Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not

TGHusker

1 minute ago, olddominionhusker said:

I’m sure part of OSU thinking was that they could get Riley cheap. If he wants to coach it wouldn’t make sense for him to demand a lot of money. If he takes the job for 200K or whatever it’s not being done out a maliciousness. It’s in the best interest of his current program. 

I doubt that's even a thought.  OSU's new coach has never been a head coach.  He's young and he played for Riley.  Riley's coming in as a mentor.  Maybe Riley will pull his head out of his ass.  Probably not, but one can hope.  

What I think is funny is that Bray is coming back too.  How does a conversation between Riley and Bray go if Nebraska comes up?  Does Bray look Riley dead in the eyes and ask, "WTF were you thinking?"

3 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I doubt that's even a thought.  OSU's new coach has never been a head coach.  He's young and he played for Riley.  Riley's coming in as a mentor.  Maybe Riley will pull his head out of his ass.  Probably not, but one can hope.  

What I think is funny is that Bray is coming back too.  How does a conversation between Riley and Bray go if Nebraska comes up?  Does Bray look Riley dead in the eyes and ask, "WTF were you thinking?"

If Bray wants to continue to rise in the coaching ranks, he should ask "Mike, what the heck went wrong at Nebraska and what were you/we doing there?"  I would hope Riley would be able to answer those questions honestly and candidly.

I'm happy for him and as others have already suggested a good ending for all parties. He came here and delivered respect and class the entire time. I'm ready to move forwards and as SF has requested unite behind his program now. That said, based on the things which have come out since his departure, which SF had nothing to do with, I can't help feel MR was being undercut and put in a no win situation.

Anyhow good luck Mike and thanks for bringing some decency back to our program. Had you beat Wiscy last year in OT maybe everything would have gone differently. Oh well, looks like you're happy and where you want to be now and many in Husker Nation feel the same way about where they're at now too.

• Plus1 2

Is he the assistant head coach , or assistant TO the head coach.   Dwight Shrute wants to know.  

But in all seriousness, the buyouts on these contracts generally have a requirement that the former coach make a reasonable effort to acquire new employment and it has to be at market value.   So Riley can't go in and get 100 bucks a month salary just because his salary is being supplemented.  That would potentially put him in breach of contract and would void the entire agreement. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This brings up a thought - I wonder how Nebraska fans will remember Mike Riley in the future?

Will he be despised like Bill Callahan - a swear word in some quarters  or will he simply be forgotten like Bill Jennings and many others before The BobFather came on the scene? 

My gut feeling is that he won't be despised like BC - even thought he (MR) had a worse record.  BC was our first real taste of what NU football was like pre 1962.  He was the first of the Non-Husker coaches and is seen as the one that started to migrate us away from NU traditions and culture.  My guess is that MR will be seen as the bridge we had to cross to get back home (continuing the homecoming theme of this thread) - getting us back to the Nebraska Way.  So, if SF is successful, & I believe he will be, I think MR will be soon forgotten and otherwise seen as a nice guy that was the wrong fit for NU.   I wish him well back at OSU

Among the Husker fans who believe that there is an actual identity associated with the NU brand i.e. tough physical football, he will not be thought of highly.  Among the Husker fans who believe that you should honor traditions, honor the efforts of those who came before you, and inspire your team to play championship football, he will not be missed.

I admit I was a big CalFan.  RileyFan too.  However, the last season was a member of anti-cal and anti-riley clubs ...... just after N.Illinois loss.  I know, flip-flop guy

Exceeded OU ('90s) ........

Switzer ==> Gibbs-fail*** ==> Howard-fail ==> Blake-fail ==> Stoops-success

Osborne ==> Solich-fail*** ==>Callahan-fail ==> Pelini-fail*** ==> Riley-fail ==> Frost- ???

*** questionable

Edited by Hooked on Huskers
  • Plus1 2
8 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I can see it now.. Oregon State will be struggling defensively and new coach Jonathan Smith will be scratching his head and saying, “Gee, Mike, I sure don’t know what we can do about this defense.  We’re teaching them, but look at them, it’s like they’re just straining out there.  Do you see the strain? What do we do ?”

and Mike says, “well I know a guy...”

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, secretasianman said:

I can see it now.. Oregon State will be struggling defensively and new coach Jonathan Smith will be scratching his head and saying, “Gee, Mike, I sure don’t know what we can do about this defense.  We’re teaching them, but look at them, it’s like they’re just straining out there.  Do you see the strain? What do we do ?”

and Mike says, “well I know a guy...”

Someone should send Mike Riley a strainer as a housewarming gift.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not