Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not

TGHusker

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Someone help me out here....

Is this the part where we say he was definitely not qualified to be the head coach here because when he left he took a much lesser job?

I'm honestly shocked he took that high of a status position.  I truly expected Admin spot at Oregon State.

9 hours ago, zoogs said:

It just seems so completely unknowable whether both Bo and Riley, one, or neither left bitterly and wanted to stick it to NU. Good takes.

If you would lighten up a little bit you would see that I was making the same point that you were, albeit with a touch more sarcasm.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Oh. It seemed like you were trying to say it was ridiculous when people felt Bo wanted to stick it to NU on his way out of here. I didn't realize you agreed that he did, and Riley didn't. I'm not wound up about it, but I guess I misread.

Um, no.  I don’t think he necessarily did, just like Riley didn’t.  I don’t think taking a “lesser” job necessariily means you weren’t qualified to have your previous job.  It’s just something people like to say to make themselves feel better.

Before you said you can’t know people’s motives.  Are you now saying that you do know people’s motives?

Oh, I see. Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I'm sure he would have taken another job if he felt it was better for him. As for his feelings regarding NU, I think he made that pretty plain himself. But I'm not really keen on getting too much further in the "people were so unfair to Bo" stuff. Agree to disagree, etc. It doesn't matter. We've got Frost now! :) 

Pelini deliberately took a deminimus Youngstown State salary for someone with a resume' like his so he could draw from NU as much as he could.  Perfectly 'reasonable' if you want to stick it to us for firing him (because he wasn't honorable enough to quit).   Riley, on the other hand, found a job within a weed or two.   No doubt as an assistant, not making as much as here but still he demonstrated his good faith and obviously they really do LOVE him in Oregon;   Otherwise why hire him back.  Many have said that Riley was being pushed out.  Doesn't look that way to me.   He failed to win here to make folks happy, includng me.  But he was not a BAD coach and he IS a great human being.   

Edited by 84HuskerLaw

On 12/7/2017 at 2:57 PM, 4skers89 said:

Looks like one busy beaver figured it out. http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7686/mike-riley-named-assistant-hc?page=3

What's great about the events of this season.  GA walked away from millions thus helping us tremendously.

Now Nebraska will be paying for our Assistant Head Coach.  You couldn't ask for a better scenario from a financial perspective.  LOL this is great.

Apathy.  It's such a wonderful thing.  Then one day, you wake up....

s-0ddc980d4f97f56f7784900978bc5c0d69f489

• Plus1 2

I think Pelini and Riley both went to situations where they fit much better. I don't think money was the major factor in their decisions, though I'm sure it played a part.

Bo went back home to Ohio, where hes loved, away from rabid fans, the media spotlight , and the meddling Perlman/Eichorst duo.

Riley went back home to Oregon where they love him too. Lots less pressure there to actually win football games, so he can just be a good guy/ decent coach, and that will be enough.

Good for both of them , and good for us too. We got a much better fit with HC Scott Frost, than either of them were. Things are looking up, :restore

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I think Pelini and Riley both went to situations where they fit much better. I don't think money was the major factor in their decisions, though I'm sure it played a part.

Bo went back home to Ohio, where hes loved, away from rabid fans, the media spotlight , and the meddling Perlman/Eichorst duo.

Riley went back home to Oregon where they love him too. Lots less pressure there to actually win football games, so he can just be a good guy/ decent coach, and that will be enough.

Good for both of them , and good for us too. We got a much better fit with HC Scott Frost, than either of them were. Things are looking up, :restore

Lots of upset Beaver fans.  They remember his last three years along with not firing Banker, Langs, etc.  Thankfully, he's going to be something of a mentor and he's going to recruit.  He can still recruit I think.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Some of you are crazy.  They didn't take lesser jobs to stick it to NU...they did it because they could.

If you won the lotto, would you go take the hardest most pressure filled gig you could?  (Think about it, I will give you 1 minute)

(60 seconds later)

Exactly.  

Nobody offered either of those guys jobs.  And still nobody wants Bo.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not