Recruiting Tangent Thread

6 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

You know what will help get better recruits?  People WHINING about the ones we ARE getting before this staff has even coached a game here.

To be fair, StPaul is not complaining about the recruits that are committing, rather the offers to prospects who are some combination of low rated, few Power 5 offers, hold an UCF offer, qualifier risks, or are undersized. Also, complaints about recruits not committing...(currently June).

7 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

To be fair, StPaul is not complaining about the recruits that are committing, rather the offers to prospects who are some combination of low rated, few Power 5 offers, hold an UCF offer, qualifier risks, or are undersized. Also, complaints about recruits not committing...(currently June).

I’m just surprised and a little disappointed that with everything Frost was being celebrated for that it didn’t really translate to some highly rated recruits jumping on board early.  Its not really a complaint but more of a pessimistic observation.

Maybe it will happen in a year or two.  I just thought there would have been more to him with recruiting earlier on.

That doesn’t mean he can’t develop players or anything like that.  Strictly recruiting speaking, we are pulling pretty much the same ranked players that the last 4 coaches have.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I’m just surprised and a little disappointed that with everything Frost was being celebrated for that it didn’t really translate to some highly rated recruits jumping on board early.  Its not really a complaint but more of a pessimistic observation.

Maybe it will happen in a year or two.  I just thought there would have been more to him with recruiting earlier on.

That doesn’t mean he can’t develop players or anything like that.  Strictly recruiting speaking, we are pulling pretty much the same ranked players that the last 4 coaches have.

This is the most rational way that you have stated your perspective. I think you are right, too an extent. The only reservation that I have about fully agreeing is (1) the 2018 recruiting class under Frost finished very strong and (2) we are only in June for the 2019 cycle and there is way too much time until NSD to assume we know how this class finishes. For how long the recruiting process is and how in the dark fans are about recruiting strategies, I feel the best perspective is to not overreact to the day-to-day but to be patient with the process. Now, the story changes in January.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I get the impression that he is after system fit,  work ethic and relationships/ culture fit. These low rated offers now are to kids the staff already knows. 

They will go after the highly rated kids also,  but will not hesitate with others if they think they have found something. 

Simply being high rated doesn't guarantee anything.  Having multiple top 10 classes in a row doesn't either,  look at Michigan.  

He has a system and won't deviate.  I think he also might be too blunt/honest for some highly rated kids who just want attention.  In my book,  that is a great thing.

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I get the impression that he is after system fit,  work ethic and relationships/ culture fit. These low rated offers now are to kids the staff already knows. 

They will go after the highly rated kids also,  but will not hesitate with others if they think they have found something. 

Simply being high rated doesn't guarantee anything.  Having multiple top 10 classes in a row doesn't either,  look at Michigan.  

He has a system and won't deviate.  I think he also might be too blunt/honest for some highly rated kids who just want attention.  In my book,  that is a great thing.

Show me one coach that says they are just trying to recruit the best players regardless of fit.

No one said that being high rated is a guarantee but when you have a 4-5 star player that doesn't pan out and you have other 4-5 star players to fill in, it works out.  See:  Clemson, Alabama, Ohio St.  

Recruiting is only one part.  Coaching and development are the other 2.  See Alabama, Ohio St, Penn St, Clemson

If he can do it game after game in the B1G with his system, then God bless him.  I see Urban Meyer and James Franklin taking the other approach and being very successful.

14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Show me one coach that says they are just trying to recruit the best players regardless of fit.

No one said that being high rated is a guarantee but when you have a 4-5 star player that doesn't pan out and you have other 4-5 star players to fill in, it works out.  See:  Clemson, Alabama, Ohio St.  

Recruiting is only one part.  Coaching and development are the other 2.  See Alabama, Ohio St, Penn St, Clemson

If he can do it game after game in the B1G with his system, then God bless him.  I see Urban Meyer and James Franklin taking the other approach and being very successful.

When I talk about scheme and culture fit, that is specifically referring to guys they think can be coached and developed.

UCF had disadvantages, and so does NU compared to the population bases around all the other schools you mention. 

You have to take a different approach at a UCF or here.  You can't simply say "imitate Urban Meyer" and expect that to happen.  I read the other day that 50% of the US population lives within 500 miles of Columbus, Ohio. You think it was any coincidence Urban chose that school?

Nebraska has always been about out working, and out scheming opponents. Never has it been about out talenting anyone to win titles.

20 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Nebraska has always been about out working, and out scheming opponents. Never has it been about out talenting anyone to win titles.

Nebraska's 95 NC team starters consisted of 2 5 star RB's, 6 High School All American's and 10 High School All State players from like 4-5 different states.  Let's be real here.

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Nebraska's 95 NC team starters consisted of 2 5 star RB's, 6 High School All American's and 10 High School All State players from like 4-5 different states.  Let's be real here.

But, I dont think it takes that to win a national championship. 

It may take that to win a national championship and also be considered the most dominating and best team in the history of college football.

20 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But, I dont think it takes that to win a national championship. 

It may take that to win a national championship and also be considered the most dominating and best team in the history of college football.

Exactly Huskers.  When NU finally got that talent it created the best team ever. That was never the M.O. because that was not the normal level of talent. It was about hard work and coaching.

• Plus1 1
On 6/5/2018 at 8:00 PM, Moiraine said:

I'm starting to wonder if Frost wronged StPaulHusker in some way. I don't spend a ton of time on the recruiting forum but this seems to happen in every single topic. There seems to be something wrong with every offer and every commit.

Frost promised one day we would trade cars, and he'd let me drive his Jag while he drove my old commuter car. 

It's been almost ten years. I still haven't gotten that Jag for a day.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Frost promised one day we would trade cars, and he'd let me drive his Jag while he drove my old commuter car. 

It's been almost ten years. I still haven't gotten that Jag for a day.

He probably sold it the next day just to spite you. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread