all I see is "are we going to fix the defense".

I realize Diaco scammed us all and made a mockery of that side of the ball...but I just think the offense is broken as well and I don't see Frost having an easy fix of it in 1 year.  Improvement?  Yep.  But I've seen people on the board here think we'll be a top 20 offense...because Frost.  I just don't know how that can happen.

If it does?  Hellls ya.  But I'm not going to hold my breath. 

Both side of the ball were WORSE than any Husker team I've seen in the past 30 years.  Only one year of Frost won't change that considerably...this is a rebuild from the ground up.

In my opinion there will be a Big jump with both units next year. 

Your concerns are valid. But again in my opinion much of that is correctable due to the primary underlying issue being the programs culture and on field effort.

Gebbia and POB are good enough to make this offense go at a high, albeit not elite level. Wilbon and ozigbo are good enough to in a similar way as well.

On the line I get the feeling an open competition is about to take place and we will end up with our best 5 guys come fall next year.

This isn't exactly a square peg round hole situation, more like and oval to round hole. 

Nothing a sledgehammer can't pound through.

6 to 8 wins is on the table next year. Results depending on how quick the kids embrace the culture.

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I agree, 6 to 8 winds is doable.  But I disagree that POB or Gebbia will make the offender hum.  I also think our backs, specifically the two you mention, are not fast enough for the perimeter runs, slants, veers,etc in Frost's offense.

I think we have a longer way to go offensively than we do defensively.

Oh yea you are correct there, those backs cannot do that at a level needed to be successful consistently.

But I get the feeling they won't be asked to do that.

If anything I'd wager Scott will construct his offense to play to their strengths.

Same to be said with our QBs. 

The offense won't look identical to what he ran at UCF. And it probably won't until he has the personnel he needs to run it.

13 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You guys have had 4 months to get prepared for Frost's offense. He's going to run what he's comfortable with, and what has worked for him. 

The first time anyone complains about shotgun on 3rd and 2, I'm going to laugh. 

Considering this is the same offense that had pocket pro style passers and old school power backs at Oregon. And still won it's division. I'm just pointing out it's flexibility to respond to the players that are running it. 

And I agree I'm going to laugh too because for many people it hasn't dawned on them yet they we are now a spread team. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Considering this is the same offense that had pocket pro style passers and old school power backs at Oregon. And still won it's division. I'm just pointing out it's flexibility to respond to the players that are running it. 

And I agree I'm going to laugh too because for many people it hasn't dawned on them yet they we are now a spread team. 

I don't disagree; the flexibility will be a breath of fresh air compared to the "motion into a tight 3x1 formation" we ran every. single. play last year. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not worried about either - I think they'll both be improved. But I think we'll win 6-7 games.

Yeah this is where I am. On defense, I think we will see a much more aggressive unit that flies to the ball but will get burned on big plays from time to time. As opposed to this year where we had a passive lethargic defense that frequently got burned on big plays. 

On offense I agree we don’t have the dudes to do what he did at UCF right away. Mainly because of the Oline. I think we will probably have a good shot being serviceable at the skill positions with a few hits in the JUCO ranks but the Oline will take some time. 

I took the over over on the prop bet at 6.5. I really think we can get 7 wins next year

5 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Pump the brakes Mavric.

Sunshine is flowing eh?

Did our OLine instantly become serviceable?  Did we instantly get a dual threat QB to run frosts plays?  Did we instantly get TE's that can block and more than one that can catch?  Did we instantly get more than 3 receivers that can separate from coverage?

I'm all for having some improvement...and if what you say is true, I'll be completely happy.  But the fact is, the only side of the ball changing scheme is the offense.  There is going to be some growing pains there and I think no one is really thinking this will happen.

Technique, technique, technique. I will be disappointed if the line doesn't improve next year. Too many guys tripping over their own feet. Frost can scheme around the weaknesses on offense. That said, we won 4 games this year. I'm perfectly ok with 6 wins in 2018.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, irafreak said:

Technique, technique, technique. I will be disappointed if the line doesn't improve next year. Too many guys tripping over their own feet. Frost can scheme around the weaknesses on offense. That said, we won 4 games this year. I'm perfectly ok with 6 wins in 2018.

They will be improved . I have faith in frost and his coaches .