Honest Expectations (Frost and Co)

TAKODA

With all the talk, excitement and the high expectations that us Husker Fans have for our football program, I am wondering what the majority of people are expecting by our hire of Scott Frost and company? 

Are we so starved for success, and the fact that we have been out of the lime light for so long, that it impairs our rational or judgement?  

I for one hope for the best for Frost and Co, and feel that our core culture has been so fragmented, that it will take a little time to get back to our players knowing what that “N” on the side of their helmet represents?  <— Is this fair, to expect kids to repspect what many of of older fans used to take as gospel? Who we were? If it is not fair in your opinion, why not? If so, what does that look like in 6 months, 1 year, 3 years?

I guess the reason for me posting this question, is so people can evaluate from the the depths of their souls, on what they believe constitutes success from their own eyes. No, we do not need to talk of the what if (we do not improve) because I believe out of the gate, Frost will demand and get the most out of our players, to be invested in success, not just going through the motions. I also believe Frost will bring together the fractured fan base, which can have an impact on the results going forward. 

Feel free to chine in with your thoughts on all the above. I for one, look forward to what is ahead of us, but I am also tempering my expectations to a degree, to give adequate time for Frost and Company to get things right. I do not expect the massive turnaround, that UCF just went through from one year to the next. 

:3DN:

• Plus1 2

Expectations for the first couple of years, for me, is progress. Show that you're a tougher team, a more physical team, a more mentally tough team. Show that you're not going to go on the road and lose to an average B1G program by 30-40 points.

I'll start worrying about B1G division titles and conference titles once we can prove the above.

• Plus1 9

Win at least maybe 8-9 games next year but be competitive and look competent on the field.

From there, improve and move the program forward.  Ultimately, playing in CCGs and winning some.  Hopefully that doesn't take more than 3-4 years to accomplish otherwise the natives will start getting restless again.  

Ultimately, make the Huskers once again a program that most other programs dread playing because they know they are going to get their asses kicked.

Coach and manage the program in a manner that represents the school and state well.  Help develop relationships and HS football programs throughout the state so local HS kids have the opportunity to help make the Huskers a dominant program.

Kick Iowa's ass back to the also-ran program they were before.  Beat them so bad every year that everyone just knows Wisconsin is going to be our toughest game in the west and Iowa is just the game at the end of the year we play to end a good season.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1

To resemble a team that represents what Nebraska football has been and should be about. Mental and physical toughness. Playing with tenacity. Outworking and out hustling opponents. Playing with the physicality and strength necessary in all phases of the game to win. Sure tackles from everyone on defense with no more "kinda throw my shoulder out there and hope he trips" tackle attempts. Competition in every aspect of the program resulting in players being able to win spots by practicing well. Guys feeling the heat if they aren't performing on the field. Accountability on and off the field. The implementation of the culture that Scott Frost wants at Nebraska. 

Doing the above will fix a lot of the issues we've had in the past in terms of wins/losses. If this team can be properly motivated and play with physical and mental toughness, the turnaround in the results column will be quicker than most think.

Year 1- Team shows consistent improve and becomes competitive against pretty much anyone we play. We will be understanding if we drop a game or two early on due to the transition. Make a bowl game

Year 2- Start to dominate far lesser opponents, beat the teams we should and beat either Wisconsin or Iowa. Make a decent bowl game. 

Year 3- Win the west, beat both Iowa and Wisconsin, No blowouts, make a better bowl than the year before. Top 15 recruiting class

Years 4-7- Same as year 3. If Coach Frost can get his system established it will just take getting better athletes than what he will start out with on both sides of the ball to consistently win the west and to a BIG championships. 

And in all honestly my expectations may be a year to quick each year

The first year I don't expect miracles, but realistic change.

-Not getting taken to the woodshed by teams we should beat.

-No enormous blowouts.

The second year, I expect to be seeing talk of serious contenders for the West, and handily beating lesser opponents. 

Third year, I want Huskers at Badgers to be THE B1G game to watch. With this game being who goes to the B1G Championship,  and advancing in Top 15 rankings.

I feel this is one of the only coaches in America that our fan base will be patient enough with. Am I still worried about some of the off beat Nebraska fans that will turn on him year one when we don't win every game? Yes.. but we need to be reasonable as a fan base and not get caught up in the wins and losses. 6-6 would NOT be a failed season. With the schedule and change of EVERYTHING. 6 wins is pretty damn good. I know I won't be looking at the win and loss column until year 2-3. I just want to see the players come out with some fire and passion and play hard. 

• Plus1 1

I just want the kids to stop beating themselves.  If we lose, I want to be able to cheer as the victors go by...because our kids made them earn it.  The results will take care of themselves if we can get back to taking care of the little things.  NU has generally won with that formula.  The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Edited by beorach

Living in Ann Arbor Im always asked what is/was the difference between Michigan's program and Nebraska's program. Although its been awhile why has Nebraska had the success that Michigan hasn't been able to obtain consistently. Short answer....Michigan is/was never a "team". They recruit a lot of 4 and 5 stars that are prema donnas. One foot in Ann Arbor and one foot in the NFL. Nebraska may not have had the stars but the "team" succeeded.  I have slowly watched the Nebraska program turn into Michigan until it was totally fractured.

SF will bring the "team" concept back. I don't care who he recruits. As a team they will recapture national prominence. It may sound like a cliche but the "team" is always stronger than the individual. I sensed it out of Orlando. Thats how they did it. Of course this will take 2-3 years but this is the transformation that excites me the most. After all isn't that what TO taught us all?