Recruiting Tangent Thread

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Did I say that somewhere?

54 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Am I not allowed to post my own opinion about anything on this message board?  Or do i need to run it by you first to make sure it meets a criteria you deem worthy?

Do you ever post anything worthy of conversation or do you just follow me around to try and be combative?  Because if you want to go down this road, I'm game.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Neither of those statements refer to me being treated unfairly.  Just that I'd rather not engage in combative posts that don't have anything to do with the topic.

But keep fishing.  Maybe you'll find something.

Or don't because you're making it personal.  And that isn't wise.

• 1 month later...

19 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So now we are sugar coating offers to unrated OT's?  Not good.

Haha definitely not good as of yet. But I trust this type of offer more than I would on the defensive side of the ball. OLine is the one spot on the roster that I don’t blame them for getting creative in who they offer and how they find them. They know what it’s supposed to look like and if they are striking out with their top targets, sometimes stealing an under the radar guy is the way to go. There are a number of G5 OLines that push around bigger schools every year because they find late bloomers or guys who were missed.

We will quickly find out if Frost perhaps shouldn’t have kept all of his previous coaching staff. I admit that so far, Austin has left me a little underwhelmed but I don’t think he will be here long if he’s not cut out for it.

1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

Haha definitely not good as of yet. But I trust this type of offer more than I would on the defensive side of the ball. OLine is the one spot on the roster that I don’t blame them for getting creative in who they offer and how they find them. They know what it’s supposed to look like and if they are striking out with their top targets, sometimes stealing an under the radar guy is the way to go. There are a number of G5 OLines that push around bigger schools every year because they find late bloomers or guys who were missed.

We will quickly find out if Frost perhaps shouldn’t have kept all of his previous coaching staff. I admit that so far, Austin has left me a little underwhelmed but I don’t think he will be here long if he’s not cut out for it.

I don't think they are getting creative.  They are getting desperate.  This is the 47th known offer to an OT.  And last years lone OT might not academically qualify.  They are in trouble in this position and people just keep thinking that everyone the staff offers is underrated, or has great film, or great potential.  It's ridiculous.  There just might be a reason why a kid isn't rated or has a lot of offers.  It might be because they just aren't good enough.  

Is this that type of deal?  I don't know.  But people need to start getting realistic with the recruiting this staff is doing so far.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't think they are getting creative.  They are getting desperate.  This is the 47th known offer to an OT.  And last years lone OT might not academically qualify.  They are in trouble in this position and people just keep thinking that everyone the staff offers is underrated, or has great film, or great potential.  It's ridiculous.  There just might be a reason why a kid isn't rated or has a lot of offers.  It might be because they just aren't good enough.  

Is this that type of deal?  I don't know.  But people need to start getting realistic with the recruiting this staff is doing so far.

That may be true to an extent but the staff still vets every prospect they offer. There is somethimg about this kid they think they can work with or they wouldn't offer. I don't care if Austin has been striking out on the recruiting trail at this point. We need player development along the OLine. Wisconsin grabs QBs and turns them into AAs on the Oline. We don't want to be Wisconsin, but I'll take their Oline with the skill guys Frost can attract. Get the right bodies and coach them up. 

22 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Fair but I think O-line can be greatly fixed with proper coaching and getting the right kid.

Biggest issue with last staff was inability to take un-tapped potential and turn it in to something. I am ok with a few unknowns who get in the weight room and are taught the right technique.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Let me see if I know how this works....

Do you absolutely know for sure that they are getting desperate?  Have you talked to the staff to know that's what's happening?

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

That may be true to an extent but the staff still vets every prospect they offer. There is somethimg about this kid they think they can work with or they wouldn't offer. I don't care if Austin has been striking out on the recruiting trail at this point. We need player development along the OLine. Wisconsin grabs QBs and turns them into AAs on the Oline. We don't want to be Wisconsin, but I'll take their Oline with the skill guys Frost can attract. Get the right bodies and coach them up. 

Wisconsin is not lining up a bunch of walk ons on their OL.  This is such a fallacy.  From 2013 to the 2019 current cycle, Wisconsin has received commitments from:

(1)5 star 

(2) 4 star rated 94

(4) 3 star rated 88-89

(3) 3 star rated 86-87

(2) 3 star rated below 86

(2) 2 star

That's 14 OT's over the last 6+ cycles.  

19 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Seems a bit harsh but I don’t wholly disagree. I’ve expressed some confusion and frustration in the general recruiting threads.

I just can’t imagine our staff would be that desperate in May. It’s also just an offer at this point, I’m sure our staff is still evaluating him. If teams like Ole Miss, Arizona, Louisville, start offering and he quickly becomes a mid to high 3-star, then this offer doesn’t look so questionable.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Let me see if I know how this works....

Do you absolutely know for sure that they are getting desperate?  Have you talked to the staff to know that's what's happening?

Do we know for sure that every unrated player that has been offered is going to be a great get for the team?  No?  Then why don't you call out posters for saying so?

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread