Political Bias/Knowledge Quiz

https://www.guidedtrack.com/programs/iumboi4/run?

This quiz surveys you for your stated political leanings, and then asks a series of 14 'knowledge' questions. Afterwards, you get feedback about what biases your answers may have exposed, and you'll get to see what you answered right or wrong. 

(My bias score was 1/3, which is in the 35th percentile. Apparently 50% of people are between 0 and 63, and another 50% are higher than that. )

I don't know too much about the organization running this or the LSE polisci faculty member they are collaborating with, but it seems like a thoughtful and interesting survey. What did you get? What'd you get right/wrong? (don't look ahead if you want to avoid spoilers)

• Plus1 2

I’m not exactly sure what it means but....

My total political bias was 0%. 25% of test takers get this score, the average is 47.14%.

I correctly answered 10/18 for 55.56%, my score was higher than 85% of test takers.

I guess the bias score surprises me a little. I would’ve thought I was little biased but maybe the political events of the past couple years have caused me to be fairer and more open minded.

I scored highest on the economy and was 50% in each of the other 3 areas. I didn’t really totally blow any answer though. The ones I got wrong we’re just a notch off.

Edited by Comfortably Numb

Nice! The blurb about bias was too long for me to read without losing interest, so I haven't gotten around to it :-P I imagine it has a lot to do with how accurately you answered the survey questions. That said, I do think 0 is good =)

I got 14/18. Missed both the crime questions, another one on the "number of tech companies by market capitalization" -- I thought there would've been more than one Chinese or Korean company in that list! I guess not. I forget what the last miss was. 

One of the things this quiz reinforced for me was that you can't simply assume things are "not known" and consider that the most reasonable response ... at the same time, sometimes it really is "not known", and it's dangerous to assume a positive when it's perhaps more unclear. Kind of a tough battle to fight. This of course is why those with ill-intent will try to obfuscate (GMOs, climate change, evo-freaking-lution). Similarly it's why people who commit crimes will brazenly lie about it. Because it's probably effective.

I did that on a few I got wrong. I said not known yet on GMO’s and safely storing radioactive waste. I kind of feel like those were trick question. Sure “technically” you can store the waste, but only time will tell if it’s truly safe. And I could be wrong but aren’t some GMO’s safe while others are not? My next door neighbor is a geneticist and modifies corn that is safe....I think it’s safe :lol:

19 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I did that on a few I got wrong. I said not known yet on GMO’s and safely storing radioactive waste. I kind of feel like those were trick question. Sure “technically” you can store the waste, but only time will tell if it’s truly safe. And I could be wrong but aren’t some GMO’s safe while others are not? My next door neighbor is a geneticist and modifies corn that is safe....I think it’s safe :lol:

The trick to the radioactive question is that the question asked if it was safe to store for decades - we've already been storing radioactive waste safely for decades.

I got 15/18 but I didn't see a bias result on that page. I got both crimes questions wrong along with the organic food production vs conventional.

You gotta keep clicking forward to get to the bias results. It’s like the 4th or 5th page IIRC.

And yeah, I knew we had already stored it safely for decades but what if something goes wrong ten, twenty, thirty years from now? I may have over thunk it.

Side story. there is a decommissioned nuclear power facility about 15 miles north of here. I went there to look at a job a few years back. They have retired military guys guarding it and it ain’t no joke....you don’t just walk in to the place. But what amazes me is the steam still coming out of the stacks. Sh#ts been shut down for years (maybe two decades or more) and the rods are still cooling off. Kinda spooky.

Edited by Comfortably Numb
9 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

You gotta keep clicking forward to get to the bias results. It’s like the 4th or 5th page IIRC.

And yeah, I knew we had already stored it safely for decades but what if something goes wrong ten, twenty, thirty years from now? I may have over thunk it.

Side story. there is a decommissioned nuclear power facility about 15 miles north of here. I went there to look at a job a few years back. They have retired military guys guarding it and it ain’t no joke....you don’t just walk in to the place. But what amazes me is the steam still coming out of the stacks. Sh#ts been shut down for years (maybe two decades or more) and the rods are still cooling off. Kinda spooky.

Sounds like some Husker fans I know!

I started the quiz...got bored with it...just started clicking...got to the end...didn't want to enter my email.

27 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sounds like some Husker fans I know!

I started the quiz...got bored with it...just started clicking...got to the end...didn't want to enter my email.

You don't have to/give them a spam one and they will show you without having to go to your email account.

11 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

What? I operated nuclear reactors in the navy, and I can tell you that after a year (let alone years) they shouldn't need steam cooling. After decades the conduction through the concrete container walls should be enough. Were there parts of the plant that were still operating?

In total, you correctly answered 9/18 (50%) of the political knowledge questions. 80% of people correctly answer between 5 and 11 questions; 8 is the average. Your score is higher than 75% of test takers.

You correctly answered:

• 1 out of 2 crime questions
  • 3 out of 8 economy questions
  • 5 out of 6 environment questions
  • 0 out of 2 immigration questions

42 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What? I operated nuclear reactors in the navy, and I can tell you that after a year (let alone years) they shouldn't need steam cooling. After decades the conduction through the concrete container walls should be enough. Were there parts of the plant that were still operating?

I don't think anything else is going on there, place was abandoned except for the 247 guards. The military guys told me it would take years for the rods (or whatever they are) to cool down. They of course are there to guard against terrorism. I always figured for possible theft too but not sure how you'd begin to steal radioactive material that is still active like that. Had heard that they were going to convert to natural gas so possibly they are generating power with some other fuel and that could explain still having steam emissions but that isn't what I was told.

3 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I don't think anything else is going on there, place was abandoned except for the 247 guards. The military guys told me it would take years for the rods (or whatever they are) to cool down. They of course are there to guard against terrorism. I always figured for possible theft too but not sure how you'd begin to steal radioactive material that is still active like that. Had heard that they were going to convert to natural gas so possibly they are generating power with some other fuel and that could explain still having steam emissions but that isn't what I was told.

Yeah, the steam must have been for something else. Maybe the power to heat or run the facility? (EDIT: I suspect they may have been messing with you.)

Edited by RedDenver
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Yeah, the steam must have been for something else. Maybe the power to heat or run the facility? (EDIT: I suspect they may have been messing with you.)

Well......this is an actual picture of the place. That’s definitely more than power or heat to run the facility. But it may very well be that it is from generating power from a source other than nuclear. I don’t know that much about it but I do know there is still nuclear material on site because they still have a strong military presence and it requires background checks etc. to even get inside the gate. We did some work on an outbuilding where the guards stay.

121757585.jpg

Actually, I did a little googling and the DOE stores spent nuclear fuel there, about 13% of their total inventory by volume so that would explain why they keep it so secure. They stopped nuclear production in 1989 and it has been recommissioned as a natural gas powered electricity plant so that would explain the steam emissions. So yeah, the guards were likely having a little fun with us. I always get a little nervous when guys are walking around with M16’s and the entrance signs state that use of deadly force is allowed. At that point I’ll believe anything they tell me :lol: