Recruiting Tangent Thread

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Do we know for sure that every unrated player that has been offered is going to be a great get for the team?  No?  Then why don't you call out posters for saying so?

Apples/Oranges. 

We cant know if a player will be great or not, but we can know if the staff is desperate and throwing offers to anyone with a pulse or if these offers are to players they have scouted and they really like.

I get what you are saying that plenty of posters look at everything through husker red glasses but just because this guy doesnt have a lot of offers doesnt mean the staff didnt do there homework or is desperate.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Do we know for sure that every unrated player that has been offered is going to be a great get for the team?  No?  Then why don't you call out posters for saying so?

Why do you call out posters for not having 100% verified information but have no problem throwing out the same yourself?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Apples/Oranges. 

We cant know if a player will be great or not, but we can know if the staff is desperate and throwing offers to anyone with a pulse or if these offers are to players they have scouted and they really like.

I get what you are saying that plenty of posters look at everything through husker red glasses but just because this guy doesnt have a lot of offers doesnt mean the staff didnt do there homework or is desperate.

They have offered 47 scholarships to players listed as OT's for 2019.  I feel when you get to the 40's and the offer is to unrated players, it's getting a little desperate.  Feel free to disagree.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

No, you can't actually know that.

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Would you feel better if I said, "in my opinion, it looks like desperation"?

I don't know.  You seem to be the self-appointed police for what people can say and how they can say it. 

Can people have a general understanding that basically everything on a message board is either third-hand information or an option without explicitly stating such or do we have to be exactly precise in how we say everything?

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't think they are getting creative.  They are getting desperate.  This is the 47th known offer to an OT.  And last years lone OT might not academically qualify.  They are in trouble in this position and people just keep thinking that everyone the staff offers is underrated, or has great film, or great potential.  It's ridiculous.  There just might be a reason why a kid isn't rated or has a lot of offers.  It might be because they just aren't good enough.  

Is this that type of deal?  I don't know.  But people need to start getting realistic with the recruiting this staff is doing so far.

This could be a worst case scenario back-up plan for all we know.  I also think we're going to have trouble recruiting players at positions like this, even with a new coaching staff, until we start showing we aren't going to just squander their talents.

Just now, RedSavage said:

This could be a worst case scenario back-up plan for all we know.  I also think we're going to have trouble recruiting players at positions like this, even with a new coaching staff, until we start showing we aren't going to just squander their talents.

But we have the National Coach of the Year and he brought his entire great coaching staff with him to Nebraska and they beat Auburn and went undefeated and with all of this he is going to be able to get whoever he wants.........

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No, you can't actually know that.

The staff can.

My point is that it is knowledge that can be known compared to a player progressing to be a good college players is up in the air.

I was actually agreeing with you. I dont think St. Paul knows if they are desperate, but the coaching staff knows there strategy. They wont share it with outsiders but it could be a known piece.

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Wisconsin is not lining up a bunch of walk ons on their OL.  This is such a fallacy.  From 2013 to the 2019 current cycle, Wisconsin has received commitments from:

(1)5 star 

(2) 4 star rated 94

(4) 3 star rated 88-89

(3) 3 star rated 86-87

(2) 3 star rated below 86

(2) 2 star

That's 14 OT's over the last 6+ cycles.  

5 star is a current commit not on campus, wouldn't count him. They have produced great lines with mostly mid to lower rated 3 star guys. Not that that should be our only formula, but point being hopefully we have a program in place where we can take guys like this and turn them into quality players because our player development is the focus. Not everybody is going to be an all conference player, but I believe our staff is going to target guys they think can contribute to a championship squad.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't know.  You seem to be the self-appointed police for what people can say and how they can say it. 

Can people have a general understanding that basically everything on a message board is either third-hand information or an option without explicitly stating such or do we have to be exactly precise in how we say everything?

eyeroll.gif

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

But we have the National Coach of the Year and he brought his entire great coaching staff with him to Nebraska and they beat Auburn and went undefeated and with all of this he is going to be able to get whoever he wants.........

Why are you trying to throw this in everyone's face, when you made the exact same argument when Frost was first hired? Or do I need to find the post again?

My guess is this is a back-up offer. Why do I suggest that, well because (1) it is the 47th or so OT offer not the 1st, (2) there a number of other OT offers made ahead of this one where the prospect has not committed elsewhere and Nebraska is still recruiting, and (3) you don't see Anderson committing on the spot or a flood of CB predictions for Nebraska (so this may not be a committable offer at the moment).

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

5 star is a current commit not on campus, wouldn't count him. They have produced great lines with mostly mid to lower rated 3 star guys. Not that that should be our only formula, but point being hopefully we have a program in place where we can take guys like this and turn them into quality players because our player development is the focus. Not everybody is going to be an all conference player, but I believe our staff is going to target guys they think can contribute to a championship squad.

I literally said COMMITMENT from 2013 to CURRENT 2019 cycle.

And I just proved that over the last 6 recruiting cycles they had more upper 3 star compared to lower.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Why are you trying to throw this in everyone's face, when you made the exact same argument when Frost was first hired? Or do I need to find the post again?

My guess is this is a back-up offer. Why do I suggest that, well because (1) it is the 47 or so OT offer not the first, (2) there a number of other OT offers made ahead of this one where the prospect has not committed elsewhere and Nebraska is still recruiting, and (3) you don't see Anderson committing on the spot or a flood of CB predictions for Nebraska (so this may not be a committable offer at the moment).

Lol.  "backup" offer.  

• Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread