Passing offense under Frost

About to find out if it's a "Nebraska" problem or a coaching problem......

I have a guess.

Tommy Armstrong:  67  44

Kellogg (2013): 7  4

Fyfe: 10  6

Lee: 23  16

Obrien: 0   1

Total since 2013 season: 107   71

(I was rushed, but believe this to be pretty dang close to accurate)

Edited by funhusker
  • Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think one thing Frost does really well is scheme to get guys open.  If you watch his games there are guys wide open a lot of the times.  It is impressive

He also utilizes a lot of targets, meaning the QB isn't trying to choose from a series of bad options. Football is a lot like life, give people quality choices and you reduce the number of bad outcomes.

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think one thing Frost does really well is scheme to get guys open.  If you watch his games there are guys wide open a lot of the times.  It is impressive

This has been a big frustration of mine this year.  I would have thought we would have had way more wide open WRs.  We have told talent at the position.  We had a good coach teaching rout running.  We had two coaches who supposedly were good at designing a passing attack.

But, we ended up with WRs having to constantly catch balls with tight coverage or in traffic.

It always puzzled me.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This has been a big frustration of mine this year.  I would have thought we would have had way more wide open WRs.  We have told talent at the position.  We had a good coach teaching rout running.  We had two coaches who supposedly were good at designing a passing attack.

But, we ended up with WRs having to constantly catch balls with tight coverage or in traffic.

It always puzzled me.

I remember one season of mine...during class I drew up this nasty pass play and you should have seen how wide open the two guys got...it was a trips route but one guy was never thrown too...we must have run the same play 8 times in the game...and it was AWESOME...until they caught on and picked it off and went to the house...

But it was fun while it lasted!  We lost the game...something like 38-32

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It always puzzled me.

I honestly think that defensive coaches were able to catch on quickly to what Riley and Langsdorf were doing on offense.  They had been doing the same things for years at Oregon State.

14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Agreed.

Just as a "for fun" and tangential reference point, I watched a large bit of the 1994 Colorado game yesterday where Berringer started. I totally realize that you can't draw many comparisons to that team and anything that might happen to our team in the next few seasons (mainly due to what we had in our offensive line and Lawrence Phillips).

But at any rate, the way Dr. Tom would get his tight ends open in space through savant-like play calling was a thing of beauty. He'd do it out of the shotgun. He'd do it out of play action. Incredible. Colorado's DC must have just been ******* his pants.

We would need our offensive line to show up in big ways so that our I-Backs can get the run game going next season to help facilitate this type of thing more. But my point is, having a QB that's more of a "throw first, run second" mobile guy is something I'd love to watch. The Joe Ganz guy. The Brook Berringer guy. 

I'm excited for whatever we do under Frost on offense. I have almost no doubt that it'll be better than the product Watson & Beck drew up under Bo and I think it's less dependent on having that incredible offensive line.  

Edited by Undone
  • Plus1 1

Tommie Armstrong

12 hours ago, HerbieHancock said:

Haven't had a game changer at QB for a long time..... giddy up 

The kind of QB you're talking about is rare anywhere.  If it was so easy, Alabama would have a stockpile.  ;)

I mostly wanted to respond because Tommy Armstrong earned more respect than that, though.  He did a lot, relative to what he could do with the hand he was dealt at NU, as evidenced by the excerpt below from Huskers.com.  I feel like TA could have been a Heisman contender in a better program.  As it was, the first two MR seasons could have been a lot worse.  I've seen it argued that TA was the wild card that made Riley's offense viable during that stretch (because other coaches had already figured it out).

Honors & Awards
» Honorable-Mention All-Big Ten (Media, Coaches, 2016)
» 2016 Tom Novak Trophy
» Team Captain (2015)
» Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week (vs. Southern Miss, vs. Michigan State, 2015, at Northwestern, 2016, vs. Minnesota, 2016)
» Foster Farms Bowl Offensive MVP (2015 vs. UCLA)
» Rose Bowl Big Ten Player of the Week (Fresno State, 2016)
» Davey O'Brien Award Watch List (2016)
» Maxwell Award Watch List (2015, 2016)
» Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Watch List (2015, 2016)
» Honorable-Mention Big Ten All-Freshman Team (BTN, 2013)
» Big Ten Freshman of the Week (vs. Michigan, 2013)
» Longest Pass in Nebraska History and NCAA Bowl History (99 yards vs. Georgia)
» Nebraska Career Record Holder--Passing Yards, Passing Completions, Passing Touchdowns,
Total Offense, Total TDs Responsible for, Career Starts by a Quarterback, 250-Yard Passing Games, 300-Yard Passing Games, 300-Yard Total Offense Games
» Nebraska Junior Record for Passing Yards in a Season
» Nebraska Sophomore Record Holder - Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Total Offense
» Nebraska Bowl Game Record Holder - Passing Yards, Passing TDs, Pass Completions,
    Pass Attempts, Total Offense (2014 Holiday Bowl vs. USC)
» Nebraska Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll (Fall, 2012)
» Brook Berringer Citizenship Team (2016)
» Tom Osborne Citizenship Team (2016)

Armstrong's Nebraska Rankings
» Career Passing Yards, 1st (8,871 yards)
» Career Pass Completions, 1st (625 completions)
» Career Touchdown Passes, 1st (67 touchdowns)
» Career Total Offense, 1st (10,690 yards)
» Career Total Touchdowns, 1st (91 touchdowns)
» Career 250-Yard Passing Games, 1st (14 games)
» Career 300-Yard Total Offense Games, 1st (11 games)
» Career Starts by a Quarterback, 1st (44 starts)
» Season Passing Yards, 3rd/5th (3,030 yards in 2015, 2,695 yards in 2014)
» Season Passing Touchdowns, 4th (22 TDs in both 2014 and 2015)
» Season Passing Completions, 5th (222 completions, 2015)
» Season Total Offense, 3rd/4th (3,430 yards in 2015, 3,400 yards in 2014)
» Season 300-Yard Passing Games, 2nd (4, 2015)
» Season 250-Yard Passing Games, 1st-tied (8, 2015)
» Season 300-Yard Total Offense Games, 1st-tied (6, 2015)

Edited by beorach
  • Plus1 1

Frost makes A LOT of use of numbers games.  Maybe almost exclusively.  Will almost always have at least three wide receivers, maybe more.  If you only leave six guys in the box, it'll often be a run play either because they know how you're lining up to defend them or via an RPO.  If you put seven guys in the box, they'll throw.  And so on.

Try to find the best matchup based on what the defense is doing and get the ball to someone with space to work.  Put your guys in a position to succeed.  What a concept.

• Plus1 3
29 minutes ago, beorach said:

Tommie Armstrong

13 hours ago, HerbieHancock said:

Haven't had a game changer at QB for a long time..... giddy up 

The kind of QB you're talking about is rare anywhere.  If it was so easy, Alabama would have a stockpile.  ;)

I mostly wanted to respond because Tommy Armstrong earned more respect than that, though.  He did a lot, relative to what he could do with the hand he was dealt at NU, as evidenced by the excerpt below from Huskers.com.  I feel like TA could have been a Heisman contender in a better program.  As it was, the first two MR seasons could have been a lot worse.  I've seen it argued that TA was the wild card that made Riley's offense viable during that stretch (because other coaches had already figured it out).

Agreed with TA being a game changer. I also don't know how you call Taylor Martinez anything but that.  Unless the argument was that he was a while ago. 

• Plus1 2