Old offenses v “new offenses”

I am I

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's pretty crazy how many different offenses, drastically different, we've seen in the last 15-20 years. We went from power I rushing/triple option offense to a little bit more of a spread option offense to a terrible west coast offense to a good west coast offense to an intentionally shut down/ball control wco/pro style offense to a zone read run heavy with wco passing schemes offense to a very 'multiple' run-heavy zone read spread to a west coast again.

None of those sound like they have an identity. Frost’s offense has a few base plays that’ll be mastered then plays that work off of those = identity =FINALLY!!

Edited by Mr.Rodgers
  • Plus1 2

Any offense can work with the right coaches and the right players. Alabama could probably run any kind of offense they want (for the most part) because they have the best players in the country.

Whether it's a good or bad thing, I believe the 'pro-style' will be forever unclean at Nebraska. It was already tainted following Callahan and now the fan base has seen two examples of it failing in Lincoln. I would chalk it up as being more of an issue of the coaches and culture, but, it's going to be hard to ever convince folks it will work here.

I'm excited for Frost's offense simply because I believe it's well suited to the program. It's flexible. You can make the scheme more run-oriented if you have a better running QB, or you can go for more passing if you have a QB who can make the throws and if you have speed on the perimeter. I was never convinced Riley's offense could run the ball consistently like he claimed it could.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Whether it's a good or bad thing, I believe the 'pro-style' will be forever unclean at Nebraska. It was already tainted following Callahan and now the fan base has seen two examples of it failing in Lincoln. I would chalk it up as being more of an issue of the coaches and culture, but, it's going to be hard to ever convince folks it will work here.

Agree!!!

13 hours ago, Landlord said:

We went from power I rushing/triple option offense to a little bit more of a spread option offense to a terrible west coast offense to a good west coast offense to an intentionally shut down/ball control wco/pro style offense to a zone read run heavy with wco passing schemes offense to a very 'multiple' run-heavy zone read spread to a west coast again.

Drink.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:06 AM, I am I said:

Nice opinions and chat. I’ve began to believe the pro style, shifting sets, big arm QB style offense was looking very out moded by the time Callahan left. 

Not that it didn’t generate yds and points at times, but he and Riley’s offenses just looked out dated and boring. 

Give me either what Frost is bringing or what Wisconsin/Stanford/Ala do when they have the olines. Love that smash mouth. 

Excited to move into the modern era of offenses!! 

You realize Wisconsin, Stanford and Bama run pro style offenses. Hell, Chysts playbook probably looks tge exact same as Rileys. I'm glad we are going in anotger direction but this narrative is so dumb especially when you say things like "i dont like pro style offense, lets do what wisconsin does!" Because Wisconsin literally runs a pro style big set lots of shifting big arm QB offense.  

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

You realize Wisconsin, Stanford and Bama run pro style offenses. Hell, Chysts playbook probably looks tge exact same as Rileys. I'm glad we are going in anotger direction but this narrative is so dumb especially when you say things like "i dont like pro style offense, lets do what wisconsin does!" Because Wisconsin literally runs a pro style big set lots of shifting big arm QB offense.  

Uhhhh, no. I meant the smash mouth offenses. Predominantly run, down hill style with gigantic lineman of Ala, Wisc, and Stanford. Ahman Green and Frost style. 

OR the new stuff Frost is bringing in. Either of those. 

NOT the big arm, 50/50 pass/run, status boring ass offenses. 

damn. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, I am I said:

Uhhhh, no. I meant the smash mouth offenses. Predominantly run, down hill style with gigantic lineman of Ala, Wisc, and Stanford. Ahman Green and Frost style. 

OR the new stuff Frost is bringing in. Either of those. 

NOT the big arm, 50/50 pass/run, status boring ass offenses. 

damn. 

I know what you are saying but the fact of the matter is those teams run the offense you are describing as pro style. That is their schemes and the concepts they use. They may be run heavier but its a pro style offense.  Do you watch these teams? Because they line up and run alot of the same stuff we did this year. They are just much more effective at running the ball.

• Plus1 1

League wide, NFL teams lined up in 11 personnel over 60% of the time last year, and were in the shotgun roughly the same amount. Almost 80 percent of all pass plays in the NFL last year were from the shotgun. San Francisco was in the pistol or shotgun 90% of the time. Atlanta was only in shotgun 37%.

• Plus1 1