The old diamond formation

I find it interesting how many on here are now predicting 6 or 7 wins for next year when a month ago, that was just totally unacceptable and as such, Riley had to go even before the season was over.  

I think 8 wins is very reasonable for this fall IF as many on this board insist we have the best "talent" in the Big Ten west.  Some on here insist we have the talent to win the Big Ten.  I disagree strongly and I think this season demonstrated that our talent level is somewhere around the upper end of the bottom half of the conference.   I don't buy the recruiting rankings as the stars are awarded using a magic 8 ball or ouigi board or maybe just drawn from a hat I suspect.  Over the past 5 decades, the great majority of NU's best players were NOT highly regarded recruits and many were even walk ons and or not even rated.

I think far too many coaches and programs are recruiting using the rankings and so on instead of doing their own homework and searching.   Coaches need to get out there and watch games and recruit and evaluable personally.   It seems to me that we've offered literally many hundreds of players - a virtual shotgun approach - and this suggests to me that we may not have had real serious involvement with many of the players offered.  It looks like we simply took the top 200 players by position and just offered a bunch of each.  Hopefully, they do a lot better job in finding true diamonds in the rough rather than just power shopping and impulse buying.  

I am not sure what is meant by the 'diamond' formation.  I recall Osborne had a backfield in the diamond formation (I believe it was referred to as the Osbone).   I know we ran plays out of the formation.  Perhaps this isn't at all what it meant.     

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I find it interesting how many on here are now predicting 6 or 7 wins for next year when a month ago, that was just totally unacceptable and as such, Riley had to go even before the season was over.  

I think 8 wins is very reasonable for this fall IF as many on this board insist we have the best "talent" in the Big Ten west.  Some on here insist we have the talent to win the Big Ten.  I disagree strongly and I think this season demonstrated that our talent level is somewhere around the upper end of the bottom half of the conference.   I don't buy the recruiting rankings as the stars are awarded using a magic 8 ball or ouigi board or maybe just drawn from a hat I suspect.  Over the past 5 decades, the great majority of NU's best players were NOT highly regarded recruits and many were even walk ons and or not even rated.

I think far too many coaches and programs are recruiting using the rankings and so on instead of doing their own homework and searching.   Coaches need to get out there and watch games and recruit and evaluable personally.   It seems to me that we've offered literally many hundreds of players - a virtual shotgun approach - and this suggests to me that we may not have had real serious involvement with many of the players offered.  It looks like we simply took the top 200 players by position and just offered a bunch of each.  Hopefully, they do a lot better job in finding true diamonds in the rough rather than just power shopping and impulse buying.  

I am not sure what is meant by the 'diamond' formation.  I recall Osborne had a backfield in the diamond formation (I believe it was referred to as the Osbone).   I know we ran plays out of the formation.  Perhaps this isn't at all what it meant.     

I think we ran the diamond with Martinez and Burkhead.  I'm not sure, I guess I could look up old threads.  I really liked it at the time.

If I recall we have two kids that would have played alot at receiver that were hurt before the season. After hearing about the team from a kid that played this year, and the McBride podcast, IF the kids buy in, which I actually think they will, IF the line can block, which with coaching, is actually possible, and IF they can learn to tackle, which they should be able to learn, they will be fine, like 7-8 wins. Top that off, with the FACT that the players that performed the best were NOT always the ones on the field there should be a huge upswing on the field. Your not going to see kids that are not performing staying on the field after constant screw ups, and lack of effort. We fired the Tazmanian Devil, fired the Easter Bunny and now we have Wile Coyote. Hip Hip.....