Rivals Roundtable: Reacting to a wild ride on the coaching carousel

r06ue1

5 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Lots of people liked the Mike Riley hire also.

Let's hope Frost has better success here.

Lot's of people warmed up to the idea of him being coach (including me), but I don't know of very many people who actually LIKED the hire the very first time it was announced. I was definitely disappointed when the breaking notification came through on my phone. Totally different feel this time.

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I was referencing the sports talking heads since that was what the OP was about, others saying we made a good choice. The same thing happened when Riley was hired.

And yes, some people here questioned the hire based on his .500 career winning percentage.

Cowherd was one who hated it. 

2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Initially I had no idea what to think of the Riley hire but soon enough I became hopeful that Riley's reputation for doing more with less would equate to success here. My hopes were dashed like so many others.

Yeah I had a lot of hope for this season and even after the 1st week I was still nervously optimistic. The oregon game pissed me off and the niu game made me give up any hope of the staff working. After that it became "alright, who would be a good hire if Frost didn't come"

45 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You speak for the boosters?

Because Perlman seemed to have a hard time getting support to fire Pelini.

Thought I remember reading he and the ginger tried to fire him in 13. But the regents I think blocked them.

They snuck it through in 14 and the regents got pissed because somewhere about ten years prior they had seen this movie before and didn't like how it ended.

Gotta find that article. It would be funny if it wasn't the autopsy of our football program.

54 minutes ago, Husker2019 said:

Yeah I had a lot of hope for this season and even after the 1st week I was still nervously optimistic. The oregon game pissed me off and the niu game made me give up any hope of the staff working. After that it became "alright, who would be a good hire if Frost didn't come"

The NIU game was definitely the "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH" moment for me this season.  In fact, I may never be over that game.  In that game, it was never more clear that this staff had no business coaching in Lincoln and never more clear that Eichorst's days were numbered for his hire's declining performance on top of prior antics with Friday night games and no Black Friday games.

1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I was referencing the sports talking heads since that was what the OP was about, others saying we made a good choice. The same thing happened when Riley was hired.

And yes, some people here questioned the hire based on his .500 career winning percentage.

With all due respect, it was generally thought to be a good or decent hire but not nearly the response that Frost has gotten. 

Not that it really matters what these guys think. IIRC wasn’t Mcilwain thought to be one of the Home run hires that year 

Similar vibes from Yahoo Sports:

WINNER: NEBRASKA

Scott Frost chose with his heart instead of his brain, which is good news for Cornhuskers fans. There’s no planet on which Nebraska is a better job than Florida. But Frost felt the tug of home, and the cakewalk of the Big Ten West over the mud fight of the SEC. It will be interesting to see how he recruits to his system at Nebraska, as there are no organic local recruiting grounds. But Frost has proven to be a prodigy on the sideline, and the sense here is that recruits will follow a winner. Props to Frost for taking his whole staff from UCF, as that’s a positive karmic vibe going forward.

The shade they throw on Tennessee is quite aggressive.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, husker98 said:

Thought I remember reading he and the ginger tried to fire him in 13. But the regents I think blocked them.

They snuck it through in 14 and the regents got pissed because somewhere about ten years prior they had seen this movie before and didn't like how it ended.

Gotta find that article. It would be funny if it wasn't the autopsy of our football program.

Correct.

The firing of Pelini wasn't exactly a unanimously backed thing.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:56 AM, Enhance said:

Similar vibes from Yahoo Sports:

The shade they throw on Tennessee is quite aggressive.

Um...the shade they throw on Tennessee? Did you read what he said about Nebraska? There's nothing positive in there about us, other than we got Frost by playing on his emotions. Other than saying "Winner: Nebraska", there's nothing in there that would suggest that we "won".

Then again, Pete Thamel is the author of this article--a noted anti-Nebraska, anti-B1G, pro-SEC hack, and someone who has done some rather morally unconscionable things in order to get info on stories about NCAA players (e.g. the Honey Badger debacle of 2012). The former I can overlook--the latter, well, not so much.

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 1