Climate effects

Overall I think this offense will work just fine in our climate, and Scott Frost will make the appropriate changes (i.e. run/pass ratio) based on the weather conditions of the game.  Some small concerns below:

1.  It is harder to catch the ball in cold weather, this doesn't make it impossible to have a passing attack in the cold just slightly less effective http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/13/football-freakonomics-the-frozen-conundrum/

2.  My personal opinion is that some '5-star' WRs will always turn away from a Big10 team because they want to maximize their receptions.  I believe their argument has some validity if they pick a school like Arizona St. or Alabama.  Over the course of a 4 year college career, the amount of drops due to weather conditions would probably be less, but I have no statistics to back this up?

P.S.  This is my first post, please let me know if I am committing any faux pas and I will try to self correct.

44 minutes ago, beorach said:

I get irritated by the way Notre Dame allows U$C to dictate the terms of the schedule in regard to weather.  They have to visit before Halloween if the game's in Indiana.  I don't think the Irish should let them get away with not being a real football team.

I'm surprised to hear this. I didn't think Notre Dame let anyone dictate any terms to them, ever. 

I thinks its silly that a recruit would choose weather over tradition and facilities.  If a recruit does that, we don't want them anyway.  Floridian cant handle cold, but they can handle humidity.  Nebraskans can handle cold, but not humidity.  WHO CARES?!! 

Great players wanna be somewhere because of the culture/environment.  Not the forecast.  Id bet good money that Frost wouldn't recruit a kid who would complain about the weather to the extent that it would affect their recruiting decision.  

13 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

I thinks its silly that a recruit would choose weather over tradition and facilities.  If a recruit does that, we don't want them anyway.  Floridian cant handle cold, but they can handle humidity.  Nebraskans can handle cold, but not humidity.  WHO CARES?!! 

Great players wanna be somewhere because of the culture/environment.  Not the forecast.  Id bet good money that Frost wouldn't recruit a kid who would complain about the weather to the extent that it would affect their recruiting decision.  

Honestly 20 degrees in Nebraska is warmer than 40 degrees in Florida. These kids don't understand the humidity works both ways haha. 

• Plus1 1
On 12/8/2017 at 7:05 AM, GamingGlen said:

You don't understand the native Floridian mindset.  Floridians are weak when it comes to the cold.  It gets down to 70 and THEY are putting on sweaters*.  I just laugh.  About 60 they're putting on coats and hats and some switch to long pants from shorts (many wear long pants all year long.. don't know how they put up with the heat).

On 12/8/2017 at 7:45 AM, Gage County said:

We were in an outside tent thingy at restaurant in Jacksonville Beach. It was 68° and they had the propane heaters on. 

I'll not disagree with either of these. Once you get used to weather being in a certain range year-round, anything colder feels like Hoth. 

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Honestly 20 degrees in Nebraska is warmer than 40 degrees in Florida. These kids don't understand the humidity works both ways haha. 

Exactly. 

You cannot say that you want to play in the NFL and then say you only wanna play in warm weather.  Better hope Buffalo doesnt draft you! 

1 hour ago, RunMickeyRun02 said:

I'm surprised to hear this. I didn't think Notre Dame let anyone dictate any terms to them, ever. 

Yeah, the last November game played in Indiana (between the two) was 1959.  I guess there was an agreement between the powers that be around that time.  I guess I was wrong and the game could technically be played on Halloween, as it's still October then, but the point stands.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have said this forever.  It's not logical for a kid to claim his life goal is to play in the NFL then shy away from a school because it's not in a warm climate.

But....these are kids.

I think most kids see (accurately) that the competition for a spot in the NFL is extremely arduous, so they are trying to find any tiny edge they can get in showcasing their talents to the best of their ability.  I think it would be logical for a dual threat quarterback to try to find a school that uses his abilities to the utmost (like at Oregon when they had Chip Kelly/Scott Frost's offense), even though it is unlikely that system will be seen much in the NFL.  Much in the same way, I think WR's can see playing for a warm climate school as a tiny edge in their completions and total yards/TDs etc.

That said I do think you make a sound argument, and more kids should take your advice than not.

• Plus1 1
On 12/8/2017 at 11:43 AM, Saunders said:

I'm trying to think of bad weather/snow games we've played in over the last 15 years or so, and I remember Texas in 2006 (not bad) and Wisconsin in 2014. Am I missing any?

2006 Oklahoma Big XII Championship Game

2009 Missouri

2013 Penn State

2015 Illinois

that's all I can remember.

As far as this whole, "these kids are dumb and they shouldn't care bc the NFL is sometimes cold and we have tradition" argument, give it a rest. Most kids, even if they hope for the NFL, have an underlying understanding that the chances are they won't make it. Even if they do think they will, is the mindset of, "Well, I guess someday down the road I might have to deal with that bad weather stuff 3-4 times a year, but there's not really any need for me to subject myself to it over the next 4-5 years while I have the time of my life in college" not understandable and reasonable, especially for a 17-18 year old kid? 

If I didn't grow up with an allegiance to a program, I'd probably much rather go to a school in a warm-weather area, especially if it's by the beach and/or a big party school. I've also lived in the south, and moved back up north in January and can testify that once you're used to it, the jarring miserableness of leaving warmer climates for colder ones is no joke.

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

2006 Oklahoma Big XII Championship Game

2009 Missouri

2013 Penn State

2015 Illinois

that's all I can remember.

As far as this whole, "these kids are dumb and they shouldn't care bc the NFL is sometimes cold and we have tradition" argument, give it a rest. Most kids, even if they hope for the NFL, have an underlying understanding that the chances are they won't make it. Even if they do think they will, is the mindset of, "Well, I guess someday down the road I might have to deal with that bad weather stuff 3-4 times a year, but there's not really any need for me to subject myself to it over the next 4-5 years while I have the time of my life in college" not understandable and reasonable, especially for a 17-18 year old kid? 

If I didn't grow up with an allegiance to a program, I'd probably much rather go to a school in a warm-weather area, especially if it's by the beach and/or a big party school. I've also lived in the south, and moved back up north in January and can testify that once you're used to it, the jarring miserableness of leaving warmer climates for colder ones is no joke.

I guess what I was getting at was "uniquely bad weather" ala a snow game that you wouldn't see in states that aren't considered the "frozen tundra" of Nebraska.