Devaney gone?

21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

He helped look at film of high school players and advised who to offer...I think he also helped figure out how to get the team ready for 11am games.

Devaney's biggest problem that he was used to watching film on potential NFL players, and he couldn't get a grasp of watching film on high school kids.  His advice on who to offer wasn't exactly the strongest advice.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

He helped look at film of high school players and advised who to offer...I think he also helped figure out how to get the team ready for 11am games.

If we were to hire another assistant on staff to do that, it would make more sense if they were below the head coach in rank, and learned from the head coach what he wants to see as far as talent evaluation.  I get that Frost can't be everywhere and do everything, but his vision needs to be the "unified" vision.  Just like he said in the intro presser.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

If we were to hire another assistant on staff to do that, it would make more sense if they were below the head coach in rank, and learned from the head coach what he wants to see as far as talent evaluation.  I get that Frost can't be everywhere and do everything, but his vision needs to be the "unified" vision.  Just like he said in the intro presser.

Yeah, I agree.  

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

The position makes a lot of sense and is a good idea.  They just need a college dude in it that actually you know, respects the head coach and stuff.

Yep.  I don't mind the position at all.  I think he was a major reason Banker (and probably Reed) got fired.  Which was a great move.  We just did a terrible job hiring the next guy.

The biggest problem with Devaney's time here is that position needs to be an adviser to give a different look at things.  But when the HC is pretty much a pushover, there isn't any clear purpose or decision making process.  So things end up going in 1000 different directions.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Mavric said:

Yep.  I don't mind the position at all.  I think he was a major reason Banker got fired.  Which was a great move.  We just did a terrible job hiring the next guy.

The biggest problem with Devaney's time here is that position needs to be an adviser to give a different look at things.  But when the HC is pretty much a pushover, there isn't any clear purpose or decision making process.  So things end up going in 1000 different directions.

That was Riley's biggest problem.  He had so many people coming to him to "help him out" and Riley tried to agree with everyone and give the autonomy to people to do those things, the program ended up going all over the place.  The players had to be confused because they were probably told so many different things, by so many different coaches/advisors, that they didn't know who they were responsible to.  When that accountability is gone, it's no wonder when the players start to slack off during S&C, practices, and have no fear of their job being taken away by poor play in the games.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Can someone show me where we learned exactly what Devaney's day-to-day duties were, how he watched film, what decisions he made, etc?  Apparently this guy is so off my radar that I have no idea what he's done.  Appreciate any links or help. 

Pretty sure no one outside North Stadium really knows what he did.  A bunch of the media guys have been asked and they don't really know either.

• Plus1 2

Interesting to see what a total failure the leadership at the University of Nebraska was for the football program.   The Eichorst Boys found a great PR yes man for a Head Coach then burned up the program.  Even before Moose was hired I had given some thought the the machine that UW Badgers have become under the leadership of Barry A.  ,  the program has continued to March On under his "My Way or the Highway"  leadership style, the real coach change at Wisconsin will happen if Barry retires.  When Tom retired ( as a coach) the program started to lose its identity because no one in power could sustain the culture.  Perhaps the Frost / Bill M. combo can bring back a winning culture.