Huskers Announce Future Non-Conference Opponents

Mavric

On 12/14/2017 at 11:00 AM, seaofred92 said:

I really like the idea of moving the second part of that CU series out to the 2030's and playing in 2 of those "neutral site" kickoff games with an SEC team. Maybe host our home game in KC at Arrowhead. Something like...

LSU at the Superdome 

or

TAMU at Jerryworld

OR!

Florida in Jacksonville 

Edit--

I really wouldn't mind scheduling a h/h with UCF/USF/FSU/UF either. We're gonna recruit the hell out of Florida with Frost and this staff here. Might as well play there if we can.

Those are all examples much like saying we'd play our 'home' game in Omaha vs Lincoln for those schools.  If you want a neutral site, maybe play LSU in Jerry dome or play Florida in Indianapolis.   Play UT in the Georgia dome.   No sense making those Florida fans drive an extra 45 minutes to a stadium in the home state.  Why inconvenience NU fans by going to KC ?  The stadium will still be a home crowd for Huskers so FL has no incentive.

Most of these games are scheduled because Nebraska doesn't want to travel to an away game at the oppoent's site because the cost is too high.  Millions $$  

38 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Those are all examples much like saying we'd play our 'home' game in Omaha vs Lincoln for those schools.  If you want a neutral site, maybe play LSU in Jerry dome or play Florida in Indianapolis.   Play UT in the Georgia dome.   No sense making those Florida fans drive an extra 45 minutes to a stadium in the home state.  Why inconvenience NU fans by going to KC ?  The stadium will still be a home crowd for Huskers so FL has no incentive.

Most of these games are scheduled because Nebraska doesn't want to travel to an away game at the oppoent's site because the cost is too high.  Millions $$  

Instead we will just shell out million + to lose to NIU at home! 

10 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

That doesn't seem realistic considering the cost of school.  

I do get $$ plays a part and I dont think it will eliminate it, but I do think if those regional schools who have recruited Nebraska kids better than Nebraska begin to fail, the allure will fade when they’re not playing for championships. I don’t think its just a business decision for most kids. There are also the kids who want to win and be a part of a winning culture and play with and against the best competition. 

I also think there should be a minimum of 3 Nebraska kids in a scholarship class every year. Through the TO 90s, there were no less than 3 (happened once in ‘94). Yes we have had a few years of 3-4 NE kids sign with the Huskers under Bo and Riley, but that same time they also whiffed on the best kids in state....Phillips, Fant, Bubak, Stick, DeLuca(sp?), CJ Johnson, etc. All kids who could currently be starters. 

Get the top nebraska kids on scholarship, more top Nebraska kids will walk-on. When we begin to beat the snot out of SDSU and these FCS teams fade, some kids will hold Nebraska offers, and there will be others who grew up diehard Nebraska fans who also see themselves as equal talent as scholarship players, they will be more inclined to accept a walk-on offer to earn a scholarship. That’s how Nebraska kids are.

IMO, it’s just not all about the money.

• Plus1 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:30 PM, Savage Husker said:

I do get $$ plays a part and I dont think it will eliminate it, but I do think if those regional schools who have recruited Nebraska kids better than Nebraska begin to fail, the allure will fade when they’re not playing for championships. I don’t think its just a business decision for most kids. There are also the kids who want to win and be a part of a winning culture and play with and against the best competition. 

I also think there should be a minimum of 3 Nebraska kids in a scholarship class every year. Through the TO 90s, there were no less than 3 (happened once in ‘94). Yes we have had a few years of 3-4 NE kids sign with the Huskers under Bo and Riley, but that same time they also whiffed on the best kids in state....Phillips, Fant, Bubak, Stick, DeLuca(sp?), CJ Johnson, etc. All kids who could currently be starters. 

Get the top nebraska kids on scholarship, more top Nebraska kids will walk-on. When we begin to beat the snot out of SDSU and these FCS teams fade, some kids will hold Nebraska offers, and there will be others who grew up diehard Nebraska fans who also see themselves as equal talent as scholarship players, they will be more inclined to accept a walk-on offer to earn a scholarship. That’s how Nebraska kids are.

IMO, it’s just not all about the money.

As time goes on, it becomes more and more about the money because of how costs have escalated.  I went to UNL from 93-96.  It cost me roughly 20 grand.  My first job paid me 30 grand.  It's now costing 80 grand or more.  How many graduates are going to get 80+ grand jobs right after graduation?  I gave up a full ride to Chadron because I didn't want to go there and 20 grand didn't seem like too much of a burden in order to attend UNL.  I don't regret it a bit.  However,, if I was faced with this same decision today with todays cost I'd have no choice other than taking the full ride and attending Chadron State.