Recruiting Tangent Thread

2 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Thought it would be interesting to look at OL recruitment under Chip Kelly for perspective (as that may be a better comparison to what Frost will emulate). From 2007 to the 2012 recruiting cycle, Oregon received commitments from:

(0)5 star 

(6) 4 star rated 90-94

(1) 3 star rated 88-89

(3) 3 star rated 86-87

(5) 3 star rated below 86

(1) 2 star

(3) Unrated

That's 19 OL's over 6 cycles.

Just for another reference point, Nebraska from 2013 to 2019 received commitments from:

(0)5 star 

(3) 4 star rated 90-94

(4) 3 star rated 88-89

(5) 3 star rated 86-87

(9) 3 star rated below 86

(0) 2 star

(0) Unrated

That's 21 in 6+ cycles.

This has nothing to do with Oregon or Nebraska

It was to squash this notion that Wisconsin only fields 2 star converted TE's into All American linemen every year

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Because I'm not the thought police.  People can have their own opinions and I don't feel the need to always shoot them down even if I disagree with them.

That is exactly what you are doing to me.  

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

That is exactly what you are doing to me.  

No, I'm not.  I never said you were right or wrong.  I said you often nit-pick at other people's posts but then had no problem throwing out your own claims that can't be verified.  Thus my question about realizing that most of what people say is their own opinion and not making them put forth a proof to be able to post.

Just now, Mavric said:

No, I'm not.  I never said you were right or wrong.  I said you often nit-pick at other people's posts but then had no problem throwing out your own claims that can't be verified.  Thus my question about realizing that most of what people say is their own opinion and not making them put forth a proof to be able to post.

It's my opinion.  And I said I would phrase it as such moving forward.  Just make sure you are an equal opportunity criticizer to those posters that say things without saying it is an opinion.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

It's my opinion.  And I said I would phrase it as such moving forward.  Just make sure you are an equal opportunity criticizer to those posters that say things without saying it is an opinion.

You shouldn't have to say it's an opinion.  Most rational people realize that.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

You shouldn't have to say it's an opinion.  Most rational people realize that.

Then you aren't being rational by calling me out about me saying the staff is desperate and asking if I know what they are thinking.

Unless you are trolling me into a fight.  Which would be unseemly as a moderator

• Plus1 1

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Then you aren't being rational by calling me out about me saying the staff is desperate and asking if I know what they are thinking.

Unless you are trolling me into a fight.  Which would be unseemly as a moderator

I'm trying to point out that what you do to others kind of sucks and makes for crappy threads.

• Plus1 3
36 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It barely deserves a response.  But I will oblige.  The thing I asked specifics of is when people say things about a player and say stuff like, "He's our third option at this position." Or "We like him at DT instead of DE."  And then I ask how they know this intimate detail.

But, again, you're awfully silent when a poster says things like, "He starts day one" or "He is so underrated."

I guess I don't have a problem with fans being fans of a program and being optimistic and excited about potential players.

I also don't understand fans who have a problem with other fans being optimistic.  Isn't that what makes being a fan of a team fun?

Why do you feel you need to be on a crusade to throw a wet blanket on people who are excited about the program right now?

• Plus1 2
Just now, Mavric said:

I'm trying to point out that what you do to others kind of sucks and makes for crappy threads.

Look.  When someone says something about a player that is very specific I ask them how they know that.  And the few that I have done that to, have replied that they subscribe to recruiting services and that is what insiders say.  And since, I have left it alone.  

I said the coaching staff is desperate.  And I have said that from now on I will say that is my opinion.  Which, evidently I don't have to do because we're all rational thinkers.  But yet you still want to go round and round.  

• Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread