Climate effects

Just now, runningblind said:

From what I have witnessed, most B1G defenses have all kinds of trouble playing in space. That is exactly what this offense does.

Likewise, most B1G offenses have trouble playimg from behind when having to throw the ball.

The idea that it has to be done a certain way is narrow minded and honestly plays right into other teams hands. 

Oh I'm not saying Frosts offense won't be effective, I would just be more concerned about the defenses we play than the weather we play in. In other words, the weather has no effect on the offense imo.

The last gane of the year is tyoically the crapiest weather. Traditionally it's pretty cold and windy for black friday games. That's an issue if you want to be pass happy or are down 30 points. I don't see that being a problem anymore though. Rarely does it snow significantly, or get below freezing during the season. I'd say other than the wind Lincoln is pretty ideal for footballl. Usually sunny, first game maybe very hot and last game may be very cold, but the majority of the season is played in 70-50 degree temps.

37 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

You don't understand the native Floridian mindset.  Floridians are weak when it comes to the cold.  It gets down to 70 and THEY are putting on sweaters*.

We were in an outside tent thingy at restaurant in Jacksonville Beach. It was 68° and they had the propane heaters on. 

3 hours ago, STL Husker said:

This has always bothered me.  I have been too hot way more than I have been too cold at a Nebraska game.  Actually the only game I remember being really cold at was 2015 Iowa.  The only game I actually remember significant snow was the 2007 Texas game and it snowed hard but it didn't really stick.  The regular season ends in November well before the heavy snow and cold really hits Nebraska.  Even if the weather was bad, don't these Florida guys want to get a taste of it before playing in Green Bay, Chicago, or anywhere in the northeast in December/January?

That 2015 Iowa game was a rough one.  I thought I bundled up pretty well but my feet were freezing in just a pair of tube socks and sneaks.  p.s. - The passing game was overdone that day.  There was no call for having TA throw it 45 times.

Edited by beorach

The two coldest games I've ever attended were at the Big 12 Championship game in KC (where my feet were packed in ice because they didnt' get it cleared out), and at the PSU game a few years ago.  Not that those games were in Lincoln, but the point is - even if Lincoln was balmy year round, we'd still have road games where it might be chilly/cold.  Teams just have to adapt to the conditions no matter where they call home.

Weather is always made to be a bigger deal than it actually is, particularly in relation to offense. Rain, wind and snow are the most damning things in football and those rarely impact Husker games.

Either way, Frost places a lot of value on running the football. I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska is a 55-60% run team in 2018. That type of balance will work well in the B1G if you are able to actually run the football.

It's no coincidence, in my opinion, that Nebraska's 'best' seasons in the last 10-15 years featured a strong rushing attack. The lack of a consistent rushing attack is one of the biggest issues that doomed the previous regime, too.

39 minutes ago, Saunders said:

I'm trying to think of bad weather/snow games we've played in over the last 15 years or so, and I remember Texas in 2006 (not bad) and Wisconsin in 2014. Am I missing any?

Last home game with Kansas was pretty freaking cold.  Only in the low 30s but there was a breeze the wholetime that made it feel way worse. My feet were numb by the end of the game.

Nebraska Mizzou 2009 was a monsoon.

Edited by ZRod
1 hour ago, GSG said:

I read a post from a UCF fan claiming that Nebraska has 4 months of 6-degree weather or colder :lol:   Most of these southern people have no f'ing clue what they're talking about

Agreed. Although I should probably take offense to that last sentence, unless we count Texas as separate from the South.

We have a cure for the cold weather that the Florida crowd knows nothing of - a Runza in every hand.  Great hand warmer. 

For the players it would do them good to get some practice in the cold to toughen them up before they hit the NFL.   Actually playing in hot humid south should be turned

against them.  I think that is more wearing on the body than being out in the cold.   Having grown up in S. Dak and living in Tulsa for 39 years - I still honestly debate what is worse  - July/Aug in Tulsa or Jan/Feb in S.D.  And it only gets more humid the more south and east you go from Tulsa.

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1

Neither are great, but I'd take potentially cold weather, (it sometimes gets north of 70 degrees in November/December) over high humidity for playing football games.  Now if it gets to 0 or below, or you get freezing rain, yuck, but unlikely.  

Of note, I'm the kind of person that is still wearing shorts/sandals with a sweatshirt or jacket at 32. 

Edited by luckyduck
3 hours ago, GSG said:

I read a post from a UCF fan claiming that Nebraska has 4 months of 6-degree weather or colder :lol:   Most of these southern people have no f'ing clue what they're talking about

They were probably talking about 6 degrees Celsius (about 45 F).  In which case they are just about spot on.

(also, they probably did that on purpose to make it sound colder than it is)

• Plus1 1

I've even heard people say it's because of "wind." As in, because it's typically windier on the plains than in any other part of the country. That just sounds ridiculous.

I say the answer to all of this is "no" and I'd present Ohio State - consistently the best team in the conference - as evidence. They run a spread offense, and even though it doesn't go as fast as Chip Kelly or do identical things it's still similar (and yes, I know they have a big emphasis on the power run as well in their scheme).