Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not

TGHusker

On 3/30/2018 at 4:18 PM, 4skers89 said:

Not sure if this is worse but Tennessee is paying Butch Jones millions to be an analyst at Alabama who is paying him $35K.

Objectively worse, but I see the dilemma. It's like asking someone if they'd rather have black lung or consumption.

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I can't see how the market value for MR is more than $50,000. He stunk it up at OSU, especially the last few years, and he took the Huskers to depths not seen since Jennings. We are lucky someone is paying him above minimum wage.

I think his generally pleasant demeanor and approx. 40 years in the coaching world carries some cache. His time as a head coach is probably over but, at a program like OSU, I can see his value as an AHC.

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think his generally pleasant demeanor and approx. 40 years in the coaching world carries some cache. His time as a head coach is probably over but, at a program like OSU, I can see his value as an AHC.

HIs value is in recruiting California.  He has a lot of connections there that the other young coaches don't have.  

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

HIs value is in recruiting California.  He has a lot of connections there that the other young coaches don't have.  

I can see the value for recruiting. Even if he doesn't recruit, someone with a long list of contacts is valuable. As far as a nice demeanor and 40 years of coaching, I see no value. If someone has been stinking it up for 40 years, IMO that is worse that no experience. MR has proven that he cannot improve. A young coach with a few bad years may be able to get better. MR can't even manage the clock or maintain discipline. If you can't even handle simple coaching tasks after 40 years, there is no value in your football knowledge.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I can see the value for recruiting. Even if he doesn't recruit, someone with a long list of contacts is valuable. As far as a nice demeanor and 40 years of coaching, I see no value. If someone has been stinking it up for 40 years, IMO that is worse that no experience. MR has proven that he cannot improve. A young coach with a few bad years may be able to get better. MR can't even manage the clock or maintain discipline. If you can't even handle simple coaching tasks after 40 years, there is no value in your football knowledge.

But at least he's nice, so there's that.

• Mavric changed the title to Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not