Huskers Announce Future Non-Conference Opponents

Mavric

4 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I really like the idea of moving the second part of that CU series out to the 2030's and playing in 2 of those "neutral site" kickoff games with an SEC team. Maybe host our home game in KC at Arrowhead. Something like...

LSU at the Superdome 

or

TAMU at Jerryworld

OR!

Florida in Jacksonville 

Edit--

I really wouldn't mind scheduling a h/h with UCF/USF/FSU/UF either. We're gonna recruit the hell out of Florida with Frost and this staff here. Might as well play there if we can.

I wouldn't consider any of those 3 locations a neutral site. Might as well do true home and home with them if that's how it'll be.

FBS has too many teams for us (130 right now) to be dipping down another level, imo, but maybe this is the new status quo?  Texas alone has a dozen football programs classified as belonging to the top division:

Texas

Texas A&M

Rice

Houston

UTEP

UTSA

Texas State

North Texas

Baylor

TCU

Texas Tech

SMU

Getting back to the matter of the status quo, I did a quick bit of math to determine that there were 98 games played between FBS and FCS teams last (this) season.  If no FBS team played more than one FCS team, that would mean 75% of FBS programs played a game against an FCS team.  Based on what I'm looking at on cfbstats.com, it would appear that's the case.  The following B1G teams didn't play this kind of cupcake in 2017:

Illinois

Iowa

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Wisconsin

That's almost 80% of the conference, such that we're bucking the national trend.

Here's the SEC list:

Florida

I suppose that's enough for now...

Edited by beorach

23 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Since when did Nebraska NOT feature patsies in the non-con schedule?

Our mid-90s powerhouse teams always feasted on one or two Pacifics, Akrons or North Texases

Yes for as long as I can remember the formula has been 2 or 3 gimmie's and 1 home and home. The only thing that's changed is whether we have 3 or 4 non-con games. 

Edited by RunMickeyRun02
On 12/14/2017 at 10:00 AM, seaofred92 said:

I really like the idea of moving the second part of that CU series out to the 2030's and playing in 2 of those "neutral site" kickoff games with an SEC team. Maybe host our home game in KC at Arrowhead. Something like...

LSU at the Superdome 

or

TAMU at Jerryworld

OR!

Florida in Jacksonville 

Edit--

I really wouldn't mind scheduling a h/h with UCF/USF/FSU/UF either. We're gonna recruit the hell out of Florida with Frost and this staff here. Might as well play there if we can.

Sign me up for the first two. 

It’s time to absolutely dismantle these neighbor FCS schools. Make Nebraska kids second think a scholly to a school who stands no chance against P5 and especially NU.

It’s a feel good story for the SDSUs, and NDSUs, etc. when they have success, but their success hinders what we want to see in Lincoln. The walk-on offer will become more intriguing as soon as NDSU and SDSU aren’t hanging around as the top FCS schools. 

13 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

It’s time to absolutely dismantle these neighbor FCS schools. Make Nebraska kids second think a scholly to a school who stands no chance against P5 and especially NU.

It’s a feel good story for the SDSUs, and NDSUs, etc. when they have success, but their success hinders what we want to see in Lincoln. The walk-on offer will become more intriguing as soon as NDSU and SDSU aren’t hanging around as the top FCS schools. 

That doesn't seem realistic considering the cost of school.  

As much as this non-conference scheduling 25 years out gives fans existential dread, aren't schedules much more malleable when your team is good? Like Wisconsin is always playing someone big somewhere cool, was that done when they weren't this good? 

Oklahoma is nice, as was Oregon, but getting a big time SEC program on the schedule would be fantastic. Otherwise, call up every team in the AAC to fill other spots in the future.