Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not

TGHusker

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

He seems to be reaching pretty hard here.  Who in their right mind would turn down a $500,000 job for a $50,000 job?  No one, that's who.  Plus, we all know Riley's really doing OSU a favor.

He was paid like a temp (for obvious reasons) so he left like a temp. Let's ignore that, though, and look at the writer's premise: OSU as a destination and not a stepping stone.

OSU is at the bottom of the PAC, which is soon to be at the bottom of the P5 in conference payouts. Their TV network has not worked out,  and their external TV deals often put their games so late that they're of limited value in terms of exposure. Hence, OSU is at or very near the bottom of P5 jobs. 

That's not a destination, that's purgatory. Flat out, until something radically changes, and we aren't talking a bake sale here, their best move is to become a stepping stone. They're not even that right now. A real stepping stone where you're paying coaches competitive but not top salaries knowing that if they're successful they'll move on is a model that has worked for smaller schools for years. P5 schools too often make the argument that they're too good for that, and often find themselves with poor coaches and a string of buyouts. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...I'm wondering....Let's say he signs the contract for $500,000.  That means it saves Nebraska $450,000 per year.  BUT.....let's say that the league never gets started and he never actually makes the $500,000....Or....let's say they pay him for 6 months and the deal dies.

What does that do to what we owe him?

Honestly, why does it even matter?  NU has enough money to pay to former coaches.  Why do fans get so worked up about what is owed to former coaches?

5 hours ago, brophog said:

He was paid like a temp (for obvious reasons) so he left like a temp. Let's ignore that, though, and look at the writer's premise: OSU as a destination and not a stepping stone.

OSU is at the bottom of the PAC, which is soon to be at the bottom of the P5 in conference payouts. Their TV network has not worked out,  and their external TV deals often put their games so late that they're of limited value in terms of exposure. Hence, OSU is at or very near the bottom of P5 jobs. 

That's not a destination, that's purgatory. Flat out, until something radically changes, and we aren't talking a bake sale here, their best move is to become a stepping stone. They're not even that right now. A real stepping stone where you're paying coaches competitive but not top salaries knowing that if they're successful they'll move on is a model that has worked for smaller schools for years. P5 schools too often make the argument that they're too good for that, and often find themselves with poor coaches and a string of buyouts. 

Well said @brophog

For what it's worth, I really like the guy they hired to be HC in Smith.  That being said, if he wasn't a QB at Oregon State...I wonder if he would've gone there as he was in a pretty good spot at UW under Peterson.

29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, why does it even matter?  NU has enough money to pay to former coaches.  Why do fans get so worked up about what is owed to former coaches?

Who's worked up?

It's June. There are like 3 bumped topics per day. Who cares if people want to talk about minutiae?

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Who's worked up?

It's June. There are like 3 bumped topics per day. Who cares if people want to talk about minutiae?

As soon as a former coach gets a new job, message board posters get out their abacuses to calculate how much that will impact NU.  It happens with every fired coach, year after year.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

As soon as a former coach gets a new job, message board posters get out their abacuses to calculate how much that will impact NU.  It happens with every fired coach, year after year.

That doesn't mean they're worked up. People post random, unimportant stuff all the time. It doesn't mean it's on the top of their list of things they give a crap about, or that they're "worked up" over it. I'm sure there's someone out there who is, but anyone who mentions it isn't automatically worked up about it. It might just interest them how it all works, especially given the amount of money involved.

• Plus1 1

I know nothing about it, didn’t read or research one word of it, but it seems like they’re talking numbers and they have some solid names. 

I know from the past it’s damn near impossible to keep a pro league alive, but who knows? 

30 minutes ago, I am I said:

Why the posts about the league not starting? They’re getting all these guys to put their name out there, but it’s in danger of not moving forward? 

Also, glad we have Frost 

No idea for real, but, seems like any OTHER time a new league idea has popped up, it never materializes, or has such a short life that hardly anyone remembers it.  Basing my opinion on prior trends with this sort of thing.  We shall see, eh?

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...I'm wondering....Let's say he signs the contract for $500,000.  That means it saves Nebraska $450,000 per year.  BUT.....let's say that the league never gets started and he never actually makes the $500,000....Or....let's say they pay him for 6 months and the deal dies.

What does that do to what we owe him?

Pretty sure it's just what his contract says we were going to pay him minus what he's making.  So each paycheck he gets will get deducted out of what UNL has to pay him.  Doesn't matter if it's one check or the whole year.